Sign in to follow this  
MaurizioAM

Water From Other Sources

Please for the love of god add some sort of water content in other sources such as a watermelon and strawberries or all berries. Sometimes we are found in the middle of no where with no water source near by, we should be able to forage and get some veggies or berries that we can gain water at a slow rate by eating them, or crushing them for the water in them somehow. 

• Like 2

You could use a fruitpress, but it is an extra thing to be carrying.

Here is the solution I employ:  

• I carry 2 waterskins at all times.  I only drink from the waterskins when there is no other source nearby. 
  • I carry 2 waterskins in the saddlebags of each horse with me, so that is +2 if I am riding and +4 if I am on a cart.  The idea is to swap empty inventory ones for full from the saddlebags.
  • If I know I am going to travel a significant distance on foot, I take a full bucket with me.
  • I have at least a small bucket in every vehicle, usually a small barrel, full of fresh water.
  • Whenever I find a fountain, well, lake or pond I make sure all of my containers are full.
  • I always drink from standing sources when possible (i.e. seas, lakes, wells, fountains etc).

I am an explorer and mountain climber.  Sometimes I am multiple days away from a standing source, but I have never yet run out of water.   I do similarly with food.

IRL where I live is very dry, except for when it is flooding.  We can go 3 years with no appreciable rain and then get 3 years worth of rain in a day.  We know that you have to ensure your water security and make sure to stock up on water when you can get it. (I was out in the hail a couple of days ago finishing up clearing our rain harvesting pipes so I didn't miss out on the storm water).  Even though Wurm is virtual and water is plentiful, the habits of a lifetime don't go away.

• Like 2

p.s.  If you are in the south and need more waterskins, message me.  I am sure I have a chest with several that I would be willing to part with.  😉

Drink milk. Its like foraging for water, really. Comes from cow, sheep, bison. Activate any container you can carry and right click that animal - dont need water now!

The berries and fruit you find can be pressed into juice.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:
  • I carry 2 waterskins at all times.  I only drink from the waterskins when there is no other source nearby. 
  • I carry 2 waterskins in the saddlebags of each horse with me, so that is +2 if I am riding and +4 if I am on a cart.  The idea is to swap empty inventory ones for full from the saddlebags.
  • If I know I am going to travel a significant distance on foot, I take a full bucket with me.
  • I have at least a small bucket in every vehicle, usually a small barrel, full of fresh water.
  • Whenever I find a fountain, well, lake or pond I make sure all of my containers are full.
  • I always drink from standing sources when possible (i.e. seas, lakes, wells, fountains etc).

I am an explorer and mountain climber.  Sometimes I am multiple days away from a standing source, but I have never yet run out of water.   I do similarly with food.

I do the same.

• Like 1

Instead of a second water skin, also consider the pottery bowl which is somewhat heavier (0.5kg) but can also be used to cook food if not full already, also to milk sheep, cows, and female bisons. Another handy container is the measuring jug which is only slightly heavier than the water skin but can hold up to 10kg of liquid compared to 2.50kg of the water skin, and 9kg of the bowl.

• Like 2

guys... you're going OFF TOPIC, he's not asking for suggestions what or how many containers with SALTY water to carry around, guy asks for reasonable way to restore thirst bar when you're in the middle of ...... nowhere, from SCRATCH - when you have no buckets, no fruit presses and no goat to milk.

Can we do that.. with foraged items somehow or scrap something from environment grass moisture, tree sap or w/e of the sort... go watch some bear grills and suggest anything but his trademark of the weirdest stuff he loves to show.(rather not mention it)

• Like 3

Honestly?  Can't see the issue with raw berries quenching a bit of thirst.

It'd help early game players a lot, and those who are in more landlocked areas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

guys... you're going OFF TOPIC, he's not asking for suggestions what or how many containers with SALTY water to carry around, guy asks for reasonable way to restore thirst bar when you're in the middle of ...... nowhere, from SCRATCH - when you have no buckets, no fruit presses and no goat to milk.

Can we do that.. with foraged items somehow or scrap something from environment grass moisture, tree sap or w/e of the sort... go watch some bear grills and suggest anything but his trademark of the weirdest stuff he loves to show.(rather not mention it)

It's a bit of the old "give a man a fish" issue. 

The OP is asking for an easy way out of an entirely preventable situation, so people are suggesting the preventions.

