Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Another list of suggestions

Telescope

At night, we should be able to observe the stars, meteors and comets.

Stars can be created randomly for each map and visible depending on the quality of the telescope.

Each star should be part of a constellation and if the player discovers entire constellation completely as first, it is called by his name. Different constellations should be visible at different times of the year.

If the player observing a given constellation was "born" (the character was created on the day when the constellation is visible in the sky), he gets a bonus, e.g. 5h SB or random affinity for the whole day.

Sometimes during observation the player should be able to observe a meteor falling to the ground. If the observation is an action with inspiration, it will be a meteor with lunar metal.

On the night before a unique monster spawns, players should be able to spot a comet that signals this.

Visible constellations can also have an impact on nature and animals, e.g. on one night of the year with the appropriate constellation setting all animals can become aggressive or non-aggressive. One night of the year a unique plant can bloom, the fruit of which possesses a special property.

Fireworks

As a product of alchemy. They would only serve as decoration, because why not illuminate the night sky with some explosions? When creating, the player decides what pattern will be created after the explosion.

Different religions different armors look
Crafter should create armor that looks a bit different depending on religion he professes (as if the armor had multiple themes).

For example, a plate helmet created by a Libila follower could look something like this

1373b2934ec8f0d4f23e8394e12f5fa6.jpg

• Like 1

Telescope

There is a spyglass in-game, no craftable, available to those who have paid for a year of premium and played for a year.  That covers the actual normal functions of a telescope, and I wouldn't want all of those additional elements such as astrological determinism in game.

Fireworks

I think this would look good, but conceptually the fundamental technology behind fireworks is the same as behind explosives, incendiaries and firearms.  

Different religions different armour look

Whether it is by religion or whatever, I think more options for armour etc would be good, but it means mutliple models for for everything.  This would need to be crafted as "xyz full helm", "abc gauntlets".  

28 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Telescope

There is a spyglass in-game, no craftable, available to those who have paid for a year of premium and played for a year.  That covers the actual normal functions of a telescope, and I wouldn't want all of those additional elements such as astrological determinism in game.

Fireworks

I think this would look good, but conceptually the fundamental technology behind fireworks is the same as behind explosives, incendiaries and firearms.  

Whether it is by religion or whatever, I think more options for armour etc would be good, but it means mutliple models for for everything.  This would need to be crafted as "xyz full helm", "abc gauntlets".  

fireworks already exist, just aren't craft-able

I like the idea of craftable fireworks, I think it'd be nice if players could dye them to change the colour of the lights.

Can't see myself ever making them though, and the thought of gunpowder in wurm doesn't quite seem right.

Don't @ me, but I reckon we'll see some visual armour / model changes with the arrival of the combat rework.

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Telescope

A telescope and a spyglass are two different things.

Fireworks

Apparently so, but it's even a good idea to add primitive cannons, the barrel of which breaks after 2-3 shots, and reloading takes a few minutes.

Open helm of Magranon... doesn't look terrible. But if the name is too long, the theme name can be added in the item description just as the color is added.

And the very fact that religion is the determinant allows the cafter to change the produced armor themes from time to time.

Definitely pro craftable brass instruments, across the board. I'd collect the whole set, just to display them in my personal space. Being able to use them as functional instruments, would be a bonus.

A decent batch of suggestions this time.

Telescope

You should refine this one better. What you are really asking for is a new skills with all the assorted bells and whistles:

Astronomy

Which absolutely would fit in Wurm. The skill could consist of making new types of telescopes, discovering new constellations, exploring the surface of valrei/jackall from a distant and perhaps even discovering things you as a mortal are not supposed to see.

Fireworks

This already exists in the form of a gift. I don't think there's any need to make this craftable.

You are simply asking for more cosmetics/visual differences between kingdoms/religions.

I agree that we can use some spicing up here, mostly in the armor departement.

26 minutes ago, GroeneAppel said:

A decent batch of suggestions this time.

Telescope

You should refine this one better. What you are really asking for is a new skills with all the assorted bells and whistles:

Astronomy

Which absolutely would fit in Wurm. The skill could consist of making new types of telescopes, discovering new constellations, exploring the surface of valrei/jackall from a distant and perhaps even discovering things you as a mortal are not supposed to see.

Actually, I didn't think about adding a new skill, but it would be interesting and give new possibilities. Of course, for observations there should be a bonus for the height from which we observe stars, i.e. the higher the telescope above sea level, the easier it is to spot smaller stars.

Fireworks

This already exists in the form of a gift. I don't think there's any need to make this craftable.

But in my opinion, every item should be craftable ... even masks, capes, and shoulder pads only these craftable versions should be poorer.

You are simply asking for more cosmetics/visual differences between kingdoms/religions.

I agree that we can use some spicing up here, mostly in the armor departement.

Weapons and shields may also differ visually. This would provide a bit of variety and appeal to the game as a whole.

+1 to everything but fireworks. It should remain limited and not craftable. Thanks. Besides, if I recall they are rather easy to get still.

I say yes to all of your suggestions, just because I want to make some fireworks and differnet looking armour would be cool to see.  That and the telescope features with the stars sounds interesting.

I already have a spyglass but I never use it.  I actually normally forget I even have it. It is hidden away in my backpack.  A use as in a new skill would be great.

Edited by Zexos

15 hours ago, Darnok said:

A telescope and a spyglass are two different things.

No, they are not.  A spyglass is a telescope.  One word is vernacular and the other is technical, but they both reference the same object.

From the Oxford: 

A telescope is an optical instrument designed to make distant objects appear nearer, containing an arrangement of lenses, or of curved mirrors and lenses, by which rays of light are collected and focused and the resulting image magnified.

A spyglass is a small telescope.

So, I will repeat, the in-game spyglass can cover the normal functions of a telescope.  A tripod mount so it can be used for stargazing... why not.  Or a different, craftable, version.  But, for other items that started as gift-only and then had a craftable version introduced, the craftable version has not been terrifically impressive (e.g. bedrolls).

Much of the rest of your suggestion around this is for Wurm astrology, so from me is a hard no.

15 hours ago, Darnok said:

Apparently so, but it's even a good idea to add primitive cannons, the barrel of which breaks after 2-3 shots, and reloading takes a few minutes.

...and this is precisely why I think introducing the crafting of fireworks would lead to wanting the crafting of firearms and explosives, so again from me a hard no.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:57 PM, TheTrickster said:

No, they are not.  A spyglass is a telescope.  One word is vernacular and the other is technical, but they both reference the same object.

From the Oxford: 

A telescope is an optical instrument designed to make distant objects appear nearer, containing an arrangement of lenses, or of curved mirrors and lenses, by which rays of light are collected and focused and the resulting image magnified.

A spyglass is a small telescope.

So, I will repeat, the in-game spyglass can cover the normal functions of a telescope.  A tripod mount so it can be used for stargazing... why not.  Or a different, craftable, version.  But, for other items that started as gift-only and then had a craftable version introduced, the craftable version has not been terrifically impressive (e.g. bedrolls).

Much of the rest of your suggestion around this is for Wurm astrology, so from me is a hard no.

...and this is precisely why I think introducing the crafting of fireworks would lead to wanting the crafting of firearms and explosives, so again from me a hard no.

The spyglass is a small telescope, designed for observing ships at sea.
I propose a large telescope that will weigh a lot and can only be placed on a suitable tripod. Observation of a desired location/object in the sky will depend on the appropriate angles configured on the tripod.

dxt8U6emHWPFPudlG-FnvpYFAaG757WqMKeYf3zi