Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Those that stayed on "old servers" - why?

6 hours ago, Platyna said:

Mommy brought your little newborn brother from the hospital, don't feel neglected, let her give him some extra care for him until he will at least walk. 😉 

Understanding simple math, and knowing wogic behind many decisions, lil bro will be most likely dead before I get to see him.

left SFI and started a new, dont feel attracted to my  14 year old toon anymore,new server,new platform and new char sold it for me, i fully enjoying it.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

Been in game for roughtly 10 years.sold and purchased my accounts few times.done intensive grinding on Zarame,sold him, done same to Zerku, sold him, Helorn, Zandry,Zakuro and few others been around like that. Cant take the grind anymore, so now with Zarame and 2 other priests i enjoy the wurm game casual.sometimes i spam pickaxes heads for days to get a supreme.sometime i imp a hatchet to 95ql for no reason.sometimes i just hunt.

Basically i have the skills i need tost to do everything and nothing.

Thats why i stay on the old servers

• Like 4

There are new servers? Nice. My deed on Indy is good enough for me though.

• Like 3

I am staying and going. Keeping all the old server toons (well, we have to keep them now) and keeping most of my deeds up, but thinning a few that were not being used.  Spending nearly all my time on the new, because in every game I play, I love doing fresh starts.  I have a chance to compete on the new servers, with alts that I made.  Sense of great accomplishment.  Old servers have massive sentimental value and I am not giving that up.  So Wurm gets double the cash and I am sure they planed for that very thing.  I can't really complain too much, because I am getting immense enjoyment from the new servers right now.

I'm sure we will all be joined one day and my new server alts will lose all their appeal, once a flood of mega high skilled players (including my own legacy alts) show up.  Then I'll drop the new subs and switch to the old ones.  Shuffle deeds around again.  Probably take another 6 months off and play some other game that has a new something something to try again.

I kept my old deeds and toons. I log in occasionally just to check things, but I did new toons for the NFI release. Why? Because I am actually enjoying the grind again. That sense of accomplishment; Ohhhh look I made this, or I can do that. I can kill a troll!! I lost that on CD. So many skills were over 90. I could go afk in the middle of the woods, and unless some really extraordinary set of circumstances happened I'd be fine. Now a simple trek to the starter town has me worried. 

So, while I am attached to the SFI, the NFI has given me a chance to feel that new excitement again. 

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

18 hours ago, Elwood2 said:

left SFI and started a new, dont feel attracted to my  14 year old toon anymore,new server,new platform and new char sold it for me, i fully enjoying it.

Off topic, much?  The thread is about why people stayed.

• Like 2

I don't want to do the skill grind again and I'm past my addiction to Wurm. 😛

There is nothing new about the new servers, this is only marketing. Not interested in paying twice for the same thing.

• Like 2

My deed is one massive project that's far from finished. Just leaving that to go to the new servers wouldn't feel right. I'm also not interested in grinding up skills again, I've avoided grinding skills as much as possible over the last 10+ years to begin with, most gains are from natural skill usage instead. So a new server, requiring new characters, doesn't really offer anything interesting for me.

Zexos and Valdor basically said it for me.

Release is home. I'm not finished with all the things I want to do on SFI, even after eight years. I like my neighbours, and my alliance mates, and the regulars on my server. I know my server like the back of my hand and I have memories stretching back years of adventures I've had there, of friends who've come and gone, of stories we still tell about the shared history. I like the people, I like the benefits of the skills I've spent years accruing, I like that I have several servers worth of geography melded into my brain but I'm still discovering new places, new people, adding more. There's enough people to feel like a community exists around me in the day to day, enough people to make a big event like a slaying or an impalong feel 'big', but not so many people that I can't find space to expand or settle a new deed for a new project on a whim, and no grief with border disputes or the beautiful terrain around me getting wrecked by people in their hundreds coming and then vanishing. I've been gathering special animals for years that I lovingly tend, gathering resources for things I decide to build on a whim, slowly upgrading my furnishings, my decor, my equipment. I pick my deed spots for the views and the access routes to my other deeds and favoured seafaring routes, and I'm building a beautiful web and I love it. My main deed is a home away from home for me, and home is where you're happy. Why would I leave?

• Like 8

I'm not feeling interested in the same start as south PVE islands and therefore I'll stay. Actually why I still mainly play these days on North is Defiance. I enjoy the different playstyle which is actually KvK and more a community world inside the kingdoms (tbh PVE servers are the PvP ones except not by slashing up each other but every other way).

Why not Chaos? That is a terrible setup to have it connected to pve servers.

Why not Epic? Don't need to explain I guess.

• Like 1

same game, different dirt. 

I'm a casual player, having first arrived over 10 yrs ago. I'm finally getting my toons to the point where they have skills in the 90s.  I'm not starting over now.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

I'm not feeling interested in the same start as south PVE islands and therefore I'll stay. Actually why I still mainly play these days on North is Defiance. I enjoy the different playstyle which is actually KvK and more a community world inside the kingdoms (tbh PVE servers are the PvP ones except not by slashing up each other but every other way).

Why not Chaos? That is a terrible setup to have it connected to pve servers.

Why not Epic? Don't need to explain I guess.

I'll agree that pve could use some new approach(upgrade) for daily-weekly-monthly events people can do alone or in groups being with friends/village/alliance/or bigger groups of random people like slayings/rifts.

But I do not think anyone from staff is rethinking how to make the game fun, once you have a deed, settle and have most things you want.. it's grinding/shenanigans and and working on own and other projects - which is not 'game designed content' it's a gap you fill with goals of your own to mask it.

