Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Global time for a global game

Can we PLEASE have all "official" times posted in the fora in UTC?  Even if you specified your times are UTC+1 (or UTC+2) would be better than invoking CET.  The game is published and played globally, across at LEAST 12 time zones.  Most of us know our own time zone in relation to UTC, or at the very least we should.  We also know our own local "summer time" or "daylight saving" adjustments and periods, or at least we should.   Asking us to convert between other timezones and our own might not seem like much, but it is not terrific communication to expect your audience to be running additional translation on the side above and beyond any language translation.  It's a bit like expecting global games communication to be primarily in English.  It's not everyone's first language, but it is one of the few "global" languages and for those not fluent it is one for which a ready translation is likely available.  

When I come across CET or CEST in official Wurm comms, I tend to stop reading.  If the author can't be bothered meeting me halfway, I can't be bothered doing their share.   The term has no relation to me, because not only am I not IN Europe, I am not even NEAR Europe. 

Central time USA because its literally in the center of the Globe

10 minutes ago, Melros said:

Central time USA because its literally in the center of the Globe

Geographical centre of the Earth is in İskilip, Turkey.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Platyna said:

oh

17 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Only if all landmasses have uniform thickness and density.  

28 minutes ago, Melros said:

I presume you have internet access because you are posting here and playing the game. Here is a good tool i found on the internet to solve your problem http://www.timebie.com/std/centraleuropeansummer.php

No, that doesn't solve my problem.  The problem is the "speaker" requiring the "listener" to find additional tools to translate the message.  Using the tool is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

33 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

No, that doesn't solve my problem.  The problem is the "speaker" requiring the "listener" to find additional tools to translate the message.  Using the tool is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I guess what im saying is this is pretty simple fix that i think anyone with a reaction time can figure out and do within 10 seconds

Edited by Melros

We do operate in CET as that's where the servers are based, I absolutely can also include that it's UTC+1 though. 

Also, using /servertime ingame will tell you the local time where the servers are based, for easier distinction. 

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We do operate in CET as that's where the servers are based, I absolutely can also include that it's UTC+1 though. 

Also, using /servertime ingame will tell you the local time where the servers are based, for easier distinction. 

Yes if (UTC+1) was appended to CET times that would be quite sufficient. (Or UTC+2 when it is CEST).

my game tells me in my time whats the time i dont get it,even the rifts in my time ,

UTC is best because it is easy to calculate time without Googling. Simple. 

• Like 2