Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Those that stayed on "old servers" - why?

I don't want to create a poll, as there may be too many different reasons to list...

Personally, I didn't want to make the skillgrind again. I have my deed on Release just the way I like it and I can enjoy the game with my things as they are. 

• Like 7

I stayed on the old servers because I saw no reason to go for me.  They did not interest me.   That and I have friends on the old servers.  Oh and I also did not want to have to skill gain up again. 

I like to create buildings and mine caves + change the land.  I can't be bothered with starting over again and having to wait more time to make things, that I want to make + losing all of my higher end equipment.

Also, it is nice to travel around an area on a server and feel like "I made that" or "This is home"  like the village, community and the people felt like home.

Oh and the land rush did not interest me on the steam servers and the mass loads of people either did not interest me.  Why would I want to be in a city like setting with people all around.  No thanks. 
It is fine every now and again like for events and such but really big crowds around all of the time.......I need a break from the people.    I do like connecting with people but at my own pace.  That and all of the drama on the steam forums and such, did not help matters > . >

• Like 7

I got excited and got into Steam release.  Then after a few days I got frustrated with all the low skill grinding and lack of resources at the time.  Already did it for 5 years.  Took a break for a few months, recently came back and now I play on Xan again where I already have a good deed setup.  I like to explore and do wish the servers will be connected in the future.  I also feel like I'm missing out of some fun with others on the Steam servers.  It makes sense for how PvP works though.

• Like 3

I made a toon on NFI for "purposes", but I enjoy my deed on Indy too much to up and leave it.

Doing the newbie grind on a new toon while keeping up with the maintenance on SFI is too much at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neopherus said:

I made a toon on NFI for "purposes", but I enjoy my deed on Indy too much to up and leave it.

Doing the newbie grind on a new toon while keeping up with the maintenance on SFI is too much at this point.

Pretty much this. 

I both stayed and left.

I created a new character for NFI and just figured I would play it by ear as to which character I would go with when I got a chance to play.  More and more I have found it to be SFI is a "got to" and NFI is a "if I can squeeze it in".  I haven't logged in to NFI for I think a couple of weeks (my premium is a week past expired I think), and haven't missed it.  I am more at the moment motivated by guilt that I may need to log in so I can move my cart and let the beasts have some fresh grass.

I have been doing the same kind of general stuff on both, but found myself gravitating more to my down-under guy mostly because I get more enjoyment from both the environment and the neighbourhood.  For a server with a bucketload of players, I have found few neighbours on Cadence that I enjoy being around (and in "neighbours" I include characters located well away from my "region" on the island).  I can count on my left hand (that being the hand with fewer fingers) the number of individuals I communicate with whenever they are on.  For all the "old servers are empty" talk, I have found that for my mileage playing on the new servers has almost been like playing in single-player mode.  Even the players jerks on Release are more enjoyable than the ones on Cadence, in my own opinion.  Or it may just be that I am better equipped there for a bit of playful gaslighting.

• Like 2

There was just no point to me to ditch what I'd already worked hard on, I didn't want to start again (even after only 4 months). 
Besides, to me the only 'real benefit' the North has over the South will be moot once it matures.

• Like 3

To sum it up for everyone ' Been there done that '

I started on Indy when it was crowded and left as soon as I could to find some space.  I do not want to go back to the land wars, highway squabbles,  overpriced animals and equipment.

I did it on Indy, I did it on Deli, I did it on Pristine.  Now I can have pretty much my choice of any land I want resources are plentiful, and there are enough customers to keep my premium up from selling my wares.  = Life is good in the South 

• Like 4

I love my deed, I love my server and the people on my server, and I don't value brand newness for the sake of brand newness. Seems like there's a lot of nice people on the new servers, but eh, I like where I am. 

• Like 9

For me, it was clear that I would not go to the north before the cluster borders are opening some day (or not). I just created a character for observation and possibly help and advice when needed (it worked out that it widely was not needed so far as there are enough experienced Wurmians around).

