Sign in to follow this  
Ajala

Is it time to start naming Xanadu landmarks?

I went to Independence today. 

While the Xan community map is arguably superior in many ways to the Indy one, the Indy one has some great features that ours does not.

I'm speaking specifically of named landmarks... mountains, lakes, bays, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EbliOmfbWcK1zhD4t4iYU-Dc18eEr7ZB/edit

Isn't it about time that we start naming more features on the Xan map?

It's already generally acknowledged that we have features like Hammer Lake, Ageless Lake, etc...

What about the rest of the map?

Ajala

• Like 3

Why not start one for Xanadu yourself?

Sounds like a fun project 😁

• Like 1

Big +1 from me. I'd love to join the community in naming the landmarks on Xan. Would be nice to have a poll for every landmark for different names and the one with the most votes will win? I'd say you should contact whoever is editing the Xan map. Best of luck!

Edited by Xheth
  • Like 1

I am the one who is currently editing the Xanadu map, however I am not the creator, nor can I make a new layer of data show up on the map. I edit the spreadsheet that contains deed names and coordinates as well as separate sheets for bridges and tunnels. Those are then laid over the map dumps provided by the devs on a yearly basis. The creator of the map, and the one who would be able to add in a landmark layer is @jackjoneswho is not currently playing regularly on Xanadu. If he wants to take the time and effort to add this feature in, I'd be able to add landmarks via the existing Xanadu Map thread.

One of the potential issues I see with this is that people would have different names for landmarks and the like. Getting a consensus on naming features would need to be done outside of the aforementioned map thread, as I don't want that discussion cluttering up that thread.

Another issue is just the overall cluttering up of the map. If people start naming every lake and mountain or hill on Xanadu, it'll be hard to find deed names amongst all the clutter. But, if you can get Jack on board to add that feature, and work out a system for consensus in naming features, I'll be glad to add them.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, DaletheGood said:

I am the one who is currently editing the Xanadu map, however I am not the creator, nor can I make a new layer of data show up on the map. I edit the spreadsheet that contains deed names and coordinates as well as separate sheets for bridges and tunnels. Those are then laid over the map dumps provided by the devs on a yearly basis. The creator of the map, and the one who would be able to add in a landmark layer is @jackjoneswho is not currently playing regularly on Xanadu. If he wants to take the time and effort to add this feature in, I'd be able to add landmarks via the existing Xanadu Map thread.

Cool. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thanks for the info on how the map is currently being administered.

One of the potential issues I see with this is that people would have different names for landmarks and the like. Getting a consensus on naming features would need to be done outside of the aforementioned map thread, as I don't want that discussion cluttering up that thread.

Totally agreed. That's why I started this thread rather than hijacking the existing maps thread.

I don't think it would be a huge problem getting consensus on names. The discussion might even be fun!

Another issue is just the overall cluttering up of the map. If people start naming every lake and mountain or hill on Xanadu, it'll be hard to find deed names amongst all the clutter. But, if you can get Jack on board to add that feature, and work out a system for consensus in naming features, I'll be glad to add them.

The Indy map doesn't seem particularly cluttered to me. 

We're mostly only talking about putting names on lakes and mountains, which don't typically have text over them already.

And it's already hard to find deed names on the Xan map, because the font color is almost identical to the color of the rectangle that marks their position. I haven't been able to read the deed names in months.

• Like 1

I was taking a closer look at the map and saw that there is a landmark layer. There's only a few entries, but if you zoom in at 6560, 1915 you'll see Shimmer Lake. At 6640, 2428 you'll see Summerholt Lake. And 730, 2060 is Jellyfish Bay.

So I guess if you want something named, reach a consensus and post it in the regular map thread. There are a couple mountains on the data sheet, but they don't seem to show up. I'll get with Jack and see if he can make mountains visible, and work on the font color. Wouldn't look for that though until the new maps come out after the first of the year.

• Like 2

Dale - do you have a link to the source code? IIRC this is an Angular project I could take a look at adding the feature.

No I don't Raheed. This was put together by Jackjones. And the feature is there, see my post above.

Road names?  The road from summerholt to the east to the large (unknown named) mountain in G25, then north where it no longer is a highway to the little lake by Svartskard, then east to the ocean has been called the Diamond Way since it was made (lots of signs on it, and it has diamonds in the pavement).  

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm not doing roads. Mountains, Lakes, Bays, etc. yeah. but roads? seriously? no

Ya, I get it.  Everybody would want their own little road named.  I offered it up as it is the main highway for this corner, but ya.