Sign in to follow this  
Vooch

Lessons Learned at NFC Impalong 2020

Hello All,

This is a post to gather feedback from the New Festival Coe Impalong 2020.

What did you like or dislike about the event?  How can we improve for next year?

We're going to take this feedback, good or bad, in order to make our next impalong better.

I'll add some good and bad, after I get my thoughts together, but what did everyone else think of the event?

Edited by Vooch
  • Like 1

Devs,

Feedback from me and those at the event looks like this:

1).  COMPLAINT:  The Permission System in this game really suck!  The devs need to improve it a lot because everyone continues to complain about it!  The Proximity Bug is around... Rewrite that stuff!!!!  Reduce the pain, please!!!

2).  COMPLAINT:  NE imp building 3rd floor White Lighter (WL) enchanter area was a mess.  Refer to #1

UNRESOLVED:  I need a willing dev to fix this one.

3).  COMPLAINT:  Players could remove any item from raft.  This is a security flaw:

4).  COMPLAINT:  No one was able to do cleanup in the Fighting Arena.  Keep in mind, an impalong area needs to protect everyone's assets, yet allow them to partake in activities (eg. carving a corpse, dropping the meat off and/or picking up cotton from a fsb).

UNRESOLVED:   I need a willing dev to fix this one.

5). COMPLAINT:  My fault was when I did not know lava fiends could climb 6 ladders, cross a bridge, and attack priests.

RESOLVED:  I rectified this by creating gates between the fighting arenas on the 2nd and 3rd floors and the other two buildings.  I also had to attach gate locks to fix the issues.

6).  COMPLAINT:  PvP Tournament:   Not enough participants.

RESOLVED:  Next year, double prizes for the 3 tournaments from 10s to 20s each, and the grand prize from 20s to 40s to attract more people.  This is my fault for not realizing proper market conditions.

7).  COMPLAINT:  People don't remember the dates, so you have to PM them 2 WEEKS BEFORE, 1 WEEK BEFORE, 1 DAY BEFORE, WHEN IT STARTS and DURING the event so they know how many hours until it starts and how many hours until it ends.

RESOLVED:  I will try to add other time zones to my calendar of events next year.

8).  COMPLAINT:  We did not advertise in Freedom and GL-Freedom chat channels.
RESOLVED:  We assumed people would read our forum post at : 

RESOLVED:  We had friends that told other friends in other alliances.  When people started getting multiple prizes, my guess is they didn't tell their friends.  We chose by design not to tell people in GL-Freedom or Freedom chat.

9).  COMPLAINT:  I tried to go to forums.wurmonline.com

UNRESOLVED:  The devs would need to create a CNAME for forums that goes to forum on their DNS record.

10).  COMPLAINT:  Both wine barrels were empty.

RESOLVED:  Next year, we'll have 2-4 win barrels inside and we'll have a staff member check it daily.

Anyone else have anything else good or bad with your observations?  If so, keep the thread going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vooch said:

6).  COMPLAINT:  PvP Tournament:   Not enough participants.

RESOLVED:  Next year, double prizes for the 3 tournaments from 10s to 20s each, and the grand prize from 20s to 40s to attract more people.  This is my fault for not realizing proper market conditions.

What's wrong with the "Old" 

Participating is more important as winning

With increasing prices for an SIDE-event at an impalong, the entire focus of an impalong shifts from the IMPING to  the games.

When the main focus is at the GAMES and not the imping, at least have the balls to call it a "game along".

When the main focus is indeed at  the imping, then the prices are ok and the participants to the games should be honoured to participate and win a TITLE, instead of enough silver to run a deed upkeep or a premium of a character for months......

Thorin :) 

Edited by Thorinoakshield
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

What's wrong with the "Old" 

With increasing prices for an SIDE-event at an impalong, the entire focus of an impalong shifts from the IMPING to  the games.

When the main focus is at the GAMES and not the imping, at least have the balls to call it a "game along".

When the main focus is indeed at  the imping, then the prices are ok and the participants to the games should be honoured to participate and win a TITLE, instead of enough silver to run a deed upkeep or a premium of a character for months......

Increasing reward for a game =/= changing focus entirely

My main concern / question regarding all impalongs (not just yours) is : are they still needed. We no longuer have the newbie population we used to have 5 or 6 years ago. Nowadays a new player asking for help in freedom chat will instantly get enchanted tools free of charge (the equivalent of an impalong... our community remains new player friendly - which is great).

