Sign in to follow this  
Chailar

New player deed questions.

Hello
I have a few of questions. I started playing yesterday in the Cadence server. Can I just go ahead and start building anywhere that’s not taken?

What about deeds? Is it possible for a new (casual) player to be able to pay for it? 

If deeds are not an option. How safe is my stuff left in the wild. I understand people can’t destroy structures in PVE but can they just pick stuff left in the ground? 

I looked into player villages but unfortunately I only have about 2-3 hours to play and most seem to require certain commitment that I may not be able to fulfill.

The upfront cost of a deed (3 month upkeep+ small start fee) let it look more expensiv then it is. A Deed minimum size cost around 1 Silver/Month. You can start it everywere ther with enough space. (but you shuld chose a location that don't requiere a abbsurd amount of terraforming if your playtime is realy that limed.)

Withou a Deed ther is still the posibilety of a House. A House you own you can make rules similar to a deed and people can't get stuff out of it. Same for chests you have looked. You own them and you can set them in a way no one can access them without your permission no metter were they are placed.

And I would suggest you continiue looking for a village if you still have intersst in joining one and don't want to paly as a hermit. Its uncommen that people ask for a hight play time. Wurm is a slow game and it shuld not be a problem if you can't be extreamly activ. Just don't get mad on people who have more time and make more progress in this time. Focus one one thing you found enjoyable aninvest a part of your playtime in this skill so you can keep up with them and have the feeling you don't lie the others on the pocked (you never do, people enjoy having more people around them that are frindly, but we humans are quite strange in our selfview somtimes)

I do suggest investing in a deed if you can afford to. While off deed houses and containers can be locked to prevent people from taking your stuff, everything off of a deed will decay over time. As well, another person can come along and place a deed on top of all of your containers and prevent you from accessing them. They can't deed over your house, but they can put your house inside their perimeter which will prevent you from repairing the walls and eventually it will decay away.

1 hour ago, McGarnicle said:

I do suggest investing in a deed if you can afford to.

I'm not sure if I can afford anything, but it does seem that deed is the way to, thanks for the advice.

4 hours ago, Chailar said:

What about deeds? Is it possible for a new (casual) player to be able to pay for it? 

That depends on what you mean by "be able to pay for it." Can you pay for a deed just through your own hard work? Yes, but for a new player, the work we're talking about is going to be boring and not really satisfying - digging thousands of dirt or sand or clay, mining thousands of stone, cutting down hundreds of trees to make thousands of logs. All of these are productive, and can easily pay for your deed. 

If you mean, "Can I make a place as a blacksmith/carpenter and sell things," the answer is... probably not. People who have been playing since the Northern Isles originally launched (which is, what, 3+ months now?) have a significant edge on you, and they can make the same things you do - but worse, they make them higher quality and faster. If you try to sell (for example) a 25 QL Huge Axe and sell it, you'll find that other dedicated craftsmen are making 50 QL Huge Axes and undercutting your price. That doesn't mean that you'll never be able to be competitive in the Weaponsmithing market, just that you're going to have to work long and hard, with no real reward other than skill gains, before you're even in range of the competitive scene. For a newer player, you'd actually be better off joining a community deed, where your work can be rewarding and appreciated, and you'll get benefits back (as in food and trading for other categories of items you're not making) from that community... but you probably won't be earning Silver that way. 

Back to the idea of doing gruntwork for pay. As a new player, you'll have to spend an hour or more making a Large Cart for yourself. You'll want to put containers in it... but you can't put even Small Crates in your Cart, the best you can do are Rafts. If you're willing to spend a little, you can either build your cart, build your Crates, and get someone else to Load them for you... or you can spend a little more, buy a higher-QL cart that's already loaded with Large Crates (something you can't even make for quite a while). 

And then you have to consider the time investment. What is your time worth? Putting up 5s to start a modestly-sized deed is less than $7 USD. If you're earning minimum wage, that's a half-hour (or a bit more, depending on where you are) of work. Or making 5s through the gruntwork will probably take you 10 hours or more, depending on whether you travel to work on someone else's land to do the work (which, I might add, is far more likely to actually get your work paid for than doing all the work in your own area and having the buyers come pick it up). 

So what is your time worth? Are you willing to spend many hours doing grunt-work (and typically lots of one task, not a variety), or do you want to explore the skills yourself on your own terms? 

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 1

A settlement deed with at least a month's worth of upkeep kept prepaid sounds like it's a good choice for you, unless the $$$ cost of buying the silver to maintain that upkeep is really not an option for you due to iRL circumstances.

The reason I suggest a deed is that you mention you have limited time online to be able to engage in Wurm Online, and if you're building your homestead off-deed you'll need to very regularly spend time repairing the building and any fencing.  If on a deed with at least 30 days' upkeep stored up, you'll not have to repair any buildings/structures at all.

So it's a matter of your personal circumstances as a player to judge the trade off there of ease and enjoyment of gameplay vs having money to spend on the game (the cost isn't very much, but I won't presume to know your financial situation).

As a player, though, I have to say the benefits of a deed are pretty strong as they enable me to enjoy doing the aspects of Wurm Online that don't involve staying at the deed and repairing all the fences and buildings as regular maintenance.

Footnote: You can also try building your cottage to live out of for now in a spot where it'd be good to create a deed later, postponing that until you've had a chance to experience the game further and see if you'd enjoy it long-term.  Likewise, you don't really need to go premium until your skills start to reach the teens.  20 is the max skill level you can reach without ever going premium (and max for characteristics too, never having gone premium).  But when you do decide to try premium for your character, the first-time-premium-only option are an excellent deal.

Edited by Tristanc

The real life time worth comments make a lot of sense. I ended up getting one of the starter bundles and set up my deed. I think I’m set for the next 3 months or so.

Found a nice spot in cadence after walking the lake coastline for about an hour. It’s really out there, no highways or roads, so I imagine sailing will be a big factor in the future. So building a boat is my main goal after getting all the basics down. 
First goal: Getting some food.

Again thanks for all the advice!

• Like 4