Reasons are simple.

• I do not want stress ingame. If I want stress, there is enough in RL, be it job, relationship, family, traffic, whatever. And "land rushes" definitely are stress.
  • I started nearly 3 years ago, and still find a lot to develop on my recent main character, not to speak about my 3 priests. Starting "anew" would never feel new as it felt from mid December 17 on. It seems to me like delusions of aged and midlifers that they could be "young again", which often results in weird behaviour. Ok to those who like it, enjoy.
  • I found a great area, deed, mining, sailing, and hunting environment, alliance, neighbours, friends. All that took years to develop.

All the best to all enjoying NFI, have fun and stay safe. Maybe me all can meet some day.

• Like 4

I made a new charachter for the northern isles.

Played around for a bit.

But as I never had any plan of grinding up another charachter from scratch I went back to the old cluster after a few months of casual noob play.

• Like 3

why move?

there's just market profit opportunity on new servers.

I do not chase to make 1000 new friends -in-person-, I get to see and interact with them in chat anyway as it is.

starting over after spending your time on a character is meh.. learn from WU(for example)

• Like 3

Walking away from 7ish years of character skilling isn't something I'd be willing to do.

Did a fresh start once; got bored after 2 weeks.

• Like 6

I've been waiting long time for new people in Wurm. I love to see this extraordinary game more alive. But i strongly feel, (personal opinion) that older players are pretty much discarded and. Steam release just deepen this feel. 

I've no intention of leaving everything behind, especially my toon that I've been working. I find it kinda insulting, to be placed before a choice of: get into new, fresh community, land, people or stay with your toon separated from new lands, new friends. 

I didn't play for such a long time to find myself in this position. So I'm gonna stay, do my stuff where I belong. Where I have to in fact. 

• Like 3

I love my deed on Ind, the only way to wipe me out there is to ban me. I like to have people around me but not crowds, and I knew this will be rush. 

• Like 2

I started playing on the Steam release but I was lost and the Steam community wasn't friendly at all..

Couldn't find a nice place to settle so I quit playing after a week or so. I returned because I red so many nice things about the community.

Decided to try out one of the old servers and thats how I was welcomed by the veteran players. Best community ever!! (Well on the old servers, not the new ones.)

Now I can't leave 🥰 I just can't!

• Like 13

I am among the people who did make a new toon to play on the new cluster a little bit, but it was mostly to spend time with a friend from Xanadu that moved north; never had any intention of abandoning what I have in South Freedom. Mostly for the reasons people have listed; I just finally started getting ahead with my two toons, not interested in a completely fresh slate again.

I also just have a good connection with people in the South Freedom cluster, and I'm making more friends every day :) I'm not bothered by the new cluster, I can actually understand the concept; only thing that bugs me is that new players are often *encouraged* to join North Freedom over South Freedom, but I've made my case against that elsewhere.

• Like 2

I made a new character in the North during the opening week, just to have the "thrill" of exploring a Wurm landscape relatively untouched yet. Did that for enough to see the sights and imagine what everyone will eventually build!.... and now I'm back to work, lol, where I live. Didn't see a particularly compelling reason to move in such a dramatic way. If I really wanted to scrap my deed & move to "untouched wilderness" - there's plenty of that still on the Southern isles, without needing to also scrap my character too. 

And, for me, the biggest no-go was my name. In life sim games, I play more-or-less as me, Amata. I would have wanted to option for my new Northern character to take that name, but that's not a thing (yet?)... so, no name = no go. 

• Like 2

i was about to make a post like this asking similar thing.

I'm having fun on the new server kinda.  at the start i made 5 characters, 4 priests and a main. made a good deed, and placed some more for big plan later.  but as as the 2 month prem ran out.  i only re activated my new main and FO priest , as i love farming and ranching. want to get to 70 faith to cast on pets. just over 48 now. so i think 2-3 months away without surmons .  my main i just build with, and landscape a ton. i started blacksmithing 30 ish now. 

