Sign in to follow this  
Oblivionnreaver

Perma-brand from loyalty store thing

Item from loyalty store that, when used on an animal, "brands" them on every single server to your name, instead of deeds, so that their permissions work like carts/boats do, much more convenient than having to brand to however many servers there are deeds just to have a horse you can take anywhere and not worry about losing it or whatever

• Like 15

Honestly, we need better support for server crossing.  So many things break when crossing.  Was just telling my alliance mates how desperately I'd live a shared database across servers.  No duplicate deed names.  New global alliances that exist on all servers.  Permissions for allies across servers, etc.

Is this possible with a bit of work, or is wurm too cluttered for any reasonable budgeted system to handle it all at once?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Wait, they do WHAT now?

Holy cow, I had no clue that this was so clunky.  

Basically, an animal is branded to a deed, and a deed sits on a server. So, an animal is  branded to a {cluster/}server/deed hierarchy. Inside a cluster, an animal can be transported since not too long, 2018 if I recall correctly. So the solution found had to fit into the existing data structures and logic of using branded/unbranded horses.

Now that you can transport animals, they may arrive at any other server inside a cluster as unbranded animals. Where you have a deed, you may decide to brand them, or let them brand by a friend, to a deed on that cluster. You may (and should) care for an animal on other servers of the same cluster as well (my rift team of 2 hitched horses and 1 mount are cared for on all SFI servers except Chaos, so are a few reserve horses).

Generally, I find OR's idea appealing, but see problems. Such an "universal brand" would break the cluster/server/deed hierarchy tree. How about wanting to brand an animal to a special deed on a special cluster? Must one have deeds on all clusters to take that universal brand effect? How to deal with possible collisions?

I could imagine that such a universal brand applies on a given server as long as there is no server/deed brand superseding it. The advantage would be that one could gear up a mount with such a brand without the taming-equipping-untaming tedium (and back: taming-unequipping-untaming-loading to cage), also could access saddle bags, even if the mount is not branded to a deed on that server.  In fact, I would love such a solution.

Something to consider there about said all-server-branded mount also being cared for on all servers without breaking the per-server care slot system. If not, I guess any mount you wanted to use this on you'd have to take to each server and care for before it hits venerable, but it'd be nice if something like that was built in from the get-go with an all-server brand or similar thing.

24 minutes ago, crimsonearth said:

Something to consider there about said all-server-branded mount also being cared for on all servers without breaking the per-server care slot system. If not, I guess any mount you wanted to use this on you'd have to take to each server and care for before it hits venerable, but it'd be nice if something like that was built in from the get-go with an all-server brand or similar thing.

Caring for would not be a problem deserving additional attention. Even a venerable animal may be cared for immediately after unloading on the new server, the window for a death tick is fairly small. I had only one case where an animal died because it was uncared unintentionally (nowadays you are asked before uncaring avoiding such accidents). From the logs I found that it had been uncared well an hour before death.

As to such "universal brand", it could be thought of like a symbolic link from one hierarchy structure into another which would be replaced/ignored once a branding to a deed exists or is created in addition or how ever that can be done in Wurm data structures.

Maybe a choice of brands could be given, e.g. brand to deed or brand to player - if to player then this should apply across all servers where you can take the animal.

If you want to give the animal to someone else, just unbrand it as is the current option.  The new owner could then brand to deed or to player (him/herself).

The hassle of caring for / taming to equip / untaming and remembering to change fight stance from defensive to aggressive or normal and the reverse puts many players off travelling to different servers for rifts etc.  So this really does need attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Caring for would not be a problem deserving additional attention. Even a venerable animal may be cared for immediately after unloading on the new server, the window for a death tick is fairly small. I had only one case where an animal died because it was uncared unintentionally (nowadays you are asked before uncaring avoiding such accidents). From the logs I found that it had been uncared well an hour before death.

If someone has paid an amount of marks for an all-server branded animals and they aren't as fortunate as you and lose an animal when crossing servers, it would be a problem. I don't see why this shouldn't be built in to this theoretical new feature if it's feasible to do so.

Your experience is not necessarily indicative of the wider population's experience - particularly given, right now, most people avoid taking venerable animals across server borders because they consider the risk a problem deserving their attention. Hell, there's a even a rune that people put money and resources into in order to specifically guard against this thing. Also, since most players who have a favoured mount have probably already had it cared for on their home server for some time, it's likely that, for many, that's the animal they'd want to take across servers with them and that animal could well be years older than it was at the point that it first became venerable.

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I would love this but I do agree on caring for having to be included in some way. I love collecting special named creatures from the holidays, and champions. My very first ever named holiday creature was a deer called "Great Horned Geese" from Christmas several years ago, and I loved that deer. When I moved to Inde last year, it immediately died the moment I opened the crate and I was heartbroken and literally cried a little bit lol. If it had been any other it wouldn't have hurt so badly. I know it seems silly, but I remember being so proud of taming that deer as a noob and caring for it and having it for so many years. I still have a few creatures on Release I'd love to move but I just don't want to lose them.

The sail once I got to Inde was a 5 min sail from the border, and the deer was cared for until crossing. It literally died the second I opened the crate.

Edited by DemonaNightshade
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

I would love this but I do agree on caring for having to be included in some way. I love collecting special named creatures from the holidays, and champions. My very first ever named holiday creature was a deer called "Great Horned Geese" from Christmas several years ago, and I loved that deer. When I moved to Inde last year, it immediately died the moment I opened the crate and I was heartbroken and literally cried a little bit lol. If it had been any other it wouldn't have hurt so badly. I know it seems silly, but I remember being so proud of taming that deer as a noob and caring for it and having it for so many years. I still have a few creatures on Release I'd love to move but I just don't want to lose them.

The sail once I got to Inde was a 5 min sail from the border, and the deer was cared for until crossing. It literally died the second I opened the crate.

15 hours ago, Baloo said:

The hassle of caring for / taming to equip / untaming and remembering to change fight stance from defensive to aggressive or normal and the reverse puts many players off travelling to different servers for rifts etc.  So this really does need attention.

This is why I stay on Xan.

• Like 1

I must admit I simply don't transport animals interserver.  I have my branded and cared for team for travelling around Release, but if I go elsewhere I either sail as close as possible then walk or lately what with all the swimmy horses I gather one on the way to shore.

I had never really considered issues with this.  I can understand why it is like it is, but I doubt DemonaNightshade who found out about it the hard way.

Caring at least should carry inter server.

Wow great idea, branded to my name... maybe 1 animal branding available per letter in ur name? or 2 per letter? … oh no better yet. One perm animal branding, plus one per full year since ur first day in Wurm. This way u can have a branded animal, even if u are deedless, I like this idea. So far.

Also support including a cross server care for option too.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
more words
  • Like 1