Sign in to follow this  
Amaluna

[BUG][Fixed] Hitched horses get diseased

I also had the same thing happen, thought it weird. I only have 2 horses hitched to the hitching post. One became diseased, the other did not.

5 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

If your ratio of animals on deed falls below 15 diseases are more likely..

Good point, but does not apply to my situation.

My current ratio

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 117.91071. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 19 creatures currently branded.

23 hours ago, Antony said:

I had 2 bison in a 2 tile pen and one became diseased.

Were these bison hitched to a hitching post?

I have been having a lot of issues with hitched horses getting diseased like this and the only thing i could think of assuming the code isnt borked, is tower guards? Passing through and spreading diseases?

48 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

I have been having a lot of issues with hitched horses getting diseased like this and the only thing i could think of assuming the code isnt borked, is tower guards? Passing through and spreading diseases?

My horses are hitched and no guards within 60ish tiles. I do have a templar, not sure if that would work the same way as a tower guard, if it is even possible.

Edited by gnomegates

Similar thing happened to me just now. I have 6 Hitching posts in a 3x3 locked Pen arranged like this : https://prnt.sc/vg33vo

Last night they had 3 sheep at each post with no disease, and no post (or sheep) was crossing or even touching a tile border, I was very precise about that.

However, this morning ( A difference of 8 Hours ) 3 sheep had disease, 2 at the back left post and 1 at the middle right post.

There were no free roaming animals in the pen.

No one else has access to the pen.

When I enter the pen, I walk down the center "Aisle" so I don't touch their tile.

No cave tiles underneath.

The tile per creature ratio of this deed is 134.93333. Optimal is 15.0 or more. This is a good figure. There are 4 creatures currently branded.

No other animals in the surrounding area have or had disease.

Animals moving onto my deed and lowering the ratio could not possibly be the cause, as my deeded tiles allow me 400+ animals at a ratio of 16.0 and I only have 40 Animals.

For now I've reduced the number of animals at each post to 2 as in the screenshot, to try and eliminate the problem.

Edited by Badgerbaps
Additional info

So, In the process of re-arranging my animals so that only 2 are hitched to each post I think I might have discovered why Hitched animals are getting diseased... Or at least some cases, anyway.

I think hitched animals "apparent tile", might not be representative of the actual tile they occupy.

Check out the screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/tWNpAf3

Those two packed tiles in the middle "Aisle" have been there for about 24hrs. I had assumed my moving up and down the aisle milking and grooming had packed the tiles, and so had not replanted them because it didn't seem important. However when I couldn't milk them for nearly 24hrs, and one of the cows became diseased I figured something was wrong, and tried replanting those middle tiles. Sure enough as you can see in the event log in the screenshots the cows grazed 19 times in 8 minutes from planting the thatch, implying that they hadn't eaten since those tiles had become packed yesterday, and thus why they weren't producing milk. Every cow should have had access to grazing as all 6 tiles that the cows cover were grass at all times. The only tiles that have been packed since I moved the cows in a couple of days ago is two of the tiles in the middle.

So the implication to me is that cows from either side of that "aisle" are actually covering the middle tile in some way...

Feel free to point out If I've made any incorrect assumptions.

(In the interests of eliminating guards/templars entering the pen as a possible disease contributor as has been suggested, I removed my templar several days ago and the nearest guard tower is about 80 tiles away.)

Edited by Badgerbaps
Typos

I think I've figured out what's causing all these problems with the diseases, and grazing of wrong tiles and such.

So in this picture are two cows attached to the hitching post. I packed the ground about 10hrs ago to deliberately make it impossible to graze on that tile. However as you can see in the event log in the picture, when I replanted the tile just now only the cow on the left "Cow 7 - No Graze" eats (and eats a lot), whilst the cow on the right "Cow 9 - Ghost Graze" doesn't eat at all in the same time. Clearly only Cow 7 was starting to starve.

https://imgur.com/a/ptgl6PC

That's because they were attached to the post in two different ways.

Cow 7 was lead to the post, hitched, then immediately unhitched, lead and hitched again. This is the method I use to force the cow to standing on the same tile as the hitching post when re-hitched.

Cow 9 was lead to the hitching post, but was NOT stood on the same tile as the hitching post when she was hitched, and I did NOT do the unhitch-hitch method to force her to stand on the correct tile.

In conclusion then, I believe that when you right-click hitch whilst leading an animal the animals visual location changes to indicate it's being hitched to the post. Crucially, however, I believe it's 'mechanical' position is still exactly where it was stood when it was hitched.

This could cause disease (in the case of being stood on an overpopulated tile in the moment before hitching) , and ghost-grazing as I call it, as the animal is still technically stood where it was in the moment before it was hitched.

I have 15 Hitching posts testing this theory and in 24hrs it as proved universally true. Using the above method to force an animal to stand on the hitching post tile before hitching has worked flawlessly.

Whereas If I deliberately lead an animal in such a way as it is stood on a tile other than the hitching post tile when I click hitch, it will remain on that tile for the mechanical purposes of calculating disease and grazing/trampling.

• Like 3

There is indeed a bug related to saving the creature's new location when it is hitched. In some ways, the game treats the creature as if it is still on tile it was on when hitched, not the new location. This contributes both to buggy disease and grazing habits, as Badgerbaps mentioned. It usually only causes short-term problems, as a server restart also fixes it for currently hitched creatures.

A more thorough fix is in the works, but in the meantime, Badgerbaps' workaround should help: Hitch the animal, then immediately unhitch it, make sure it's standing on the tile it should be on when hitched, then hitch it again.

• Like 2

Seems the fix for this has created the invisible hitched bug, I can see now that the horses will go invisible if you just walk up and hitch, a whole pen behaved like this and I couldn't see them for a week until I unhitched and rehitched in place, now I can see them all for a few days with no issue so the same temp fix for the displacement works for invisible animals

Edited by SmeJack