But after this as my prem is about to run out again this week. i activated my main on xanadu for 3 months, for the xmas gift. I also have the mark points for a 5th large magic chest or 4th trans Rod.  my xanadu deed has all ores already and 4 ships worth of crates of resources.  a good small deed for low upkeep.

thought i'd alt tab the 3 of them to skill gain. did so before the new sleep bonus at least. 

but now i'm on the fence.  i love the new server deed location and it did have a lot of folks in local and in alliance to chat to. but a month has going by i've seen 3-4 people in local. and almost zero allance chat with 20 deeds in it.  my xanadu main almost never sees local players either, but the aliance has at least 3-4 on at all times to chat with.

my main 43 body str and 35 or 45 mind logic "5 que actions"  i miss a ton. plus all my tools.  the idea of grinding al over, to one day join servers and just sail over, why would i need the new characters at that point. i also have priests on xanadu.  it kinda seems pointless, except to keep farming and ranching and sell for silver upkeep tot the deeds and wait the 1-3 to 5 yrs till we merg servers. Do i keep building the deeds painfully slowly, waste silver on more tools. or just grind my own tools without casts on them.  or just pay upkeep for the years and play my xanadu main , grind the skills i dont have high and enjoy the old times.

i was about to prepay for 3 months on the new main and priest, as i would be able to buy a large magic chests and Rod to use on new server. but stopped to come read the forums and see if others feel the same way, the new frill is over, and the terrifying skill grinding again is not as welcoming as it seemed a few months ago. 

i've always been cursed with game jumping and taking breaks.  wurm though i always come back to for 3-6 months a year. but already feeling like a break is needed.  i love playing games i can alt tab and que actions. i play dual universe and wurm. past 2 months, and summer was satisfactory and wurm. last march wurm and factorio. may-june was just everquest.  

burn out always sucks.  i know my furture plan to to move my xanadu life to harmony .

had to vent and post this. not sure if any others in the same boat. stuck between both places. not ready to ripe off one of the bandaids...

12 hours ago, Alkhadias said:

I've been waiting long time for new people in Wurm. I love to see this extraordinary game more alive. But i strongly feel, (personal opinion) that older players are pretty much discarded and. Steam release just deepen this feel. 

I've no intention of leaving everything behind, especially my toon that I've been working. I find it kinda insulting, to be placed before a choice of: get into new, fresh community, land, people or stay with your toon separated from new lands, new friends. 

I didn't play for such a long time to find myself in this position. So I'm gonna stay, do my stuff where I belong. Where I have to in fact. 

I understand what you mean. I really do, Alkhadias

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, Alkhadias said:

But i strongly feel, (personal opinion) that older players are pretty much discarded and. Steam release just deepen this feel. 

Mommy brought your little newborn brother from the hospital, don't feel neglected, let her give him some extra care until he will at least walk. 😉 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

Because it's home. I have been on Celebration for years and I absolutely love the server. I love its people, its lands, its waterways...

I am familiar with many corners of the server and from time to time I travel around to see the changes. I can remember old deeds in places where today only forests roam. I can remember Kami Canal the way it was several upgrades ago. I can point you to where the first unique was killed, where the first bridge was built, or to old tunnels which few know about. Every part of the land is history to me. I know where the best hunting spawns are, where the best gold or best marble is, where I have to go for shortcuts over many mountain passes. I can remember Tapdance Market the way it was before its 1st redesign.

Celebration is home to me. I love my deed there and I love how we are defined more by water than by land on Cele. A horse and cart is as important as on any server, but on Cele a good ship is a must. Our waterways are our main roads.

I guess I am getting sentimental after all those years. But so many neighbors came and went and so many areas were rebuilt and rebuilt again. Yet after all this time, Celebration remains... majestic, timeless and evermore my place in Wurm.

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 6