Sign in to follow this  
Histaty

Compass to find your body!

There should be a way to find your body if you die in the wilderness.

I suggest being able to craft a compass with enchantment so it will point to your dead body

Die by the road sounds more like a code honor, lol, I did not know locate soul and summon corps already exists. Always learning something new in wurm! 

Thanks for the replies 

Summon corpse is very expensive and not an option for newer players. The other one is a priest spell, not a high level one but still. If you have a somewhat new player searching alone, they can spend hours and never find their corpse. It sucks and I think having something more universal that all players know about and can be used by fairly new players would be very valuable. I don't know how many players rage quit over losing their corpse in the wilderness, but I bet it happens.

I generally know where it is I died and don't usually have a lot of trouble finding my corpse, although I have once or twice had an almost impossible to find corpse.  Once, I was helped by another who used locate soul to help me and once I just kept working a grid search until I found it.

If I know I am in real trouble I try to drop my tent so at least I have a close-by spawn point.

My first death (by troll no less) was very traumatic.  I searched for hours.  I had to recreate all my tools and gear.  Nearly nothing stayed with you on death back then.  That experience really put some healthy fear into me back then.  I personally think death is getting pretty easy to tolerate now and we probably don't need more assistance than we already have for this part of the wurm experience.

One of the neat things is how the community can jump in to help by donating replacement gear.  We all have an old shovel or pick we aren't using anymore. It ends up creating new friendships.

If we were to do something with a compass, I'd probably suggest the same locate spell be capable of using on a compass to temporarily aim it at the corpse - maybe for 30 seconds.

What I don't like are the typical MMO games where your corpse always has a map or compass marker, so you never have trouble finding it.  Too easy.

• Like 1