Sign in to follow this  
Golddrakken

Dummy may need help starting private LAN server?

Installed WU via Steam...started local server by reading thru this guide on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539113618

Had 2 choices for the 'map': 'Adventure' and 'Creative' -- I chose 'Adventure' -- because I thought I'd have an in-game tutorial, and begin in a 'starter town', etc.  But when I finally got my character into the game I spawned into country-side near a small Village named 'Winkshir'...when I approached I was attacked by 'Spirit Templars' (spelling?) 😡  On my own private world/server??!

Ran away, far enough that the 3 templars went back to the village...then I looked at in-game map and can find only three icons for locations on the map: Winkshir on east side; Hearth on west side; and Litocania to the south.  Nothing to indicate a 'starter town' or 'safe area' where a new player can begin.

Did I set something up incorrectly while getting the server/game to start, in that I did not spawn as new player at a starter town, and I have locations that attack me on-sight within first moments in-game?  Or is this part of the "Adventure" on that map?  Perhaps I was misinformed, in that I thought I'd be beginning as new player at a 'starter town', etc.?

I started the beginner tutorial, which begins with basic controls, movements, etc. and has me equip items from inventory -- when I got to the stage where it wanted me to cut down a tree I logged out to look at the settings on the launcher and for the LAN server to see if there was something that stood out as being incorrect for what I wanted...then when I logged back into the game 15-20 minutes later the starter tutorial was re-set back to the beginning, as though I'd not done the stages from the previous log-in...is data not saved because I quit while out in the country-side, and not in a village/town or on a deed, etc.?

Played the game many years ago (started in 2009), but not via Steam, and not on own server, etc. -- I'm hoping I overlooked something simple that can be changed on the server settings.

I also noticed, or rather could not find, a way to delete the LAN server I started and begin again...would I have to go into files on my computer and delete the server there, to try again?

Sorry for rambling questions...any help or links to guides that would help someone like me who's not computer 'savvy' would be helpful.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

Firstly, Adventure is PVP, Creative is PVE. So in PVP you walked into an enemy town and that is why the templars attacked.

Secondly, public servers have an admin who spent many many many hours setting up the server to be how they want before making it so people can join.

Unfortunately the game itself isn't set up for a single player in mind, the devs assumed people who wanted to play by themselves would also want to set up everything themselves.

You could start up a Creative server and not get attacked by templars, as for set up starter towns and so on, yeah you would need to do that yourself if you intend to go single player.

If you want to walk into a server that is set up and ready to play then you will probably need to log in to a public server.

Hope this helps in some way.

• Like 1