Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Event of killing unique monsters

Standard part where I complain...

At the moment, such events are tailored to American players, for Europeans 00:00-04:00 AM even on the weekend it is a bit too late and even if you can participate in them, the fact that you are tired takes a lot from the experience.

Solutions...

1. Divide the events into two, those that will be at the best times for American players and those that will be at the right time for Europeans.

2. Change the approach to events so that they are managed by the game, not by the players.

A unique monster can appear in some area of the map, and then a kind of sanctuary is created in which unique can move. No player can lure him out of this area. Normal mobs spawn rate is increased in the sanctuary area. If there is a group of players who want to hunt it, they can try, but the unique monster when defeated will hibernate for several hours and it is impossible to kill it.

After the first hibernation, the monster recovers 100% health and any player who enters the sanctuary will see a timer counting down the time until the sanctuary expires, after which the monster can be killed.

If the monster is not hunted after the sanctuary disappears, it can roam the map and wreak havoc.

The player who organizes determines time. There are plenty that I have missed out on being EST. 

No. you are confusing Wurm, a sandbox game, for a battle arena game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Darnok said:

1. Divide the events into two, those that will be at the best times for American players and those that will be at the right time for Europeans

ah yes the two genders, american and european

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

ah yes the two genders, american and european

you forgot "prefer not to say" 

smh

• Like 2

The Wurm team has no say in the public slayings. They are player hosted. So it is up to the player or players that find and pen the unique to decide on the time to kill it. 

1 hour ago, Jore said:

smh

I think that's usually abbreviated "Australian"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jore said:

smh

we try not to speak of the asians...

or extreme south east asians

Edited by armyskin
australia
  • Like 1

Solution 1. - fails because 

1. USA spans about 6 hours of difference
  2. Europe/Greenland spans roughly the next 6 hours of difference
  3. Asia/Russia spans 10 hours completely outside 1. and 2.
  4. Australia and New Zealand span the earliest 5 hours of 3. (i.e. completely outside of 1 and 2).
  5. People work when they work and are available when they are available

Essentially, no one or two small slices of that are going to suit a collective majority of players.  In that regard, the best hope would be to have people grouping on server according to their RL region.  Good luck herding that particular mob of cats.

Regarding solution 2, these events are currently player driven not by default but because that is how both the developers and the players currently prefer it.  Taking that away is not a solution.

I would love to participate in these events, but being realistic I know I am unlikely to manage it unless I somehow organize a hosting to suit my personal time commitments.  I am Australian, though, and somewhat used to such game content being inconveniently timed for me.  It is what it is.

• Like 1

The idea here then is to collect the uniques and set them up to a timezone that you prefer... As they are player run events, with times entirely decided by those captors, because they put in the work to catch it, and were generous enough to allow others to participate after those others put no effort into the cause...

Also, how are Americans and Europeans the only ones in the world here when it comes to time zones?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Solution 1. - fails because 

1. USA spans about 6 hours of difference
  2. Europe/Greenland spans roughly the next 6 hours of difference
  3. Asia/Russia spans 10 hours completely outside 1. and 2.
  4. Australia and New Zealand span the earliest 5 hours of 3. (i.e. completely outside of 1 and 2).
  5. People work when they work and are available when they are available

Essentially, no one or two small slices of that are going to suit a collective majority of players.  In that regard, the best hope would be to have people grouping on server according to their RL region.  Good luck herding that particular mob of cats.

Regarding solution 2, these events are currently player driven not by default but because that is how both the developers and the players currently prefer it.  Taking that away is not a solution.

I would love to participate in these events, but being realistic I know I am unlikely to manage it unless I somehow organize a hosting to suit my personal time commitments.  I am Australian, though, and somewhat used to such game content being inconveniently timed for me.  It is what it is.

1. This example can be broken down into more than 2 parts. But the problem I described is quite important, because with an organization like the one at the moment, part of the game is unavailable to players just because they live in a different (less popular) time zone.

