Sign in to follow this  
Wyndolm

Remove server full warning on Harmony

lvVBtQ.jpg

I created a new character today on Harmony. When trying to teleport to Harmony I got this message that Harmony is full which is basically not true at all. Meanwhile we have 1/2 of the players of Cadence and a hell of a lot first gen deeds disbanded too. So would you please remove this totally pointless message please because it is a pure lie. Actually I visited Cadence lately and it's a lot fuller than Harmony at this time.

Here are the player count stats of Harmony vs Cadence:

Harmony: https://harmony.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/wurm.html

Cadence: https://cadence.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/wurm.html

• Like 2

PLENTY of space on harmony.  This is a leftover from when they were trying to manage the lag during the steam launch.  Good Job Code Club.

I consider it a bug because it should have been removed at the moment where Harmony went below Cadence population-wise. Harmony is slowly dieing.

Though i can add a suggestion here: Why not show the current number of population (which logged in within last week or so) or the number of deeds for every server/map so that new players can make their own decision where to go?

Edited by Wyndolm

5 hours ago, Wyndolm said:

I consider it a bug because it should have been removed at the moment where Harmony went below Cadence population-wise. Harmony is slowly dieing.

Though i can add a suggestion here: Why not show the current number of population (which logged in within last week or so) or the number of deeds for every server/map so that new players can make their own decision where to go?

The popup isn't about population though, it's about unclaimed land. And really, complaining about Harmony slowly dieing? Ever heard of the South Freedom?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wyndolm said:

I don't think "bug" means what you think it means.   This is an intentional, programmed action, not a bug.  It doesn't matter what you consider it to be, it isn't a bug.  

It is NOT based on population but on the extent of "claimed" (i.e. deeded) area on the server.  This was instituted not only due to the huge lag and related problems but to make sure that new players could actually experience one the major elements of the game, settling a deed.

You CAN make your own decision where to go, the popup gives you something to consider and then you make your own decision.  

I notice you don't mention the second part of the message, "or picking one of the Southern Freedom Isles servers."  Harmony is a lot fuller than the SFI servers but you don't seem to have an issue with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I don't think "bug" means what you think it means.   This is an intentional, programmed action, not a bug.  It doesn't matter what you consider it to be, it isn't a bug.  

It is NOT based on population but on the extent of "claimed" (i.e. deeded) area on the server.  This was instituted not only due to the huge lag and related problems but to make sure that new players could actually experience one the major elements of the game, settling a deed.

You CAN make your own decision where to go, the popup gives you something to consider and then you make your own decision.  

I notice you don't mention the second part of the message, "or picking one of the Southern Freedom Isles servers."  Harmony is a lot fuller than the SFI servers but you don't seem to have an issue with that.

It made sense in the beginning when Harmony was overcrowded but today it's a bug because it's simply not true anymore so it needs to be removed.

Sure you can go where you want but a new player with not much info on the game would certainly always follow such a hint. I have been watching the peak player counts over quite a while now (due to the spawn bug on Harmony i started to watch certain graphs) and we went down from more than 400 to barely 200 these days.

Like I already wrote Cadence is a lot more crowded. I visited in the beginning of the Halloween event and went fully around and explored also some inland (also due to spawn bug on Harmony) and can tell that there are more deeds than on Harmony (no wonder with twice the pop) and a lot of the first generation deeds onb Harmony have already disbanded and or are currently disbanding.

Actually aside of player count also the age and deed count could be shown in the server select UI.

20 hours ago, Wyndolm said:

Actually aside of player count also the age and deed count could be shown in the server select UI.

Yes, that would be good, along with the server size.  A bit of a snapshot of each server, with maybe even a higher level snapshot per cluster, would be helpful.

It doesn't make sense to discourage new players from coming to Harmony when the population looks like this:

Cadence:

[15:43:03] 339 other players are online. You are on Cadence (1070 totally in Wurm).

Harmony:

[15:44:18] 213 other players are online. You are on Harmony (1068 totally in Wurm).

Meanwhile....  On the old cluster....

The population at that time was....  244

THE ENTIRE OLD CLUSTER

One feels that perhaps nudging people towards the old cluster would be somewhat more charitable in itself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Meanwhile....  On the old cluster.... The population at that time was....  244

THE ENTIRE OLD CLUSTER

One feels that perhaps nudging people towards the old cluster would be somewhat more charitable in itself.

While Harmony figures between 120 and 280 are far from unhealthy, the "old cluster" is not that bad off. SFI plus Epic were exceeding 400 several times this weekend. The SFI(+Epic) vs NFI balance is approaching 1:2 on average. NFI population (at least simultaneous logons) is still dropping a bit while that on SFI is somewhat rising, contrary to last year when November was arguably the worst month in Wurm history. 

Btw, all that has not much to do with the initial complaint. Fact is that settlements according to MRTG (https://harmony.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/villages.html )

only dropped from all time high of 1056 to 879 which means that the congestion is far from being gone. And when I am spying 😎 on Harmony my impression is that the good spots are held, and traded for silver.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

SFI plus Epic were exceeding 400 several times this weekend

Epic has a population of 50--100 on the weekend now?  TiL!

9 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Epic has a population of 50--100 on the weekend now?  TiL!

