Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

The Trickster's Tall Tales

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Well, it isn't a prairie...

Hide contents

I am no townee.  Even the little basic township forming on Stormfall is too city for me, so I  wandered around exploring the landscape.  Stormfall itself has neither sand nor clay, so campfires would be the pinnacle of furnace of technology at least until people had sailed off and returned with resources.  Lots and lots of timber, though, and without even mining I gathered more iron than I could easily carry.  In fact, it turns out that as great as it is being nomadic, it is hard to travel light enough to go about on foot but still have the necessary equipment.  I had already caught a horse, so I built a cart and got about with a team of 1 until I could find another horse.  It couldn't climb all the mountains with me, but served quite well, and I could park it and climb the last bit easily enough.  I knew that sailing was going to be absolutely critical to life in the Stormfall cluster, so started looking for a little bit of coast, not too far from ocean lanes but not too close to neighbours.  As I wondered the coastline it seemed that whenever I figured I was almost far enough away from the last dwelling, I would come across another.  Someone had started clearing a path behind their house, so I explored a bit and came out at some fresh coastline, and found a spot with a really very nice outlook.  I decided I would set up camp.  I planted some crops (a bit of cotton, a bit of wemp, a bit of food) and fenced it.  This is where I would build my boat.  I had brought some Walnut sprouts with me, so cleared an area and planted a little grove.

I thought about building a shed, but then it dawned on me.  A small farm, a little away from a pioneer town, a walnut grove - if I built a Little House I would have become Laura Ingalls.

I think your safe since it was Charles who built the little house and as your title states "It isn't a prairie". ;)

Also it turned out...(spoiler alert) Walnut Grove was on deeded land so there's that too. 😮  All kidding aside... Love your stories they make me smile! :D

• Like 1

Thanks.  It's been a while so I thought I should start some chronicling again.  Screenshots are great, but sometimes I also like to try to capture the experience.  

• Like 2

A game of spin the human

Spoiler

My sense of direction in Wurm is terrible.  I mean, it is truly woeful.

I was at the spawn mine on Stormfall (this is when there was ONE road running due south from the beach to the mine) and wanted to find a pass over the mountain and into the southern lowlands.  Stormfall itself has no clay, and I had not yet gone to the other islands, so I had no compass.  Apart from the steep areas that were bare rock, everything was fir trees, fir trees, more fire trees, and thorn bushes.  While finding my way around all of these, I tried to compensate and correct for each deviation.  I also had to run away from a troll.  The trek through the forest seemed to take a long time, with almost the whole time the visibility rarely more than about 10-12m.  I finally stepped out of the thick trees right onto a steep beach.  I decided to explore this a bit more, so, keeping the trees on my right and the water on my left I started walking.  Pretty soon I saw some cleared lands and some boats under construction.  Hang on a second.....  I recognized this.  I kept walking, and the landscape was becoming more and more familiar.  I had been trying to find a passage south.  I had departed from my start point facing south.  I exited the forest to the north-west of my starting point, facing north east.

Sailing is no better.  When I had built my boat, I checked the map and realized I had not chosen my camp very well for travel purposes.  The sailing route from Stormfall to Whitesand is North, but to get to the outer ocean I first had to sail South, then run North up the East coast.  I left not long before dusk, and by the time I rounded the South-East corner it was getting truly dark.  I was largely coasting and in trying to keep land in sight in the dark, I followed the coastline perhaps a little too closely.  Before long, I was no longer certain at all regarding where I was.  I tried to observe the land and match it to the map, but I just couldn't be sure.  I came across a little islet with a land bridge, which just didn't seem to exist on the map at all.  I got around that and seemed to still sail for quite some time, when I suddenly got a warning of a huge shark!  I figured I must have turned out and run into the Eastern border.  I corrected and went a bit further and tried again.  Same warning.  I wound up sailing in circles (I think) for quite a long time before conceding that I was hopelessly lost.  I beached and waited for daylight.  Then I got my bearings, went to the proper place and crossed over to Whitesand.  In the darkness I had circumnavigated three quarters of Stormfall and had been trying to sail off the WEST coast.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, AragornII said:

Love this!

Thank you!  I must write some more...

On 6/15/2022 at 12:26 AM, TheTrickster said:

Thank you!  I must write some more...

That would be brilliant! And you’ve inspired me to jot down my own chronicles ;)

Getting ready to start some more tales.

A warm up: 

I fell down a cliff the other day.  I guess you could say I made my mark.  

Don't Go In The Water

Spoiler

I have always been a little over-cautious of swimming. 

Actually, no not always, originally I didn't even know that I could swim.  When I was starting out I wandered a little bit cross country south-west of Haven's Landing and was stumped by Crystal Canal and backtracked quite a way exploring and finding a bridge over the canal.  It was only a few minutes after that that I accidentally ventured beyond wading depth and discovered I could swim.   However, almost every time that I had swum, I had died.  Mostly because I was badly injured and fled into the water, or I fell down a steep hill into the water.  So, I had no real idea of how far I might be able to swim.  I figured it wasn't much, so only swam across narrow crossings.

Flash forward to when I was just starting to set up my homestead on Redmyst.  As yet I had no compass (this becomes important).  I had a large armload of clay and tar and was heading to my beached boat for some crafting.  I was overloaded so going very slowly.   Long story short, I got distracted and a 4-year old slowly nudged be out into the water.  Next thing I know I am down to almost no stamina, still heavily overloaded.   I look back at the shore and it looks so far away; I know I am doomed.  I drop everything in the water (except for stuff that I can't drop, like the tent) and try to swim back.  Drowning.  Last gasp.  Drowning. About 10 metres from shore, I am done for.  

Remember the tent - in my inventory?  Remember the compass - non-existent?  I was now on a random spit of land somewhere, with no weapons or armour.  The patch of dry ground had no real height, so I couldn't get a view of the landscape.  What I could see was ocean, and silhouettes of islands.  I began picking my way, swimming from spit to spit, islet to island - avoiding several crocs - until I fetched up on a substantial island.  At last I could get some altitude and work out where I was.  That done, I could see that the only way to get to my camp was to plot out a score or more of ocean crossings, picking an extremely circuitous and rambling course.  I steadily swam wider and wider gaps, and found a growing confidence in just how far I could swim safely.   I was swimming gaps that on the map I had previously simply assumed were unassailable without a boat.   I saw a very good percentage of Redmyst but I eventually got back to my stuff.  Looking at the swim that had killed me and how close I was to the shore at the end was actually quite funny.  

After that I found that if I was going exploring, rather than trading or resource collecting, I would simply leave the boat behind and just swim from island to island.

Now I live on The Endless Isles, where of the 25 island groups I would be hesitant to attempt swimming to only about 4.  I am homesteading on a separate island from the starting town (and several islands over from where I started) and have made quite a few trips to town or to other islands to deliver items to other homesteaders and have not yet felt a need to make a boat of any kind. 

Swimming rules!

Edited by TheTrickster