Sign in to follow this  
Histaty

Best way to raise hens?

A lot of different view points with raising hens. I’m on steam Harmony server.

What is the proper way to raise them to produce the most? 

high ql &/or MORE chicken coops to optimize the egg count you can get daily, besides that.. just take all eggs from the coops and drop them in piles on the ground, wait for the RNG to hatch them at 100% damage for your 'luck'.

once you get your hens, same thing leave them in pens with food laying on the ground in a pile. *Coops freeze hen's aging process*

look around for tips.. how to cause more damage on them.. to hatch them faster if possible, also get some time frame expectation based on tile or w/e methods involved.

(personally never been interested about hens.. they just convert crops to eggs at silly high rate and eggs have little to no use to be a 'goal' to farm)

Don't waste time with coops.  Hens lay top quality eggs on the ground.  Put them in coops and the eggs are adjusted to the quality of the coop.  Coops are a waste imho.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

Don't waste time with coops.  Hens lay top quality eggs on the ground.  Put them in coops and the eggs are adjusted to the quality of the coop.  Coops are a waste imho.

coops = 'crack' for hens.. if I'm not wrong.. it speeds up the rate at which they eat and produce eggs

ql is irrelevant when it comes to optimizing the number of eggs you can get to get more hens(unless OP by "raising hens" means - producing more eggs / or higher ql eggs in bulk)

from my experience, when i tried hatching hens/roosters to have a stock for missions, its absolute waste of time. Coops speed up egg production insanely compared to free-range egg laying. However, for an egg to have a chance to hatch it must be a "fertile egg", all non-fertile eggs will hatch nothing when decay to 100.  so lets say you happened to gather a bunch of fertile eggs (usually about 10% of the eggs you will get are fertile). dont put them into fsb as that will change their fertile status to non-fertile. 

also, worth to mention, that out of 100 fertile egg pile i left to decay in a fenced 1x1 pen (so the new-born chicks wont escape) i got a whooping 0 (ZERO) chicks... at that point i gave up. i knew its not 100% chance, but didnt expect it to be "no chance"..

anyways, GL to you, hope you will get 1 or 2 lol

Thanks for the responses, now I have an idea on how to get quality/quantity eggs.

How about feeding them? with a coop and with out a coop? 

my fine carp is now at 35, I was going to create 100 fishing rods and imp them till I hit 50. At that point I can build a coop (and other stuff) 

feeding them without a coop is easier since they will eat less often, and you can just put them in a fenced off area with 100 seeds per tile or so and let them be for a while
however, they produce eggs less often and at random qualities (though often high quality)

with a coop, each chicken will eat 1 food item roughly every 4 hours (so 6 times per day) PER chicken as well as .25kg of water per chicken each time (so 1.25kg of water daily)
it'll produce an egg every 3 times it feeds at exactly the quality of the coop. all eggs will be fertile if theres at least one rooster in the coop

coops hold 1 chicken per 10ql, 

in the end: consider how many eggs you truly need, and how much resources you produce to feed the chickens. a 50ql coop with 5 chickens needs to be refilled with food every 3 days or so, and with water roughly every 2 weeks, while producing about 10 eggs each day

On the flip side, outside of a coop those chickens might produce maybe 1-2 eggs each day, but a single stack of 100 potatoes will keep them fed until the potatoes decay

also: coops will unload all chickens inside of them if the server restarts, fairly... annoying bit of information i found out myself

Edited by RainRain

Had chicken in coop for awhile now and they have never been unloaded after server restart, they do unload if theres lack of water or food.

I had two chickens (roosters) from foraged eggs. I fed them by grass in a pen. As a rumour I heard, mixed grass is not working in a coop, is that true?

afaik roosters are USELESS in(wurm) or out of a coop, never heard of anyone putting a rooster in a coop

afaik only grains can be used in coops

can be wrong

Spoiler

as mentioned.. I am not farming eggs for ql or qty(useless and hens eat too much to bother having such pets around, TOO MUCH MAINTENANCE with 100x grains limit and 45kg water supply, also grains in coops decay)

My chickens are doing well on Harmony and though the hatching from a fertile egg % is low, I've managed to grow enough so they've filled 2 1/2 1x2 pens now from an original single chicken and one I found running wild.

I don't use coops. Ever.

The key for getting them to lay eggs is to put out a lot of food for them (I do 2 chickens per 1x2 pen, and try to keep 18 mixed grass cuttings in each pen).  The mixed grass cuttings are easy to get with a sickle and don't need to wait till a farm crop grows.  Just be warned that you need generally QL >12 cuttings as chickens (or pigs, or anything else) will eat 100 QL 1.0 cuttings in a day.  Yes, QL of the food is key for how long it lasts in the pile.

Every day I connect I collect the eggs. Infertile go into an FSB for cooking, fertiles get set in a seperate pen where my single rooster is exiled (so as not to have any new eggs laid there that would mix with the fertile eggs).

One big advantage of not using coops is that all the eggs will be QL 99.  Coops eggs QL is maxed at the QL of the coop.

I hope this helps offer you success in your hopes for chickens.  Remember, the key to egg-laying is keeping them well-fed with piles of food.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1