Nice troll. According to Niarja, SFI including Chaos exceeded 380 several times during the weekend, while Epic was between 15 and 18, even 20 at the same time. Obviously, your samples couldn't hide figures between 300 and 350 on SFI. And this weekend was without any events like public slayings where SFI alone exceeded 500 at times. It becomes ever harder to cling to the "dying cluster" doomsaying.

But back to the topic, one may argue that Cadence village count of 891 is even higher than that of Harmony, with a slight bonus due to the longer coastlines and flatter topography. And Melody with 428 settlements on a 8x8 is arguably even worse off than the two. One may question the justification of the warning with some reason therefore.

In comparison: Xanadu (16x16) has 996 settlements, Independence (8x8) 599, from the 4x4 Deliverance 265,  Exodus 163, Release 198 , Pristine 194, Celebration 184. 

If any warning, there should be one that it is possibly hard to find a spot to settle on all of NFI :) and better consider SFI, lol.

Edited by Ekcin
corrected server sizes
  • Like 1

Instead of a "warning" just provide some demographic background on ALL the servers with a perhaps a little bit of interpretation for new players.  For instance, not just absolute deed count but also deeds per square km would be helpful, land/water % could also be good.  

A rough count of guard towers (per sq.km ?),  merchants active in the last x-days, even mailboxes;  information of the sort that is meaningful and useful.  Maybe a count of buildings, a tile count highways, a count of heritage canals.

It would be nice if we could get some clarity on why people are still being directed away from Harmony and towards Cadence despite the fact that Cadence appears to be significantly more crowded at this point, at least based on the information available to players.  As long as that message is up, unless there is some explanation given for it, it will come across as a careless oversight.

This Message should be removed asap!!... on both Harmony and Melody select screen, Melody is now even more dead then Harmony....

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 2:24 AM, Minnie said:

It would be nice if we could get some clarity on why people are still being directed away from Harmony and towards Cadence despite the fact that Cadence appears to be significantly more crowded at this point, at least based on the information available to players.  As long as that message is up, unless there is some explanation given for it, it will come across as a careless oversight.

I don't understand this "Cadence is crowded" thing, any more than I understood the "Old servers are dead" thing.  Can we have perhaps a little moderation in assessments, instead of hype?  I was just on Cadence a couple of hours ago, and on Release a couple of hours before that. There were more people in local on Release than Cadence.  I travelled into Encore, and as I moved about I managed to find a maximum of 3 characters in local.  I headed up the road and went as far as Night Blood Forest, and in all that way came across one other character.  It might be quiet on Harmony and Melody, but it is on Cadence as well.

52 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

I don't understand this "Cadence is crowded" thing, any more than I understood the "Old servers are dead" thing.  Can we have perhaps a little moderation in assessments, instead of hype?  I was just on Cadence a couple of hours ago, and on Release a couple of hours before that. There were more people in local on Release than Cadence.  I travelled into Encore, and as I moved about I managed to find a maximum of 3 characters in local.  I headed up the road and went as far as Night Blood Forest, and in all that way came across one other character.  It might be quiet on Harmony and Melody, but it is on Cadence as well.

I agree so maybe no need for the message anymore?

• Like 1

good luck took em 2 months of people yelling at them to allow newbies to spawn in defiance before they did it

48 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

Indeed not. It should be removed immediately.

The problem remains that space for planting deeds on adequate locations is extremely short, worst on Melody, and Cadence at best slightly better off than Harmony. Population (in terms of simultaneously logged in players) Melody usually fares better than Release (as the most populous 8x8 on SFI) with figures of 30 to 80 during workdays but is a shadow of the beginnigs. Harmony fares between 150 and 250, and Cadence around 150 to 350 (similar to recent workdays' averages of all SFI). 

Given those figures, it still seems advisable to players looking for a village to join to go to any of the NFI servers (ofc for all wanting PvP Defiance even more than Chaos or Epic), as well for those wanting to stay in close contact with pals of their steam friend lists. For players interested in exploration, untouched nature, mob combat, and larger terraforming and building projects on their own are certainly better off on SFI. Also there are not few settlements recruiting on SFI, with growing success.

Any hint where to settle should reflect the situation as described. I doubt that another NFI server will be launched on the short range, and would consider it a bad idea anyway as it would most probably only dilute population there.On a longer range the situation will probably normalize, with an either stagnant or slowly declining/rising population on NFI, and deed count adapting to it. At the moment, there seems to be not few deed hoarding and real estate speculation on NFI to my impression.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badvoc said:

I think there is a need for a different message.  Well, not so much a message as advice.  Kind of like this,

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Given those figures, it still seems advisable to players looking for a village to join to go to any of the NFI servers (ofc for all wanting PvP Defiance even more than Chaos or Epic), as well for those wanting to stay in close contact with pals of their steam friend lists. For players interested in exploration, untouched nature, mob combat, and larger terraforming and building projects on their own are certainly better off on SFI. Also there are not few settlements recruiting on SFI, with growing success.

Agree that the message should be removed at this point. The population has spread out over the NFI servers, so new players coming in should be more equally dispersed. With the number of deeds that have fallen on Harmony, there are plenty of good spots available now. Also, removing the message may help more players go to the SFI cluster and help them out as well.

The message was removed from the client a couple updates ago.

• Like 2