Brian

Wurm Map Generator FX

Hello Brian,

i encountered a problem with the 1024 map. as you can see on the picture it doesnt fill the map-view-display. i dont know why that is!

ombcg24v.png

Edited by Zaidonia
i forgot the picture

On 2/28/2021 at 12:31 PM, LightningRoc said:

Im placing biomes and trees and such but they dont seem to be appearing.  ANy idea why this might be?

Do you mean they're not appearing on the biome map, or in the world once the server starts up?

On 3/1/2021 at 2:48 AM, Zaidonia said:

Hello Brian,

i encountered a problem with the 1024 map. as you can see on the picture it doesnt fill the map-view-display. i dont know why that is!

I can't see the picture, but if you have a reasonably high-resolution monitor, a 1024 map won't fill up the entire screen if you have it maximized. The view only uses one pixel per tile for display, so for example my display has a height of 1440; only 1024 pixels of that would be taken up by the map, the rest (other than buttons, etc) would be empty space.

Is it possible to actually generate biomes above 4000? I notice it is (finally) possible to generate mountains above that height but I cannot seem to get snow to generate or manually place at altitudes above ~4200

Figured it out

Edited by Sperg

On 4/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, Sperg said:

Figured it out

Cool, sorry I've been away but glad you got it figured out.

I seem to not get notifications as expected on this thread. If anyone needs assistance with this map editor, you can send an email to Brian@BSuttonDC.us

On 4/6/2021 at 12:08 AM, spacegeek said:

Is it possible to actually generate biomes above 4000? I notice it is (finally) possible to generate mountains above that height but I cannot seem to get snow to generate or manually place at altitudes above ~4200

Sorry, I just now saw this.

I know of no reason why this shouldn't be possible. I'd double-check the biome settings/cutoff. If you are still having the problem, email me at Brian@BSuttonDC.us.

I don't see a download link for this. Just the documentation and installation instructions.

8 minutes ago, Reddtoo said:

I don't see a download link for this. Just the documentation and installation instructions.

I had trouble with this, too.  If you go here:

http://bsuttondc.us/apps/wMapGen/docs/about/install.html

it looks like it can be done if you also install the Java Launcher, here:

http://bsuttondc.us/apps/launcher/docs/install/installation.html

I didn't want to install the launcher, and I couldn't figure out how to get this map generator without it. Not saying there isn't a way, just that it got too confusing for me so I quickly gave up.

Ah, hoop jumping. We all love to jump through hoops. 😉

Thanks again Batta. I might give this a shot. Not saying I'll follow through with all of it. Ima kind of a lazy one.

You're using java and this is Windows only. Shame. I am on Linux, and having this as a self-executing jar file would be wonderful as it seems all other map generators are now out of date. I may have to make my own or find another game.

12 hours ago, Victor said:

You're using java and this is Windows only. Shame. I am on Linux, and having this as a self-executing jar file would be wonderful as it seems all other map generators are now out of date. I may have to make my own or find another game.

Lots of us are still regularly making maps using the existing map generators, so they are definitely not all out of date.  Sometimes you have to go to the last page, or close to the last page, to see if there is an updated version with a new link. But this is the same for most of the mods, so nothing new with that.

Edited by Batta

I might be able to compile it for Linux. My focus was on Windows, since that seems to be what everyone was using. From past experience, I couldn't get past the Mac issues, but I've had success with Linux in the past. 

I'll look into it.

I have an experimental launcher for Linux accessible at: https://bsuttondc.us/apps/launcher/docs/install/installation.html (you may need to refresh the page).

I don't have a Linux machine, so it's anybody's guess if it will work. Theoretically, when you run it (if it runs) it should update the installer first, then you can go to https://bsuttondc.us/apps/wMapGen/docs/about/install.html to configure the map generator.

Please let me know if it works for you; email me at Brian@BSuttonDC.us if there are issues for us to work through.

Far from a legit issue,

But I noticed when I try to Generate Hight Map on 1638, it goes through the motions and then nothing happens lol.