• Like 2

I tried the new servers. I found them a bit over populated. Too hard to get horses, etc when so many people take so many. Also, I do enjoy exploring the world and see deeds that people have worked on for years! On the new servers, everything is pretty much the same. On the old servers we have a nice deed, and when we deeded on the new servers, someone deeded all around us so we are left with no way to expand. So, in essence, guess I feel there is more freedom and more to see on the old servers. I do hope they merge them tho!

• Like 5

I created a new toon for the new servers. Played there a few days. Totally lost interest after hitting the 20 cap and not wanting to premium and deed somewhere *again*.

I've created a lot of toons on many games and many alts, but the slow grind of Wurm makes it less than fun to have to grind up from zero, yet again.

That's just me. Some people love it and that's their favorite play style. More power to them. Everyone enjoys Wurm differently.

But for me it's my deed on Pristine that, even though looks MASSIVELY different than it used to, holds the fondest memories for me.

No WU server has really done that but one, and it doesn't exist anymore.

New toons on a new server, new lands, are exciting for a short while, but just don't have the staying power for me that my first and oldest deed does.

I know every inch of the area around my deed for 'kilometers' around, and I like it that way. It's home.

• Like 5

Friends & family, and premium. I like the peace and quiet and the value of silver on SFI.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:52 AM, Zarame said:

Basically i have the skills i need tost to do everything and nothing.

Gosh darn poetry.

Edited by Antony
unintentional blank quote

Feels redundant to completely start over on the new servers, knowing that after the hype dies they will return to the lower population, with less people of higher calibre to make the longer grinds easier etc etc....

• Like 2

While I am happy that Wurm is enjoying a new influx of players with the Steam launch, I never wanted to go to the new servers. I don't like having people in local, crowding my deed and making changes to the local landscape that I have worked on. Also, reading various posts and talking to friends who went over and made new toons, I'm unimpressed with the new players and some of the old players that have come back. There seems to be a gold rush mentality along with the land rush, a sense that the main reason people have come back to play is to use their experience to quickly skill up and then price gouge in order to fill up their bank. While not everyone that is on NFI fits that description, there's enough of you out there that it makes me hope that you stay there forever and never come to SFI. I enjoy the peace and quiet, the ability to go deep into the wilderness, never see anyone in local and not have to worry that the hard work I put in will be jeopardized by some newb. If I want conversation, I have plenty of friends who I can chat with, there's also Freedom and GL-Freedom (which tbh I hardly ever look at), and there's enough trade going on on SFI that I can find imping and casting services when needed, good quality food at a decent price, and I can sell the dirt I'm generating in sufficient quantities to make a tidy sum. And for all the talk about people loving the grind of their new character, I don't see the charm of starving, taking forever to do simple tasks, and getting killed by wolves. Y'all can keep all that.

• Like 3

I have no interest in starting grinds all over again, been there and done that once, that is enough. I play with the same friends I have known for years. I have no interest in losing that either. A well established deed with good supply of mats on hand. I have no reason to go to the new servers. 

• Like 3

Even though I have been playing for over 5 years, I'm just now starting to explore the area I live in.  We're on an island, so it's contained and harder to get lost, but it's still taken me this long to get to that point.  Having to learn a new land just isn't appealing to me.

I also don't like the idea of competing with everyone else to see who gets the higher skills first, etc.  Everyone starting from scratch is nice, but you have the people that are rabid grinders who will rush to improve skills so they are better than others, blah blah blah...I don't need that kind of stress.  Being on the old servers is nice because people do have different skill levels that makes it easier to find someone to imp this or that. 

I just never really had any desire to see what a budding Wurm land was like I guess is the bottom line.

• Like 2

I did start a new toon on Cadence to do a bit of exploring and see what the northern servers and folks are like. It's been interesting to wander around, chat with people, and build a bit in a nice spot I found (after many hours of wandering through fairly crowded areas). I've found people to be friendly and helpful, and I enjoy the challenges of a new toon. However, I never intended to make a permanent change or addition.

I love Indy, I love my deeds, my toons, my alliance, my friends. I have a lot of history here. I don't want to regrind skills. I enjoy the mature community of players (even though I haven't gotten to know most of them personally because I don't talk much). I love looking around and seeing Dragon Fang always there, showing me my way home. I don't leave my deed much, but when I do there is always some new architectural feat to admire, or a great imp along to join. This is my home, my community, and I'm very happy here.

• Like 1

I have trouble starting new characters on Diablo 2.

The only reason I start new characters on Morrowind is I don't keep the mods installed, and can never get them in the right order again.

Did the grind telling myself "when I get to the top, I can enjoy the view"
I'm enjoying the view

• Like 4

I still have things I am working on and towards. Goals to achieve. Lessons to learn. Maybe someday I will venture to the new servers. But for now, its my quiet little spot in Indy. 😃

• Like 1

If the new servers offered something new I'd play on them. But it's the same game. And i don't have another 10 years of my life to spend re-grinding the same skills just for the same gameplay.

Personally I think the devs missed an excellent opportunity to experiment with various server types like WU does.

Make a new server for example with 8x skillgain and add pvp to it.

Make another server with 3x skillgain but the server is populated by an insane amount of dangerous creatures such as eaglespirits, nogumps, dragons (that don't always give scale) , etc.

Wurm really needs new content to attract and keep players.

As such, I'm not leaving Deliverance until I actually see some new meaningful content to drag me back into the game.

From what I hear, the quality of life is pretty bad on the new servers. Overinflated prices, people already establishing monopolies, people are overcrowded, new players don't have the same respect they would get from the old player base, such as Not planting a deed on a public mine, or public docks, or someone's orchard.

• Like 2