Sign in to follow this  
Slahn

Wemp?

Dear Wurmians ,

I was getting into farming this night and when I started a couple of days ago and started growing wemp I had no idea it was actually hemp.

What is the reason for that namechange cause they even look like hemp plants? 

Sorry for the random question but I was curious. 😅

Family-friendly ratings.  Ratings boards will automatically give a strike to games that have content they view as counter to their idea of forbidding glamourization of or inclusion of 'drugs'.

Also, please don't refer further to hemp plants in this thread.  The same sorts of issues can cross the line here in the forum as well regarding substances which are illegal in certain countries with regard to topics/references in the forum as well.  Forum rules aren't negotiable in this regard.

Referencing wemp is fine, discussion of wemp is fine, but please honour the request not to tie it to any plants existing out of the game.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tristanc said:

Family-friendly ratings.  Ratings boards will automatically give a strike to games that have content they view as counter to their idea of forbidding glamourization of or inclusion of 'drugs'.

Also, please don't refer further to xxxxxxxxxx  in this thread.  The same sorts of issues can cross the line here in the forum as well regarding substances which are illegal in certain countries with regard to topics/references in the forum as well.  Forum rules aren't negotiable in this regard.

Referencing wemp is fine, discussion of wemp is fine, but please honour the request not to tie it to any plants existing out of the game.

Honestly... thanks for the clarification. 

I had noticed the same when I first started, and had a vague idea why there might be a little extra fantasy element in the textile plants compared to say, grains or veggies. But my gaming history has been such that I typically shrug at these things and just go along with it. 

But I really do enjoy actually knowing that my vague guess was in the ballpark, and that there actually is a specific and 100% solid reason for it. Especially since sometimes the "why" here is ... #wogic 

I am also guessing that the technicalities and nuances of what may or may not actually be illegal aspects versus legal aspects of any given plant or substance - really just isn't worth getting into over what amounts to an aesthetic change in terms of game mechanics. 

And, as a final note - I'm pretty sure there was some in-game chit chat just the other day on my server when a newer player noted (more or less) exactly the same point. I made at least one comment listing my favorite sustainable IRL textiles, and real-world-wemp was on the list. It was a casual and off-hand comment for me, but I see now that in the wrong place at the wrong time, something like that could put my favorite computer game in a tough position. I will definitely refrain from any comments like that in the future. 

• Like 2

Follow-up Question: 

Given the potential for putting the game in a tough spot, does anyone know why wemp was included as an in-game textile in the first place? Is that plant specifically more historically-accurate for Western European late-medieval rope making fibers? (Something I've never actually googled before).

I know that in some of the other historical games I've played with ancient or historical settings, I've seen other textile plants such as:
• flax (ridiculously useful for linen, twine, rope, early paper products, linseed oil, flaxseed, livestock feed, and producing ink and paint, also historically accurate)
• sisal (rope making in the Americas, from... cactus? yucca?)
• coir (fibers from coconuts)
• manila (fiber from a type of banana tree)

• jute (which just occurred to me now, and I can't remember details about it)

Soooo, is it #wogic? or is there a reason we have wemp instead of .. flax? 

• Like 2

I'm not sure that they were trying to be extremely accurate when making the game so long ago. But most likely it was the easiest solution. lol

Thanks Tristanc for the clarification! My apologies if I said something wrong, this wasn't what I was trying to do.

Like Amata said I had a vague idea why it was but I had no idea the rating of a game went so deep.

Now I totally understand, so thanks again!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Amata said:

Follow-up Question: 

Given the potential for putting the game in a tough spot, does anyone know why wemp was included as an in-game textile in the first place? Is that plant specifically more historically-accurate for Western European late-medieval rope making fibers? (Something I've never actually googled before).

I know that in some of the other historical games I've played with ancient or historical settings, I've seen other textile plants such as:
• flax (ridiculously useful for linen, twine, rope, early paper products, linseed oil, flaxseed, livestock feed, and producing ink and paint, also historically accurate)

I know the fibers were used in my country for making ropes for sailing ships as well as to tie up bales of straw / hay and even as some sort of bridle to guide horses / cows bulls. That was done a long time before the mind enhancing abilities of a small part of that plant was discovered and even done after those effects were discvered.

And yes, Jute is made of that plant's fibers.

Thorin :) 

5 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

I know the fibers were used in my country for making ropes... etc.

Oh yes! 
real-life-wemp is definitely one of my favorite multipurpose textiles. I had a cross-body satchel made from wemp that was so freakin' awesome I used it as my bookbag from high school thru college (when it eventually fell apart from constant use). 

You'll get no argument from me on the versatility and sustainability and historical super powers of wemp. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amata said:

Follow-up Question: 

Yes, I have quite a few time wondered why we don't have flax.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Amata said:

I had a cross-body satchel made from wemp

Hippy

😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Hippy

😁

.... I was going to argue some point here... but it turned out easier to just accept this statement and move on. 

• Like 2

rolf thought the game needed to change the name to wemp to keep it family friendly while at the same time he still had descriptions of giving live stillbirths to female players if their child died (i suppose mentioning you could breed players with zombies is important too)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RainRain said:

rolf thought the game needed to change the name to wemp to keep it family friendly while at the same time he still had descriptions of giving live stillbirths to female players if their child died (i suppose mentioning you could breed players with zombies is important too)

because, of course. It's only wogical to do it that way. 

5 hours ago, Amata said:

.... I was going to argue some point here... but it turned out easier to just accept this statement and move on. 

Think nothing of it.  I was assuming my curmudgeon guise for the sake of making a (very) small joke.

• Like 1