Sign in to follow this  
MistressoPortals

Tie music to environmental activity

I love the Wurm music. There's a particular part of the soundtrack that's pretty ominous. Every time I hear it my senses go on alert and I start looking for trouble in the area, even though I know it's not there.

But this got me thinking that it would be really helpful to players if the soundtrack WAS tied to the activity in the environment. For example, if a big baddie enters within 10 tiles of you, that ominous music starts to play to alert you - just as your senses would work in your normal environment to clue you in on things outside of your vision and hearing.

Something that could be done is as your nature skill increases, the radius of alert increases. 

When there's nothing in the area, it plays a more happy, upbeat tune. Just a thought.

• Like 3

hmm.  A good notion.  Unfortunately, I disable the music in almost all games I play (a legacy of too many hours of Elite:Frontier playing "I Dovregubbens hall" on a loop). So I would miss it.

I played the first version of "Alone in the Dark" and despite graphics that have not aged well, the atmosphere of that game is I think still unequalled.  Part of it was choice of camera angles, but a big part was also the soundtrack.  Not sound effects as such, and not merely background music, but a sound track.  It is the only game that has ever had me running my character mindlessly room to room desperately looking for somewhere to hide when I didn't even know what was after me.  

Might be kinda cool actually but not sure how that might work in Wurm since we don't have "danger zones" per se.

And I couldn't help but flash back to this vid.  lol.