Sign in to follow this  
Josso

Archeology stealth nerf?

Hello fellow archeologists. I have noticed a steep decline in my ability to finish reports of abandoned deeds. Where I would finish four reports earlier I now finish one. I wonder how that compares to your experiences after the patch.

• Like 2

I've been noticing it as well. I only have a very small sample size though so it could just be confirmation bias. I am also unaware of how often you should be investigating tiles (I investigate old deed entirely once every 24 hours). don't know if that is contributing to it. I also don't know if other players investigating the same spot decrease what you get as well.

Are you making higher ql reports now? I have noticed anecdotally that higher ql reports take longer to complete

That's not it, at least for me. The report Ql is unchanged.

Is there a chance a dev could elucidate this situation? Or is this one of the things they like to be secretive about?

6 hours ago, Josso said:

Is there a chance a dev could elucidate this situation? Or is this one of the things they like to be secretive about?

Hahahahaha... ha... haha...

• Like 2

Well, I have literally stopped playing since this. I can't play a game where the devs invalidate my efforts on a willy-nilly basis.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems easy to me for a dev to come in and say "Archeology was not changed." if that is the case. Silence just makes me think they don't want to admit it, especially when the feedback from other players seems to suggest a nerf.

1 hour ago, Josso said:

Well, I have literally stopped playing since this. I can't play a game where the devs invalidate my efforts on a willy-nilly basis.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems easy to me for a dev to come in and say "Archeology was not changed." if that is the case. Silence just makes me think they don't want to admit it, especially when the feedback from other players seems to suggest a nerf.

Have you tried opening a ticket? Not to defend the devs, but it is possible they do not read every post in Town Square.

I am very new to Archeology, and pretty new to the game in general.   I spent a good chunk of time on 2 separate deeds investigating.  I never seem to get the "Get direction" on my journal.  I get an event log notice of "you know the name of this deed was XXXXXX"  but nothing more than that. I try reading the report and nothing is really filled out.

Is there a minimum archeology skill I should be at before attempting to find deed tokens?  I have gotten hundreds of fragments from those 2 deeds each.  I just can't seem to make any additional progress in the journal.

@ SirMutley Aye, I made one. Figured it would more likely lead to a definitve answer.

@Gremzir The smallest deed in my rotation took about 7-10 days before the patch. So now a small deed like that would take 21-35 days.

@josso So you just come back every day for 7-10 days and investigate a bunch?  (before the patch... of course)

It could be pure randomness; ifIfhe probability of a discovery tick is low, volatility is to be expected.

Or, archaeology rolls might work similar to botanise ones (the more often you visit a spot the worse your odds).

• Like 1

@gremzir Yes, I meant it like that. Since it was a small deed with easily distinguishable borders, I usually did all the tiles.

@etherdrifter Pure randomness becomes less likely if this happens to multiple archeologists after a patch. But sure, hope dies last.

I can rule out diminishing returns, like you describe with botanizing, that was never a factor since I started doing reports.

Botanizing does not have diminishing returns. I suspect Ether meant that since refresh is somewhat random, it can take a long time for heavily botanized areas to become fully replenished. 

There has been absolutely zero changes to archaeology or reports, it's been the same for a long long time. 

I still do a lot of archaeology personally too, and can say from persona experience I've noticed no change 

I'm thinking its just random. I've started getting a lot more stuff. Who knows lol.

Eh, Im on Cadence, got Archaeo to level 54 and still dont have even one entry in the journal .. abandoned deeds have eluded me  thus far, despite occasionally stopping to investigate a few random tiles here n there while on hunting trips.

c'est la vie

On 11/16/2020 at 4:45 AM, icfred said:

I've been stuck on the same "clue" in 2 reports for the longest time. I just keep finding out the mayor and re-writing it - I feel like that shouldn't be possible. 

That's totally normal.

I returned to archeology after about a week and Im reasonably sure that no one else went to that area in the meantime. It was extremely fruitful. My best guess is that me "overfarming" the neighbour deed just coincided with the patch. A huge neighbour deed disbanded and I guess I overfarmed it due to the proximity to our settlement.

So with the new information, I would say there was no nerf at all, just a curious coincidence of factors that made it look like a nerf.

• Like 1