Sign in to follow this  
Zera

New Player F.A.Q

I've been watching the CA Help channel a lot recently as I plug away at the various personal tasks around my Deed and have noticed a few common questions asked by new players.
I thought it may be ideal to compile a quick list with thorough answers for those who may have the same questions!

1. What server is best for newbies?
    There are no "Best Servers" for newbies. Each server offers it's own community, all of which are typically incredibly friendly and helpful towards new players.
    Whether you choose a Northern Cluster or a Southern Cluster map makes no difference in your overall gameplay.
    The Northern Servers however are newer than the Southern Clusters, but do not assume that because of this there will be more land available on the Northern Maps.
  2. Do Crops die in Winter?
    No, Winter is mostly a cosmetic feature.
    Snowballs may be collected and placed into a Larder to help keep cooked/prepared food longer than if put into any other form of container.
    Bees are the otherwise only affected mechanic in Wurm. Wild Bees will die in the Winter and Domestic Hives go dormant.
  3. How do I collect Snow?
    Collecting Snow can only be done during Winter and you will need to wait a full Real Day before this is a possibility.
    You can collect snowballs with your hand or a shovel, keep in mind that snowballs decay very quickly in your inventory!
  4. Do I feed my X animal?
    Horses/Hell Horses, Sheep, Cows and Bison will all graze on grass and steppe tiles without needing to actively feed them yourself.
    Dogs, Chickens and Pigs however will require you to either Hand Feed them, leave a pile of appropriate food out or hitch them to a trough with a feeding trough to stay fed.
    Chickens can also be kept in a Chicken Coop so long as there is Water and Edible seeds inside.
  5. Can animals graze on Tree/Bush tiles?
    While there is a grass visual on these tiles, they are still Trees and Bushes. Animals can't eat Trees or Bushes.
    Animals can however graze on Grass, Flower and Steppe tiles.
  6. Where can I build?
    The beautiful thing about Wurm is that the entire world editable! You can terraform everything you see and build anywhere. Even raise your own island!
    Before you can start building though you will need to make sure your chosen location is not already claimed by another player or settlement. You can do this by examining the tile beneath you.

[11:23:35] This is within the village of... states that the land is already claimed by someone else and you cannot build there without being a member or having specific permissions.
    [11:26:01] This is within the perimeter of... - states that this is the border of a land claim, this may be terraformed and altered but it's considered impolite without first speaking to the owner of the Village it belongs to.
    If you see neither of these messages, the land is considered Wild and is available for building and claim by anyone.
  7. How do I claim land?
    Everyone starts with a "Deed Stake" in their inventory, this is to help you on claiming your own land. it is not a free claim. 
    You will need an area of at-least 16x16 available around the area of which you wish to claim your village, this includes your village land and it's surrounding 5 tile perimeter.
    To claim land you will need a minimum of 4 silver 21 copper (or so).
  8. Do I need to claim land to build?
    No, you can build anywhere there isn't already a Village/Deed in place.
    Keep in mind though that if a Deed/Village is placed nearby and your house falls within it's perimeter you will no longer be able to repair it.
    You house cannot be claimed by someone else though, so you will have plenty of time to gather your things and relocate to another location without fear of being unable to access your storages and items.
  9. How do I join a Village?
    You cannot join any of the starting villages, these are simply to help new characters spawn in and perform a few initial tasks before setting out into the world.
    If you're looking for an existing village to join the best place to start is by asking in your server's "Freedom" chat channel.
  10. How do I earn money?
    In-Game coin can be earned by selling items or labor to other players.
    You can also find coin by doing various tasks in-game such as Foraging tiles, Hunting and Burying corpses and Praying to your Deity.
    You can also sell items and corpses to any Deed Token or NPC. However this is reliant on Deed Upkeep and can drain quickly if a lot of people are using this method to make coin.
    You can also purchase in-game coin via the online shop. For Steam Clients this is done by pressing O and selecting SHOP at the top of your screen. For stand-alone clients this is done here: Wurm Shop
  11. Can I login on with Steam with a Character I created on the website?
    No, Website characters are linked to a Password.
    Steam Characters are linked to your Steam ID.
  12. Can I travel to other servers?
    Yes, with limitations.
    If you are on the Northern Cluster you cannot sail to the Southern Cluster and/or visa versa.
    You will need to make certain you select the right cluster you wish to join when you choose to leave the tutorial server.
    To reach another server within your cluster you can use a Boat to sail across server borders.

Some helpful Links:

1. Your First Days in Wurm
Edited by Zera
  • Like 5

You might want to edit:

Dogs, Sheep and Pigs however will require you to either Hand Feed them, leave a pile of appropriate food out or hitch them to a trough with a feeding trough to stay fed.

to read:

Dogs, Chickens and Pigs however will require you to either hand feed them, or to leave a pile of appropriate food out.

Sheep graze.

3 minutes ago, Tristanc said:

You might want to edit:

to read:

Dogs, Chickens and Pigs however will require you to either hand feed them, or to leave a pile of appropriate food out.

Sheep graze.

Thanks, that's what I get for trying to quickly get my fences done at the same time as writing this. Haha!