Sign in to follow this  
Llawnroc

can close

Since a lot of the titlesare a bit punny. I read highlander a lot in this thread and I like it but maybe we can go for somthing more jokingly. The highlander was a MacLeod  as name. Think we shuld keep the Mc and maybe add a swordname or the Hightland title to it. Somthing liek this:
McHighland

McZweihand

McFlamberge

Edited by Radircs

To honor Ned Stark from GoT my suggestion for the titles is Ice or Icehander

Grats.
Very impressive.

Arthur? Excalibur? 
Almighty two-handed panzerwagon ultra slice?

Once again, grats!

16 minutes ago, Sn00 said:

Almighty two-handed panzerwagon ultra slice?

+1

Just anything but a TV show reference. It's going to age like milk just like that crappy TV show did

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Crusader... we have Templar so this would be a nice fit for theme's sake... besides, I'm sure at least some of the Crusaders on chaos would appreciate it :P  (i'm not biased at all what with my Avatar being a Templar cross)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Radircs said:

Since a lot of the titlesare a bit punny. I read highlander a lot in this thread and I like it but maybe we can go for somthing more jokingly. The highlander was a MacLeod  as name. Think we shuld keep the Mc and maybe add a swordname or the Hightland title to it. Somthing liek this:
McHighland

McZweihand

McFlamberge

This is why I really don't want that as a title.  "The Highlander" was indeed the protagonist in a 1980's fantasy movie, played by an American-born French man, but highlanders are/were so much more than that, and it is a crying shame that THAT is now the primary association in people's minds.  The fact is that the only 2-handed sword "The Highlander" ever had in the story was a katana.  The European sword he had was a longsword.

"Braveheart" was also a heavily fictionalized Hollywood take on Wallace et al, and we dishonour the culture when we consider these movies to be the icons of the culture in question. (At least the sword in the movie was a two-hander, just not a highland claymore.)

A bit of a punny title would be good, though, if it is to invoke actual highlanders and not Hollywood highlanders.  

Something like "Two-hands Macgregor" if you want a quintessentially highland identity.  

The sword itself is much more along knightly sword lines, not the 2-handed variant of the claymore.  (Claymore is ambiguous because it can refer to two very different swords, the huge 2-hander with drooping quillons and quatrefoils and the a basket-hilted backsword).  

Crusader seems to fit the theme and the sword.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

The fact is that the only 2-handed sword "The Highlander" ever had in the story was a katana.

I like the reasoning in your post, except for this detail. Katana is more of a hand-and-half or bastard sword than 2-hander. Most of techniques are with using both hands on it. But I just point out Miyamoto Musashi and his two-sword technique. Real 2-hand swords are the ones that are practically (note that word and remember movies often forfeit it) unusable by anyone with one hand alone.

Edit: Japanese samurai also had a real long two-hand sword, that was shaped like katana, but not to be wielded one-handed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōdachi

2nd edit: Forgot to congratulate Llawnroc on achievement and of the suggestions so far, I'd personally prefer crusader for keeping the theme.

Edited by Nestangol
added info

3 hours ago, Nestangol said:

I like the reasoning in your post, except for this detail. Katana is more of a hand-and-half or bastard sword than 2-hander. Most of techniques are with using both hands on it. But I just point out Miyamoto Musashi and his two-sword technique. Real 2-hand swords are the ones that are practically (note that word and remember movies often forfeit it) unusable by anyone with one hand alone.

Edit: Japanese samurai also had a real long two-hand sword, that was shaped like katana, but not to be wielded one-handed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōdachi

2nd edit: Forgot to congratulate Llawnroc on achievement and of the suggestions so far, I'd personally prefer crusader for keeping the theme.

Yes, fair enough, they wouldn't have used the term but the katana would probably qualify as a bastard sword.  It was hilted for a full two-handed grip but was short/light enough to be used one-handed.  

1st, I feel like the current theme of the 2hs titles are more fitting for 1hs.

2nd, I dont like the connotation of a holy war with crusader.

To fit the theme.. Im favoring pendragon or admiral

Tbh Im leaning towards savage pagan.

Edited by Llawnroc
  • Like 1

@TheTricksterA pretty neat film dishonours the culture? Wut? European culture was ALWAYS based on exaggerated stories about amazing heroes. People did not meet in bars, family meetings and were not eating suppers analysing archaeological data to provide most accurate depiction of past events, Scots and Irishmen were world-famous story tellers and poets since the history remembers, and they were famous of using two handed swords. I also fail to see why it is important what is ethnicity/nationality of an actor who played this role...

