Sign in to follow this  
Amata

Can this mountain / highland area get a name?

HI fellow people of Independence!

Quick Question: Does this mountainous area (circled in red highlighter  below) - NE of Dragon Fang - have a name of its own? If not, I have a couple possible suggestions below, and would be interested if one is liked enough to name the area on the community map? I dunno how mountains and steppes and geographical features go about getting named, and by whom. 

dWAHgJf.jpg

If there is no previously established name... I might suggest something like one of the following -

• Inner Colossal Belt
  • Valyrian Highlands
  • Grand Mountain Range / Grand Mountain Belt / Grand Mountains
  • Northeast Highlands / North Central Highlands / Grand Steppe Highlands / etc
  • [local deed name] Belt / [local deed name] Highlands / [local deed name] Range
    (local deed examples: Lorath, Heartsease, Green Shadow, Hermit's, Heaven, Golden Pearls, ...?)

What do y'all think?? 

(Personally, of the above, I kinda like Valyrian Highlands, or one of the "Grand Mountains" options maybe)

• Like 1

Grand Central [something] or Grand Mountains [with or without something else] sounds more appropriate. The NE names don't work since the area isn't in the NE (which is where I live). NC [something] also works.

IMO, map designations for large areas should not relate to any one person's deed name. 

• Like 2

I have best name, no discussion:

Central Fidget Spinner. 😉 

Edited by Platyna

9 hours ago, Draiodoir said:

IMO, map designations for large areas should not relate to any one person's deed name. 

Honestly, I kinda really agree. Especially since deeds can come and go. 

For me, the one exception might be with the "Valyrian Highlands" name - since that was less about the deed using the Valyrian name, but instead inspired by the Valyrian Steel Expressway, the tunnel road that goes through the center of that area; and, I believe, will likely last much longer than any one particular deed ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amata said:

Honestly, I kinda really agree. Especially since deeds can come and go. 

For me, the one exception might be with the "Valyrian Highlands" name - since that was less about the deed using the Valyrian name, but instead inspired by the Valyrian Steel Expressway, the tunnel road that goes through the center of that area; and, I believe, will likely last much longer than any one particular deed ;) 

I agree. Several spots, like the road and the tunnel system is named "Valyrian". I think its a great name that represents the hidden veins and treasures in that mountain area. :)

• Like 1

The Valyrian Steel Expressway is named after the Deed of Valyrian Steel, which has been there for age upon age and most likely will be until the server shuts down.

As you may be able to guess, they did the work in establishing that tunnel are not just some deed using the name.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nordlys said:

I agree. Several spots, like the road and the tunnel system is named "Valyrian". I think its a great name that represents the hidden veins and treasures in that mountain area. :)

I was just proud that "Gumboland Good Time Happy Place" was the runner up name.

:D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Beanbag said:

The Valyrian Steel Expressway is named after the Deed of Valyrian Steel, which has been there for age upon age and most likely will be until the server shuts down.

As you may be able to guess, they did the work in establishing that tunnel are not just some deed using the name.

Sorry, didn't mean offense -- 

meant what I said in the context of someone else saying. "let's not name it after any deed"  - and I wanted to point out that the Valyrian name was not just "some deed" but an obviously important one that has done much work for the development of the area. Deeds that don't really work with the land in a bigger, more public way, tend to be the transient ones... the deeds that organize (and name) community projects and public works are the ones that stick around & leave their mark - and should be honored for their contributions. Is all. 

• Like 1

Having spoken to those who live in the area I could reach and chatting with some of the staff who I was able to catch online...

Valyrian Highlands as been added to the Albia Maps of Indy, as an area name, effective this weekends Albia map updates.

This area is full of mobs, neubies beware, ole timers, happy hunting!

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

• Like 3