I see my CPU working at about 35% for about a minute or two and then drops off but there is nothing in the viewer.
I tried hitting drop dirt just to see what would happen, after like 5 minutes CPU at 40-50%, nothing happened, lol.

I mean not that i need a map that big, but it appears to be either a bug or something wrong with my pc xD

On 5/1/2022 at 1:57 PM, Yaz said:

Far from a legit issue,

But I noticed when I try to Generate Hight Map on 1638, it goes through the motions and then nothing happens lol.

I see my CPU working at about 35% for about a minute or two and then drops off but there is nothing in the viewer.
I tried hitting drop dirt just to see what would happen, after like 5 minutes CPU at 40-50%, nothing happened, lol.

I mean not that i need a map that big, but it appears to be either a bug or something wrong with my pc xD

I'm seeing it as well, so it's not your PC.
It's some kind of bug. I don't think I had tested that size; I know there were issues with the 8192 size that I dealt with, looks like I'll need to see if there's something I need to do with the 16k as well. Or just remove it if I can't get it to work properly.

Thanks for noticing. :)

How can I convert a map_actions.act file to the new XML format

Edited by HatTrickPatrick

@BrianFor whatever reason, if I stop working on a map and intend to go back to work on it later, trying to paint biomes gives me this message

Error

Cannot add biome until dirt has been dropped.

But dirt has been dropped, I've literally been painting biomes for hours and if I drop dirt again it's going to erase them all. How do I fix this?

On 10/8/2022 at 11:10 AM, HatTrickPatrick said:

@BrianFor whatever reason, if I stop working on a map and intend to go back to work on it later, trying to paint biomes gives me this message

Error

Cannot add biome until dirt has been dropped.

But dirt has been dropped, I've literally been painting biomes for hours and if I drop dirt again it's going to erase them all. How do I fix this?

Do you mean that you stop working on it, close the program, and try to pick up where you left off?

Do you see the word "PREVIOUS" in the upper left-hand corner of your maps? If so, you're looking at the image you created last time. You will need to have saved the actions you took to create the maps in order to read everything back into memory, then load those actions when you open the project. If a height map exists, it will be loaded when you open a project, but all the other features must be loaded after the project is opened.

I generally save each major group of topological features in a separate actions file, so that I can go back and change them without disturbing the others. For example, I might have these action files:

dirt.xml

beaches.xml

trees.xml

resources.xml

...etc...

After I open the project, I would then load all those action files, if I want it the way I had last saved them. Be aware that changing the order may cause some differences, since some biome types may overwrite others. For example, clay will overwrite sand.

I suppose you could create everything and then save all the actions in one file, but that makes it difficult to make small changes later.

This program is not compatible with the old actions format.

I should probably go back and update the documentation to clarify a few things, as people encounter issues.

I have just downloaded this and it opens up fine, I click on it to generate height map I get the black and white image which is fine. Then when I have it on terrain at the bottom and height map at the side I do not see anything.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  I do apologise I had forgotten to press the drop dirt button that is completely my bad.

Edited by Sirmayhem

This tool is very useful

I have generated a map and replaced the default map with it. Strangely, when i play in the new map, there is not a lot of ressources on grass or on rock (with actions rummage or forage)

Anyone have an idea of why?

19 hours ago, Bobsponge said:

This tool is very useful

I have generated a map and replaced the default map with it. Strangely, when i play in the new map, there is not a lot of ressources on grass or on rock (with actions rummage or forage)

Anyone have an idea of why?

This is normal with a new map. It takes several days - really a week or two - before foraging builds up to normal rates.  I usually run a new map for a week or longer before opening to players, for that reason.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:13 AM, Batta said:

This is normal with a new map. It takes several days - really a week or two - before foraging builds up to normal rates.  I usually run a new map for a week or longer before opening to players, for that reason.

There is a setting in the wurm.ini file of your map called CREATESEEDS that will entirely populate the map with those resources on next server start when you set it to true. (Remember to set it back to false after)