My understanding is that one doesn't simply pop up in the middle of nowhere from scratch; one has to go there.  Water is already abundant in Wurm, as are containers that hold it.  The pottery bowl is a starter item, and holds 9kg of liquid, so players start the game with significant ability to carry water (and BTW none of my containers have SALTY water, even though it makes no difference in Wurm).  

8 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Honestly?  Can't see the issue with raw berries quenching a bit of thirst.

It'd help early game players a lot, and those who are in more landlocked areas.

The issue is it nerfs the thirst bar significantly, and discourages survival planning in the game.  Besides, there already is a way to get the liquid content of fruit and berries, which has been mentioned twice above.

I am not  necessarily against juicy foods giving a bit of a bump to the thirst instead of hunger bars, but I can see now that either raw berries will fill the thirst bar significantly, resulting in nullifying the dynamic of having separate thirst and hunger stats, or it will fill the thirst bar insignificantly, resulting in lobbying for it to fill the bar significantly.

The OP said,

22 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

we should be able to forage and get some veggies or berries that we can gain water at a slow rate by eating them, or crushing them for the water in them somehow. 

There are two replies that mention juicing them.

Thirst doesn't kill in Wurm, so venturing off into the middle of nowhere from a spawn point and taking no water provisions results in a pretty cheap lesson in survival.  The solution to that is to carry water, not to kill off that part of the game's RPG element.

Next we will be wanting full CCFP from foraging, or even foraged affinity foods.

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

Perhaps, if water sources could be found by some method other than needing a goodish ql pendulum (I don't know, maybe investigation of a single tile might suggest the lushness of the vegetation hints at an underground water source, if and only if the tile inspected is in the 3x3 square centered on the source.  No further info, as to whether it is above the source or adjacent to it, you have to try your luck),  it would be good to be able to access some water from such a source with some effort (e.g. "dig for water" or something).  It shouldn't be a major refill of the bar and it shouldn't be a quick-and-easy action, but a slowish timer that results in SOME recovery of the thirst bar while not leaving the landscape altered (we already leave the landscape unaltered when we bury, so that isn't revolutionary or anything).

Maybe a grass that is "wild" could by default provide a little bit of water, drunk directly, in a specific "forage for..." action.  So, on a grass tile you have to choose, do you botanize, forage for resources, forage for food, or forage for water.  As long as the water amount is small this would retain some balance.

I think something like this could enrich the game, but could also very easily ruin a nice aspect if not done very delicately.  I would NOT want the Wurm wilds to be a kind of "food in the fridge and water in the tap" place.

Edited by TheTrickster

Thank you to those thinking outside of the normal box range. I have played wurm for years i know very well the ways you can have water but all of those ways are the standard because of the lack of imagination behind some other ways you SHOULD be able to gain little bit of your thirst bar. If a fruit press is the way you say is the option what about using your bare hands? I'm pretty sure if you were to take some berries and crush them in your hands you would have a palm of liquid which you could feel a bit of refreshment if you were in dire need. Sometimes a trip that was meant to be short and simple ends up being a bit more complex and you may not wanted to run around with 500kgs of water in preparation. Wurm already provides that survival aspect feel with foraging and botanizing, so berries and watermelons are already able to be obtained so a small change to what they give you would work wonders.  Thanks also for mentioning the milking, i will look to try that out for sure. 

It is the very survival aspect that prompted me to think it would not necessarily be a good addition.  I was hoping to avoid IRL technical stuff but I now think it is worth considering.  In a real survival setting, the sugar-rich liquid in berries and fruits actually further dehydrates cells.  Thus, you should NOT be able to gain anything on your thirst bar by consuming juicy fruits. They should make it drop faster.

I have NEVER carried 500kg of water and have never run out, even when my "half hour to duck out, do a thing and come back" turns into a days-long ramble.  

In a survival setting, you should not step outside your door without the basics.  Sufficient food and water for a couple of days is the most basic of the basics.  If you DO step out without them, and find yourself waylaid, then rectifying the lack should not be as simple as two minutes of looking around you et voila magic water berries!  Going thirsty won't kill you in Wurm and "nerf this because I can't be bothered working with it" isn't really improving the game.

"Berries and watermelons" - okay, because I am a nerd and can't help myself, did you know that watermelons ARE berries?  True fact.  Also, I have never come across a watermelon in Wurm ever.  Are Wurm watermelons a thing?

