Sign in to follow this  
Radircs

Skill Beacons/Creating a roaming incentiv on PvP (and PvE?)

I have edit text and titel to bring my point better accros and shorten the wall of text but for refrence her is the original post (I don´t want to give peopel the impression I change stuff afterwards to make them look bad)

Spoiler

I have to say casual PvP for objective don't happen in the current environment. HotA is still a Scout then rush when the enemy fraction is offline game and the Depot are more infight in the Kingdom then against the other one since they mostly spawn so close to one that they will loot it before you even have cross half the distance to it.

So here is a proposal to kill 2 birds one stone. Creating a roaming incentive and something that don't need to back up with the full forces and maybe create some more roaming PvP of singelpersons/small groups:

On a lot of other games their are "fix" point of interests you can fight for that give a small global buff. While this is a good system to ensure World PvP will happen around this points they have a design problem that make them unattractive for Wurm. If you would implement them as a few Fix/long-lasting points it will end similar to HotA before the patch were just one Kingdom will hold the points most of the time and going out to capture one will likely end in death and loose of equipment against the strongest Kingdom trowing you again behind.

So while this idea is nice approach for most games it is not suited for Wurm. But their is a fix for that. More points and non static locations. "But we already have this in HotA and it don't work!" you will think now but you are wrong. HotA have the problem to only give rewards that are tied to a direct victory no reason to hold the points beside of winning and first capture. On top their are way too less points, and they are to easy to spot.

What I have in mind is more like 50-100 small stones/structures that can appear anywhere in the map. And a decay time from around 1 to 2 weeks. (Randomness in QL difference will lead to a good distribution over time after an initial spawn were a lot will decay close to each other)

What do they do? Well you can capture them. Need around 1 min uninterrupted time (and maybe 21 FS so you can't use free chars to grab them) and don't give a death tap. Capture them don't have a direct reward, the reward is indirect. Every beacon has a random skill to it. Every Beacon your Kingdom have captured will unlock this skill. The bonus is like 1% for every beacon you own for every unlocked skill (since skills on the beacons are random if you got two of the same you get at lest the 1% because you increase the number of beacons you have, or we go for the same option then with jewels were with 2 you lose some efficiency compare to one but get overall more this is to discuss I guess)

What I want to archive with this:

Roaming around as a lone warrior need a higher reward for you and your kingdom. Even close to the enemy territory this is relative safe since they are nice to have but not to important bonus and fast decay increase the odds they are not to hard defended. On top their will maybe small groups that try to catch this lone wolfs.

This will hopefully lead to more lone Warriors meeting other lone Warriors or small scale PVP in the outer wilds. The Current PvP with big Raidpartys going on noob/singelperson hunts in enemy kingdoms and flee after resistance form or the short rushes for rewards with HotA is not bad but also favor a single strong Kingdom a lot. Or is unhealthy if huge chunks of population is in a single time zone since you can just attack in the less active hours.

On top the bonus skill gain counter the missing Path of Knowledge in later stages of the game compare to the PvE. (A Defiance only problem but most people on other PvP server feel the nesscesery to go for Path of Hate or Power anyway to compete so it is helpful their to I suppose)

For distribution I think about the Rite of Sun meteor distribution with a cap (I don't trust the animal spawn algorithm to be good weighted and not favor a single region to much) so you can reuse part of this code base. As notification, I would think something similar to bees where you get a massage if one is around but you can’t find them with pendulums just pure roaming and visuals.

Cons I see is that the strongest Kingdom will have most likely the biggest claim give them more skill gain and maybe increase their lead. But since the skills are random and a lot of these beacons will also spawn deep in enemy territory every kingdom should have no problem to claim around 10-15% on some random skills. And Skill gain is a factor that I would think is not to high compare to equip, numbers and moon metal access in my opinion.
Technical this system could also be implemented on PvE but then the decay rate should be much higher since there is no stealing from enemy Kingdoms there should be a constant need to roam to keep the buffs.

New Text:

I want to suggest that we create more points of interest in the world to reward exploration even close to enemy territories. Current PvP situation seams really unfavorable of a lone warrior roaming the lands since there is nothing to gain for the Kingdom but you can lose your equipment what need maybe work of multiple people to replace. So they are often called out to not go to fare out of the own Kingdom what is pretty sad in my opinion.

To support a play stile like this I would suggest bringing small shrines/beacons in the game. They can't be located other than directly being close to them and get an event massage (like bees). Capture need like 30-60s undisturbed time and don't give a death tap. Every shrine/beacon have a random skill associate with it that is unlocked for your Kingdom if claimed. For every shrine/beacon your kingdom have claimed (general not the specific skill) you get 1% bonus in all unlocked skills.

Shrines/beacons decay rather fast (QL dependent) in around 1-2 Weeks creating a constant need to go out and grab new ones. Because of their high decay rate they could maybe even be brought to PvE but there I would suggest a lower total number/faster decay, so they don't stack too much bonus. On PvP this should be fine since there is basically 3 populations that split it between them and that can steal from each other. A good start estimate would be around 150 on the entire World. This will probably end in around 15-25% faster skill rate in well random 15-25 skills that change from time to time. This increased skill gain also counter out the later missing of path of knowledge on PvP servers (you generally go a more PvP related path like insanity, hate or power).

I choose this indirect reward since a direct one like the Depo or HOtA will mostly be claimed by the strongest Kingdom or if given to easily inflate the suppose to be "rare" stuff.

Edited by Radircs
Rewrite and shorten the post

47 minutes ago, Postes said:

-1 Current system is fine. 

Nobody say we remove the current system for this. The whole idea is more desinged to be a constant low prio background thing while the current system is like temporary hight important areas. So ther is space for both don`t you think?

I hate to bump my own topics but I have edit it a bit to get the point way shorter across I hope and I would still like to get a bit more reaction to maybe finde some oversights/flaws in my idea.