1 hour ago, Shrimpiie said:

The idea here then is to collect the uniques and set them up to a timezone that you prefer... As they are player run events, with times entirely decided by those captors, because they put in the work to catch it, and were generous enough to allow others to participate after those others put no effort into the cause...

Also, how are Americans and Europeans the only ones in the world here when it comes to time zones?

Split into two zones will give players a better chance than just single zone, but it's true that this is still not a fair split.

22 minutes ago, Darnok said:

But the problem I described is quite important, because with an organization like the one at the moment, part of the game is unavailable to players just because they live in a different (less popular) time zone.

The EU timezone isn't less popular, the peak high for playercount daily is literally in EU gametime?

You're making suggestions to the game solely because a single person hosted a slaying at a time you didn't like and acting like it's ruining the game for you. If lesser popular time zones were such an issue, a better suggestion would be completely random slaying times so everyone has an even chance of a good time, but this suggestion is made solely for self-benefit. If you don't like staying up until 12am for an americans slaying, don't go to it and instead wait from someone from the EU to host a slaying more favourable to your time. Uniques spawn indefinitely so there'll always be opportunity for more slayings at different times.

• Like 4

As a lovely +8 GMTer I miss most riffs and 99% of all public slayings, so instead I just put more effort into capturing uniques myself.

They have already planned one change to uniques, lets not give them any worse ideas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

Split into two zones will give players a better chance than just single zone, but it's true that this is still not a fair split.

so what have 2 killed forced to be a certain number of hours apart? 

9 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

The EU timezone isn't less popular, the peak high for playercount daily is literally in EU gametime?

You're making suggestions to the game solely because a single person hosted a slaying at a time you didn't like and acting like it's ruining the game for you. If lesser popular time zones were such an issue, a better suggestion would be completely random slaying times so everyone has an even chance of a good time, but this suggestion is made solely for self-benefit. If you don't like staying up until 12am for an americans slaying, don't go to it and instead wait from someone from the EU to host a slaying more favourable to your time. Uniques spawn indefinitely so there'll always be opportunity for more slayings at different times.

In fact, this could be the solution. It would be fair to split the unique kills one for each time zone. It is simple to choose same time (for example 20:00) and each subsequent unique will be killed at the same time, but for a next time zone. This way, each player will have a chance to go to at least a few events that are closest to his time zone.

6 minutes ago, Darnok said:

In fact, this could be the solution. It would be fair to split the unique kills one for each time zone. It is simple to choose same time (for example 20:00) and each subsequent unique will be killed at the same time, but for a next time zone. This way, each player will have a chance to go to at least a few events that are closest to his time zone.

I think you don't really see that actually they spawn at random times a day. The person who captures them will decide when the fight is happening. This is a full sandbox approach and that would hurt the game to make it instance-like. Bad enough we have rifts already that way.

Edited by Jaz

11 hours ago, Darnok said:

1. This example can be broken down into more than 2 parts. But the problem I described is quite important, because with an organization like the one at the moment, part of the game is unavailable to players just because they live in a different (less popular) time zone.

No, part of the game is unavailable to players in less popular timezones because they are expecting handouts instead of putting in the effort themselves to locate and contain a unique.

There is no "organization like this one at the moment" because it is just people that are generous enough to make the slayings public that so happen to be in timezones less desirable to you.

• Like 2

Easy answer to your problem. Go out and catch yourself a dragon and then you can decide the time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Darnok said:

I think you missed my point.  Even the "two" timezones you invoke already span inconviently wide timezone differentials, so the "problem" (it's not one) is not even amenable to the "solution" (it's not one) that you suggest before even considering all of the rest of the players that you exclude from your proposal.  You are essentially saying "The problem is that I currently miss out so the solution is to make sure I no longer miss out." Making a concession to others by proposing, what, 12 - or is it 24 - separate forced schedules for uniques would abandon the notion of a sandbox game in favour of a spoon-fed hunting/fighting game.  No, thank you.

I miss out on uniques because I don't go find them therefore I don't set a time convenient to myself for the event.  

• Like 3