Sign in to follow this  
righout

PMs. the possibility to send message to ppl who are offline

as the title says I suggest to be able to leave a message in game as it will ease the communication between people, and it give  the ability to leave messages to someone's who is offline.

even though some will say you can use the forum to leave a message there, I still find it tricky as it is not always someone is on the forums and if they are, not all have same names there and in game.

that come from my experience; I have taken a commission in game, when I have finished it I tried to contact the client to no avail and he was not in forums with name. so it stayed like that till he got online.

I hope it is feasible to do so, as it will definitively be helpful.

• Like 2

I am not generally against the proposal, but there may be technical obstacles for the implementation such as messages stacking up without the system providing that possibility. It would need expiration like with mails.

One could argue that the medieval/fantasy immersion is further be undermined by such a hightech tool. Recently, you may send a letter, inscribed on paper or papyrus. Number of characters written is limited by sheet, pen, and dye/ink ql, so deeper embedded into the craft and skill system.

• Like 1

it is indeed not suitable for the medieval immersion, but I will argue back if we want to immerse in that all kind of era. chat should be prohibited and only use letters. no offence.

Edited by righout

The COD cost on a piece of papyrus/paper is 1 iron, Just send them a letter

• Like 2

Make press, make paper, make pen, make ink, make mailbox, enchant mailbox, hope the other person has an enchanted mailbox, write letter, sell junk for 1 iron, send letter using clunky UI.

OR

Send them a message on discord.

When a mechanic is vastly less convenient than metagaming that mechanic is going to be utterly ignored by your players save for novelty value.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I am not generally against the proposal, but there may be technical obstacles for the implementation such as messages stacking up without the system providing that possibility. It would need expiration like with mails.

One could argue that the medieval/fantasy immersion is further be undermined by such a hightech tool. Recently, you may send a letter, inscribed on paper or papyrus. Number of characters written is limited by sheet, pen, and dye/ink ql, so deeper embedded into the craft and skill system.

Have you heard of the sims medieval?  In that game you could send messages to other npcs with a pigeon.  It had its own little pigeon box for sending messages.

Also another game that I used to play that had a mail function in game was called Perfect world.  In that game you could send messages to people through the mail box and it would show up as a new message when you went to check your mail at this certain location in the game  (I think - I can;t remember fully)   The messages in the mail box, I think they only lasted for a few weeks.

Was a great feature for if you wanted to send a message to someone who was offline and you could even send them items through the mail along with your message.

Also the suggestions from others, not just you, to use the ink and paper...ect to send a message to someone offline, I have this to say:

I am lazy and if I want to send a message to someone offline, I would not be bothered with skilling up and learning new skills just to send a letter through the mail box. That and also having the mats around to do it. I did not even actually know that such a feature was even around either.  Oh and I have only wanted to send a message to someone who is offline on very rare occasions.  going along with my lazy attiude, I would prefer some cute little pigeons or something like it, to fly off with my mail to the other person.  maybe a small fee to pay as well for the service.  like it currently is to send mail.

• Like 1

The current magical mail system fits the fantasy aspects of the game, but not the sail-age aspect.  There was mail back then, but it was a case of giving a traveller of some sort a few coins to carry a letter and see it into the hands of the addressee.  Some were delivered within days or weeks, some took years, some never got delivered.  

I have often thought that our mail system, basically functioning as air-freight, is a bit out of place and the wagoners are a better fit for deliveries.  Issues are the cost and the fact that you cannot ship inter-server via wagoner (could be fixed with a NPC merchant sailor at a start town with a dock on each server - "no big deal" to set up  🤪).

I like the immersion of letters, but having to have paper, ink and pen handy is a bit of a pain (I do carry a pen always, but it is full of coins 😄).   Maybe a trader could be a good origin point for letters.  Notionally, they would have some kind of access to transportation (where do they get their supply of bits and bobs?).  You set up the letter, get a box in which to address and type it (i.e. the equivalent of dictating this to the trader) and pay your fee when you commit it.  Do the same at a wagoner.  (Actually, I think it would be great if traders could function as agents for wagoners, as long as they are on tile adjacent to a waystone;  no wagoner container needed but it costs you more).

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Make press, make paper, make pen, make ink, make mailbox, enchant mailbox, hope the other person has an enchanted mailbox, write letter, sell junk for 1 iron, send letter using clunky UI.

Pretty much this. I don't know if there's a unique interface when writing a letter. But having a visual parchment might hit the nail on the head.

8 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

use pen, ink and paper, and send him a letter.

I do this all the time It's a lot more fun lol.

• Like 2

As said, I am not against the proposal, in case asynchronism is sufficiently easy to implement in the chat system, nothing necessary but not breaking anything to have it. Yet I find it ludicrous how the "difficulty" of sending paper mails is exaggerated. There are (runed) mailboxes in every starter town, and further ones accessible on lots of deeds and public places all over wurm. Even with low ql paper/papyrus sheet, pen and dye/ink one can send a short message asking for contact some time of the day. Even the sheet proper may be renamed to contain bit additional information iirc. But I fully agree to those saying that sending pen and paper messages is fun, and often (e.g. sending COD "invoices" for goods or services delivered or transferring money in general) very useful.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

17 hours ago, Yesirn said:

The COD cost on a piece of papyrus/paper is 1 iron, Just send them a letter

16 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

12 hours ago, christopher said:

i do like the pigeon idea lol