Sign in to follow this  
Antony

Creature Affixes

I trust we're all familiar with prefixes and suffixes. Mob conditions (prefixes) being Alert, Angry, Champion, Fierce, etc...

Okay, big whoop, we've seen and killed a million of `em, but have you seen the Venerable Alert Lava Fiend of Infection? How about the Adolescent Greenish Rat of Thorns? Surely not the Mature Raging Blue Whale of Bounty. If that's not your kind of thing try the Aged Champion Hell Hound of Webs on for size.

There are lots of ways we can expand on aggressive creatures and their behaviours. Currently mob difficulty is determined by conditions and age which is basically a list of decimals to multiply mob properties by, like... "rawr, I'm a champion, my ... base damage is 31, b-but I'm a champion so it's multiplied by 1.3 so it's more like...  40.3". And it's like that for all its properties, even size.

I think it's time we added a new dimension to creatures.

So now I'll throw down some examples of what suffixes could do below

Venerable Champion Troll of Thorns - Return some damage back

Venerable Champion Troll of Bounty - Double butcher yield

Venerable Champion Troll of Infection - Chance of inflicting venom wounds

Venerable Champion Troll of Webs - Attacks slow target swing and movement speed

Venerable Champion Troll of Wurms - Attacks slowly sap life

Venerable Champion Troll of Bones - Can raise skeletons in prolonged combat

Venerable Champion Troll of Ash - Drops ash on grazing / eating, causes burn damage

Venerable Champion Troll of Focus - Focuses twice as often

Venerable Champion Troll of Annihilation - Drains the favour of those around it

Venerable Champion Troll of Confusion - Attacks slightly cause the target to become drunk

Venerable Champion Troll of Darkness - Light sources extinguish in its presence

Please excuse any and all typos, and actually just excuse all of the above. I know I will.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the above traits be added, those are just examples that build off of the core concept that I am suggesting, and that suggestion is that some mobs have a second keyword in their names and exhibit special behaviours. Mobs possessing these special behaviours would be rare and require the creature to have a prefix (condition) such as Fierce, Angry, Slow, Champion, etc...

Edited by Antony
Hey Alexa, how do you spell presence?
  • Like 6

Could be interesting, especially if not too common.

Might make life a bit harsh for free players though!

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 1

This post has made me giddy like a schoolgirl. I adore the concept examples you have brainstormed - I think that's some solid proof-of-concept, tbh. I very much also like that while some of the affixes are combat-related, some of them are environmental. That is  B R I L L I A N T. 

Because I am a hippy-dippy moon child, I wonder if there might be some beneficial affixes too?

Young Champion Deer of Viridity - causes Wild Growth effect on tiles it crosses
Old Champ Wild Cat of Cleansing - removes infected / poison status from wounds of those on same tile
Venerable Champ Unicorn of Healing - acts as a potency (6) healing cover for those on same tile
Adolescent Champ Gorilla of the Mist - improves protection from thorns and lava for same and adjacent tiles
Venerable Champ Tortoise of the Rain - causes Humid Drizzle effect on same and adjacent tiles
Venerable Champ Mountain Lion of Enlightenment - provides X% skillgain boost on same tile
Adolescent Champ Sheep of Love - causes Refreshment effect on same tile
Aged Champ Dog of Protection - improves protection from [random] damage for same & adjacent tiles (Acid, fire, frost)

Old Champ Rooster of Insanity - this animal is under the effect of the "roleplaying quirks" from meditation's Path of Insanity; will generate random emotes

Eatherdrifter has a good point, though.... it is not unheard of that a random angry, fierce, greenish, or champ mob travels through the neighborhood of newbie towns & spawn points. An old hardened lava fiend of focus walkin' through Local in an area mostly populated by new or low-level players would be a very harsh time, indeed. Would it be possible to have these rare spawns tethered to a "lair" style spawn location? Something in the environment (other than the nasty itself) that might give a player the heads up that there is a special nasty in the area, and they need to scram if they aren't up for the challenge. Like an enemy boss who likes to lurk in the great hall / throne room / dark cave / creepy ruin / frozen crypt... etc. 

• Like 2