Edited by Platyna

11 hours ago, Platyna said:

@TheTricksterA pretty neat film dishonours the culture? Wut? European culture was ALWAYS based on exaggerated stories about amazing heroes. People did not meet in bars, family meetings and were not eating suppers analysing archaeological data to provide most accurate depiction of past events, Scots and Irishmen were world-famous story tellers and poets since the history remembers, and they were famous of using two handed swords. I also fail to see why it is important what is ethnicity/nationality of an actor who played this role...

I actually said we dishonour the culture when consider these films to be the icons of it.  The fame for using two-handers is actually more recent; only high status and rich people could even afford those weapons.  These things shift.  The Highland charge terrifying for a long time until it wasn't.   I am not sure which of the two movies you consider "pretty neat".  One was pure fantasy and the other a fictionalized story referencing historical events and people.

As to the ethinicity/nationality, I was pointing out that the movie was called "The Highlander" but really had little to do with the highlands; all of it was pretty much a mishmash of whatever the writers/directors/producers felt like.  The eponymous "highlander" spoke English with a clear French accent, while the Spaniard... well it was the Spaniard (or Egyptian, I guess) who spoke with a Scottish accent.  The story was fantasy, straight up, and should not be used as any kind of guide to any actual culture except maybe for the culture of those that made it.

Edited by TheTrickster

Thoughts on ,"savage(ly) huge blade swinging" and ideas for similar style like,

Unending(,) huge blade swinging" or neverending(,) huge blade swinging"

Edited by Llawnroc

hugely huge blade swinging

tireless huge blade swinging

indefatigable huge blade swingnig

dogged deadly pendulum swinging

"Choppity Chop" -- can be used for all weapons that doesn't go "Stabbity Stab"

"Cute Cuttlery" -- can be used for all knife base weapons going from the carving knife to the two handed sword

"Congrats on to the next one" -- because congrats and a true wurmian never stops!

Sorry but the film was pretty good and I see no dishonouring here. 

On 12/3/2020 at 12:06 AM, TheTrickster said:

only high status and rich people could even afford those weapons

That is not true, it was the opposite. 2 handed weapons were actually the economy options, because it was a lot cheaper to get this weapon than to get a sword AND a shield. Now it sounds funny but any weaponry was extremely expensive  and armour, including shields, was absurdly expensive these times, so by using a 2h weapon you could save even two to four times of money, not to mention that a good sword was a lot easier to make than a good shield that will not crash under first hit - there is a pretty advanced science behind shield smithing - people in medieval time knew that if you cut corners on this and try to save a penny you can lose or hand or your life. This is why two handed swords were used by people such as mercenaries or other kind of hired help, also highlanders etc. knight and nobility if used them it was a rare occurrence. 

Edited by Platyna

5 hours ago, Platyna said:

Sorry but the film was pretty good and I see no dishonouring here. 

That is not true, it was the opposite. 2 handed weapons were actually the economy options, because it was a lot cheaper to get this weapon than to get a sword AND a shield. Now it sounds funny but any weaponry was extremely expensive  and armour, including shields, was absurdly expensive these times, so by using a 2h weapon you could save even two to four times of money, not to mention that a good sword was a lot easier to make than a good shield that will not crash under first hit - there is a pretty advanced science behind shield smithing - people in medieval time knew that if you cut corners on this and try to save a penny you can lose or hand or your life. This is why two handed swords were used by people such as mercenaries or other kind of hired help, also highlanders etc. knight and nobility if used them it was a rare occurrence. 

2 handed weaponsnot necessarily swords.  Polearms were big (🙂).  Shields were often timber and home-made and not a specialty item.  Most were not smithed at alll.  Swords on the other hand, if not made skilfully would be quite useless.  Swords in general were not a cheap option.

Mercenaries with the skill to use 2-handers were entitled to double pay, while the rest made do with pikes etc.

I still don't know which film you are referencing, but you are still mistaking what I am saying.  I didn't say either film wasn't good and I didn't say either film dishonours anything.  I am talking about when the people who watch them then treat them as representative or authoritative regarding the cutlture.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, Llawnroc said:

Who do I need to talk to to get this ratified?

@Llawnroc What prestigious title have you selected for your achievement?

On 12/29/2020 at 3:06 AM, TheTrickster said:

@Llawnroc What prestigious title have you selected for your achievement?

Hahaha..