So, do we trully need IMPalongs hosted every month by different people, or just a brand new idea revolving more around the games and events - prolly sermons too, they are always needed - and less than the pure imping / casting that is slowly becoming irrelevant.

As for your concerns the permission system is a mess, but that can be bypassed by either becoming friend with everyone or adding people to a team to avoid the thievery prevention system. Same goes for the deed rules, you might want to adjust those on the fly for event while keeping fixed ones for the buildings. Player corpses are protected, so no one can steal  their content anyway even if you allow everything on your deed.

5 hours ago, Vooch said:

3).  COMPLAINT:  Players could remove any item from raft.  This is a security flaw:

I'm fairly new to the game so I may be missing something, however I do not think rafts can be locked (and therefore have permissions)? Are you suggesting the devs make rafts lockable, or something else?

Locks apply to the vehicle the raft is in don't they? 

What about the permissions system was an issue? What is the proximity bug? 

I also don't understand #4, is this. That your deed permissions didn't allow them to pick up? 

I see the lower participation as due to both time zones and lower overall attendance.  While having multiple impalongs  throughout the year can be fun and  easier it also reduces overall attendance.  I see the pvp games as a bragging rights/fun  thing more than sliver making thing , just my personal opinion. 

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I also don't understand #4, is this. That your deed permissions didn't allow them to pick up? 

I think Vooch is referring to something we call "proximity permission" - when the other person can't use items you dropped if they are not on your friend list or in your team. It is anti-thievery protection not a bug, isn't it? 

Vooch the only thing I didn't like was fighting contest. As we spoke on Freedom before impalong, best it would be with some standard gear issued by the even staff and people classified according their fighting skill in an enclosed area so fighters wouldn't abuse server quirks to win the fight, it is done so IRL. Like 2x2 tiles fenced arenas would be nice, that would also allow more fights going on in the same time. The lack of referees a problem too. If some blank QL50 armours and weapons were used the fight would be more about skill and technical abilities and the fight would last longer, not to mention healing from poison wounds takes ages, and the poor newbie I fought in a first round had no chance to win, even that I switched to a defensive stance and was doing every other hit, but at least the fight was longer and a lot pleasant to watch than me slaying him in two hits. 

Besides that it was great and I had a lot of fun. 😉 

Plus I liked your stream, you speak in a such natural way, not that annoying accenting on the first syllable pseudo-happy irritating manner many youtubers have. 

Edited by Platyna

I suspect one factor in any lower participation rate will be the North Freedom Isles and absolutely no ability for players now exclusively playing there to attend any of the traditional Impalongs in the servers of the South Freedom Isles.

It's a shame, really.  The brand new players who came with the Steam release to try out Wurm and, for the majority, chose the North Freedom Isles (and were encouraged to do so by the text in the tutorial server area) will never have been able to experience what a wonderous event the big Impalongs can be.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tristanc said:

I suspect one factor in any lower participation rate will be the Northern Freedom Isles and absolutely no ability for players now exclusively playing there to attend any of the traditional Impalongs in the servers of the Southern Freedom Isles.

Well we need to have some advantage over NFI. They have a lot of people we have nice events and PMK items. 😉 However, they now have, rite casts, enchanted items, all kind of rares, dragon slayings, maybe it is a time to think about the merger?

Short note  about new players' participation: It is indeed bit sad that NFI players have no chance to participate. I reckon that a NFI  Impalong might not happen before mid next year if at all.

But: As I have done most of my time during the Impalong at the BS and WS forges, I cannot confirm that there were no new players, indeed there were a couple, and they were quite pleased of the opportunity. It confirmed that impalongs are still a thing for new players. All in all, the participation during the impalong was not that bad, though. Maybe bit more "propaganda" in GL and other chats would not have been bad.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:06 PM, Retrograde said:

Not sure if the proximity bug here is the same as has been seen at previous impalongs. But, if a impalong helper moves an item from the original container to an overflow container, other helpers will not be able to retrieve the item for the owner as long as the helper that moved the item is in proximity.

#4 is interesting. At previous events the person getting killing blow on the mob has been able to butcher and remove the butchered items - even if they have not been able to bury the corpse.

Sadly I didn't manage to make the event, nothing to do with #7 though just another case of RL getting in the way :(