Sign in to follow this  
Muse

The Magic of Rare

What is a rare roll?  It's a moment of inspiration event accompanied by a rotating graphical aura of light display.  You can only see it if you have GLSL (OpenGL's post-processing shader effects) enabled.

Fascinated since I first saw one, I was at a loss as to how to describe them to new players. 

Wurmpedia describes it thus:

"A "drum-roll" and visual cue appears when your chance to create or generate a rare item arises. The visual cue is a green halo which will surround the border of the screen, lasting a fraction of a second."

I searched wurmpedia for a picture of a rare roll - so that I could examine it, but there were no pictures, so I set about trying to capture a screenshot of a rare roll to show people - and here it is!

Spoiler

Hi5DemD.jpg

As you can see the aura is a series of rotating coloured bands made up of predominantly red and yellow - which combine and blend to give a green as they tend towards the centre of the screen.  It's more complex than just a green halo :) 

I have long suspected that supreme rolls are a slightly different set of colours - go ahead! prove me right or wrong! :) 

Please post your rare+ rolls below!

• Like 3

"Aura" is definitely the right word (although I often think of it as a "swirl", considering the action of it).  As someone who experiences sudden and often bizarre migraines, I found the first couple of aurae, especially accompanied by the drumroll sound, to be quite alarming.  They still tend to cause a bit of a tick to my adrenalin, that has nothing to do with anticipation 😁

I have no chance of screen-grabbing one, because they still trigger a near-reflexive "freeze" where I basically remain still to see if I am about to tip over, or go blind, or smell burning bbq.  🤪 

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

Got these two bad boys a few minutes apart a couple days ago.

I love the rare mechanic in Wurm, though I wish the affects of rarity on items were more transparent.

• Like 1

I have no screen, but interesting story.

Once, when I was chilling in my southern Xanadu Rest when i had it yet, i had 5 Drum Rolls in matter of 13 minutes. 3x rare and 2x supreme. All successful! 

......... when i was mining stone walls. Best and worst day in my Wurm's life. 

• Like 2
  • Cat 1