Edited by TheTrickster
rmv snark
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

"Berries and watermelons" - okay, because I am a nerd and can't help myself, did you know that watermelons ARE berries?  True fact.  Also, I have never come across a watermelon in Wurm ever.  Are Wurm watermelons a thing?

I did not know this, and no I don't believe wurm watermelons are a thing though it would be nice if they were added. 🍉

As for more water sources I'd still love to see mountain lakes, rivers and streams and of course waterfalls but I just don't see that happening.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

The issue is it nerfs the thirst bar significantly, and discourages survival planning in the game.  Besides, there already is a way to get the liquid content of fruit and berries, which has been mentioned twice above.

I am not  necessarily against juicy foods giving a bit of a bump to the thirst instead of hunger bars, but I can see now that either raw berries will fill the thirst bar significantly, resulting in nullifying the dynamic of having separate thirst and hunger stats, or it will fill the thirst bar insignificantly, resulting in lobbying for it to fill the bar significantly.

I can see your point of view certainly, however this is generally only an issue early game.  At that point we don't want a difficulty spike, those should crop up around the midgame.  Personally, the only time I've had water issues is when I am walking everywhere, otherwise it has not been an issue.  I've yet to see many experienced players who walk everywhere given a choice.

I think the nerfing of "survival" is outweighed by the benefit to new players, for while berries are certainly not a good way to get water in the real world, the real world also has streams and rivers and that's not even counting the hundreds of ingenious ways humans have devised of harvesting water.  Hells, the main source of water in wurm is the ocean, which is beyond wogical.

16 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

Thank you to those thinking outside of the normal box range. I have played wurm for years i know very well the ways you can have water but all of those ways are the standard because of the lack of imagination behind some other ways you SHOULD be able to gain little bit of your thirst bar. If a fruit press is the way you say is the option what about using your bare hands? I'm pretty sure if you were to take some berries and crush them in your hands you would have a palm of liquid which you could feel a bit of refreshment if you were in dire need. Sometimes a trip that was meant to be short and simple ends up being a bit more complex and you may not wanted to run around with 500kgs of water in preparation. Wurm already provides that survival aspect feel with foraging and botanizing, so berries and watermelons are already able to be obtained so a small change to what they give you would work wonders.  Thanks also for mentioning the milking, i will look to try that out for sure. 

Squish berries and get some juice, find an apple when in season, get some thirst back...I like it..would it be going to far to suggest that if we kill an animal, we can drink its blood? :)

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I can see your point of view certainly, however this is generally only an issue early game.  At that point we don't want a difficulty spike, those should crop up around the midgame.  Personally, the only time I've had water issues is when I am walking everywhere, otherwise it has not been an issue.  I've yet to see many experienced players who walk everywhere given a choice.

I think the nerfing of "survival" is outweighed by the benefit to new players, for while berries are certainly not a good way to get water in the real world, the real world also has streams and rivers and that's not even counting the hundreds of ingenious ways humans have devised of harvesting water.  Hells, the main source of water in wurm is the ocean, which is beyond wogical.

Except this is not being asked to help new players, but someone who has played for years.  In my first couple of days I didn't realize salt water was drinkable, I walked something like 30-40km without ever running out.  

Yes, I agree with you about the ocean water, and also think we need streams etc.

I did suggest using some other, specifically water-gathering forage method for this.

Well I fail to see the issue with ocean water. It is only mildly salty, and it is even in the text that it is drinkable. And most of the continents, Xanadu in particular, have ways more sweet water lakes and according coast lines than ocean shores.

As to streams, rivers, creeks, and high mountain lakes, waterfalls etc., I would love it, but it is hardly feasible due to the 2d architecture.

Otherwise, Wurm provides enough drinking sources as described, even for new players. It does not take more than felling a tree, and foraging a while for sprouts and iron rocks (and berries), to create a fruit press, with fruit for available by foraging if no sickle available. And cows, sheep, and female bisons can be milked using any liquid container, pottery bowl, water skin, measuring jug, or jar.

Probably, the need for sufficient drinks might be pointed out more clearly to beginner explorers. Nerfing the survival aspect even more would be a shame.

• Like 2

I don't think we need any more water sources. Find a sheep, cow or bison, use a bucket or something on it. Boom, water. Lead it and you've basically got a portable well. Underrated.

• Like 1