Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

Was there a patch today?

Logged in to see I needed to update the game. Was there an update? Are there patch notes coming?

17 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Logged in to see I needed to update the game. Was there an update? Are there patch notes coming?

There was a maintenance restart this morning, but I have not heard of an update nor seen any patch notes. I did notice the launcher updating the data files, though. Weird.

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

monthly skin graphics were added

did it say this somewhere?

I haven't logged in to check, but I know the winter patch (done every ingame Winter to give the snow-covered winter view of the game) is due any day now.

You  might have experienced that patch.

hmm...in all the years ive played, i never noticed we needed to download the winter graphics each season

6 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

did it say this somewhere?

minor graphics patches dont get change notes

13 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

minor graphics patches dont get change notes

Shouldn’t they though?

• Like 1

The launcher bar only shows pack updates which are purely graphical. 

Today's maintenance was a restart, nothing more. Patches come with patch notes unless exploits are addressed. 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

The launcher bar only shows pack updates which are purely graphical. 

Today's maintenance was a restart, nothing more. Patches come with patch notes unless exploits are addressed. 

So if it was simply a server restart, and there was no update.... why did the launcher force us to download the graphics again?   That seems a waste of bandwidth for just about everyone involved.... 

I don't get it, what am I missing?

7 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

So if it was simply a server restart, and there was no update.... why did the launcher force us to download the graphics again?   That seems a waste of bandwidth for just about everyone involved.... 

I don't get it, what am I missing?

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

monthly skin graphics were added

you don't download the entire file again but it verifies everything inside every single time anything gets added

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

you don't download the entire file again but it verifies everything inside every single time anything gets added

Ah, I came in late and missed that.. Thanks OR!

We have come a long way since Friday updates just before hometime with a 50/50 chance of notes being included and only consisting of what could be remembered. 

Sometimes exploits are not mentioned in patch notes (for a reason) and other times changing A may affect B, the notes include the change to A but B wasn't checked.

It sucks when that happens for both sides, I take great pride in ensuring that notes are as clear and complete as possible. 

When you see the bar down the bottom of the client this is NOT an update to the game. 

The client updating shows a different window (the standard windows one) and the server updating doesn't show anything.

That bar down the bottom is the client checking the details of the graphics, pmk, and sound jar. 

This system is a little old, and the graphics jar has gotten quite large, so it's fairly slow at this point for older PC's

But how it works is 

The graphics jar creates a hash based on size and contents. 

Graphics jar checks hash against update server

If the hash matches it's fine

If the hash doesn't match, it checks each individual file hash against the update server and redownloads the ones that don't match

So with a slower hard drive or internet checking each file is slower, but it's not redownloading anything bar what doesn't match. 

We don't include notes for them because it's usually minor tweaks, but we do include art updates for major changes. 

• Like 5