Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Transfer between clusters... kinda (clickbait!)

Yeah, it is a clickbait, but you can't say that you were not warned. :P

I made some time back a suggestion to allow transfers from NFI to SFI for those people that discovered that NFI is not for them, and while I still think that was a good idea, there were a few very vocal people against it who didn't (want to) understand that people may want to change their mind, especially if they made a decision only after some vague lines in the tutorial section.

Anyway, here I am, with a different approach, a very non intrusive one (albeit a bit too non intrusive so it may end up not applying to many people) that shouldn't affect in any way the balance on either of the clusters: what about offer the people the option to take a portal back to the tutorial section (obviously having all progress completely reset in the process - skills, inventory, bank, titles, achievements, etc). Basically it will be like they just created the character, except premium time, marks and perks purchased with marks. Then they could choose to transfer to the other cluster (and if they change their mind again, they could once again use the portal, transfer back to the tutorial section and from their back to their original cluster).

Why would someone doo that and lose all their progress (skills, inventory, coins, etc) in the process? Well, for a couple of potential reasons. For once they may be attached of their character name (it may be the character name they used in games since years); another reason might be that they already purchased premium time and the wouldn't want to pay for it again to start over on the other cluster.

By the nature of process (loosing all their progress) it's definitely something that would suit everyone (I don't see someone that invested years in developing a character giving up on all that work), but it might really suit the new players that just tried one cluster and realized it is not for them.

And, honestly, I can't see any cons about it. Maybe one - the risk of someone hacking your account and using the portal to rip you of your skills, but I think that should be a really rare occurrence and a case where GMs could step in and take action (and it's not like if someone would hack your account he couldn't cause enough harm already - leave meditation path, unpriest, chain-suicide to lower your 99+ skills, etc). So I really don't think that's something we should focus on.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 5

I see nothing bad in having a 1 time move if you want to.. with major reason being keeping the name you use.

Unsure how much players on new cluster have ab/used the sb bug where it was lasting longer than it was supposed to .. or the many Ros/etc casts.. but in the old cluster plenty have 90/+ skills, maybe for way higher skilled players on some skills have a reduced rate.. (doubt that's even going to be a thing), probably there's no issue to allow such transfers, new cluster is the clickbait.. with new lands.. and 2-4-10x higher pricing for basic enchants and tools.

As for items.. whatever somebody brings from nfi to sfi.. it's worth is in times lower usually, irrelevant if you bring something or not. (ofc put this through staff verification to prevent some kind of abuse)

sure +1 to move ppl wanting to go to sfi(***** hate the naming of clusters, don't judge me)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tor said:

-1 Hard pass

May I please inquire how would this negatively impact you since is not something enforced on anyone, but just an option?

So in a nutshell:

People can go from south to north HOWEVER:

1. They lose their skills.

2. They lose their inventories

But:

1. They keep their name.

2. They keep their premium.

3. They keep their silver.

+1 from me.

But please format your post a little better.

39 minutes ago, Bloodreina said:

May I please inquire how would this negatively impact you since is not something enforced on anyone, but just an option?

Because, i would rather see a proper server connection, name change or character deletion. Not some feeling of the moment change that only would satsfiy your very wishes right in this moment

16 minutes ago, GroeneAppel said:

So in a nutshell:

People can go from south to north HOWEVER:

But:

1. They keep their name.

3. They keep their silver.

+1 from me.

But please format your post a little better.

People can go from south to north or from north to south HOWEVER:

3. They lose their silver.

But:

1. They keep their name.

3. They keep their marks.

So you could move all your gold from south to north?

No really bad idea imo. -1

If its not about the sneaky transfer of gold between clusters then i have to ask, why not just reroll, since everything is being reset

12 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

So you could move all your gold from south to north?

No really bad idea imo. -1

If its not about the sneaky transfer of gold between clusters then i have to ask, why not just reroll, since everything is being reset

Have you at least bother reading my previous message?

Silver wouldn't transfer, neither items or skills.

Just name, premium time and (eventually) marks, so the things for which they paid with RL$, nothing (potentially) earned in game over the years. Basically a hard reset to "factory default".

Edited by Bloodreina

Maybe make a new suggestion for character reset

7 minutes ago, Tor said:

Maybe make a new suggestion for character reset

That's what I considered I did (but maybe word it wrong) - since the character would be stripped down of any progress (skills, items, money, titles, etc) and put back in the tutorial area I thought that's exactly what a character reset means... anyway, tried to reword a bit the OP to make it more obvious.

Edited by Bloodreina

And what happens to any Deeds or Citizenship that these "reset" characters have?
And why the removal of in-game coin? What if I also paid for that? Am I screwed in having that deleted from me because I choose to "reset" onto the other cluster?

Edited by Zera

1 hour ago, Bloodreina said:

Have you at least bother reading my previous message?

Silver wouldn't transfer, neither items or skills.

Just name, premium time and (eventually) marks, so the things for which they paid with RL$, nothing (potentially) earned in game over the years. Basically a hard reset to "factory default".

you posted the same time as me so your post wasnt there when i posted.

real life money is spent on silver also btw.

54 minutes ago, Zera said:

And what happens to any Deeds or Citizenship that these "reset" characters have?
And why the removal of in-game coin? What if I also paid for that? Am I screwed in having that deleted from me because I choose to "reset" onto the other cluster?

Since characters would basically be deleted from the old cluster and recreated on the tutorial server, I guess what would happen would be the same thing that happens with deeds or citizenship of free (never been premium) characters that are deleted due to inactivity.

---

Silver (as well as items) could be transferred to a remaining alt/friend prior to the reset, so they wouldn't be lost. And the reason why I suggested silver not being transferred over is because people from the old cluster might have hoarded tons of gold coins over the years so transferring all those money (eventually not even sacrificing a main, but transferring an alt) could mess up the more fragile NFI market.

The idea is meant to give an option to a (new) player that realized (s)he picked the wrong cluster to fix their mistake and start over on the other cluster while maintaining their name and premium status. It's not meant to allow actual transfer of characters, items or currency of any kind between the two clusters.

As said before, it's not intended as a catch all solution to fit everyone, but it could fit some people, absolutely without any adverse effect on the other players. It would be basically just like they would abandon their old character and create a new one on the other server, except that they wouldn't have to lose the name or premium status.

Edited by Bloodreina

Or if you wanted to transfer money...  In theory...

1.  Go to epic with your rich new cluster toon

2.  Hand to your poor old cluster alt who has also gone to epic

3.  Enjoy

So there is already a way to move money between clusters using epic as a proxy (assuming, of course, you can make epic portals on the new cluster).

If this is the case money transferring over wouldn't do any harm at all.

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

hate the naming of clusters, don't judge me)

Well, in my old workplace "NFI" was an indication that someone had no idea.  An unfortunate association.  🤔

+1
I Have a new username nowadays, I came back and made a Steam character with it on the old cluster. Only to shortly realize the only Wurm friends I have left are all playing the NEW cluster. So I'm sorta SOL if I wanted to use that name now.

I would also accept a way to quickly delete my own character/account, allowing me to start over entirely.

5 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Or if you wanted to transfer money...  In theory...

1.  Go to epic with your rich new cluster toon

2.  Hand to your poor old cluster alt who has also gone to epic

3.  Enjoy

So there is already a way to move money between clusters using epic as a proxy (assuming, of course, you can make epic portals on the new cluster).

If this is the case money transferring over wouldn't do any harm at all.

cant go to epic from the NFI

Now you could do that when release was launched, reason why it was no problem when release was merged with the rest of the southern servers.