Brian

Wurm Map Generator FX

I have created another map generator, building on the work of Budda and Eitr, this time writing it in Java FX. 

I've added a few new features and fixed a number of bugs (probably added a few as well).

New features: 

- Ability to randomly seed specific regions that you define.

- Changed actions files to XML format to make it easier to make changes directly.

- A little more streamlined interface.

- A few other minor things.

Fixes:

- Fixed the problem where maps weren't completely saved until you exited the program.

- Fixed flower seeding.

- Fixed biome UNDO that didn't always remove the last biome completely.

- Fixed the biome growth directions.

- Probably a few others.

You can see the documentation and installation instructions at: https://bsuttondc.us/apps/wMapGen/docs/index.html

The installation uses a Java Launcher application (that I also wrote) that keeps the program updated to the latest version. 

Note: You do not need to have Java installed on your computer to run this. It has its own trimmed down Java code embedded.

screenshot.png

Edited by Brian
More info.
  • Like 6

is it feasible to fix the flat mountain tops effect? or did you fix that?

37 minutes ago, Griffith said:

is it feasible to fix the flat mountain tops effect? or did you fix that?

My experience has been that the Normalize Ratio, if it's too high, will cause that.

• Like 1

With an 8k map checking the zoom box does nothing other than adding scroll bars. The map still displays the same size as it did before checking the zoom box. 

Using the Region Tool. When ever I change a number in a field and go to another field the old number pops back in. Can't change any of the fields. Also, how does one stop a region from displaying so no regions are displayed. 

On 10/18/2020 at 10:13 AM, Hanel said:

Using the Region Tool. When ever I change a number in a field and go to another field the old number pops back in. Can't change any of the fields. Also, how does one stop a region from displaying so no regions are displayed. 

The numbers will reset if you try to select something out of bounds.

To make the region display go away, select "Normal" or "Paint" on the biome tab.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:58 AM, Hanel said:

With an 8k map checking the zoom box does nothing other than adding scroll bars. The map still displays the same size as it did before checking the zoom box. 

I'll look at the 8k map issue. Thanks for noticing.  :)

It looks like that zoom issue is due to a known bug in JavaFX. I've tried a suggested workaround, but it doesn't work here.

I'll try to figure out a solution, but for now avoid selecting the Zoom option for large maps. I'll probably disable it for those cases until I figure out something else.

There is also an issue with the Region settings for 8k maps, that I'm looking at as well.

I've fixed the Region issue and disabled zoom for 8k+ maps. You should get the update next time you launch.

The best you'll be able to do at the moment for zoom is to re-size the app. If you have a huge monitor resolution and you try to re-size it past a 4k size, it'll probably mess up again until I figure out a better fix.

I've re-enabled the zoom function, but the displayed map is limited to 4096 x 4096. This means that each pixel displayed in the zoomed view represents 4 tiles on the map. It should be much better than not zooming at all.

by some reason cant get it with Java Launcher, any other way to get program? 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:35 PM, Gofs said:

by some reason cant get it with Java Launcher, any other way to get program? 

It's possible, but it would probably be simpler to track down the Java Launcher issue. What are you seeing?

Thank you so much for this great map generator and detailed documentation!

• Like 1

This is fantastic! If you're still keen to work on this, I have a few suggestions I have wanted in these map gen tools for a while - a way to save images of each biome separately [useful for checking where in the world your trees are distributed], a toggle for biome override [so new tree seeding won't overwrite existing trees, or so tiles won't overwrite resources - say when you're hand-painting a coastline or steppe / tundra near resource tiles so you don't remove the resource]

Also this tool seems to have lost functionality from Eitr's tool, which saves biome settings. Every time I use any other features, my presets are back to default values! (IE; paint tool, undo biome, reset biome) This is particularly annoying and probably my biggest issue with the tool.

Also this one's a nitpick but when pressing tab to go to the next value entry box from Maximum Slope, the selection focuses around the other UI elements before moving down to the Around Water / Height element. This is terrible for my streamlining, especially with the bug mentioned above since I have to enter my values all over again every time I want to add a different biome! :(

Edited by Coconutsales

Hi, thanks for your comments.

I had set up the Actions so that they now save with the seed used to generate them. This allows you to regenerate them pretty much identical to the original. Possibly, this could be used to generate an image of that biome fragment in the way you mention, or prior to saving the image as a discrete file. I would have to give a little thought to it.

The 'overwrite biome component' is baked into the base code from the original work done by Budda. I'm reluctant to jump into that, seems like a lot of work and risk of creating new bugs. But the way I've been dealing with it is to organize my actions so that the wrong things don't get overwritten. I may be wrong about this, but I don't think trees will overwrite existing trees; I'd be interested in hearing if that assumption is wrong. 

I had meant to eventually save biome settings, it just somehow got lost in my rush to get something finally packaged. This should be easier than what was mentioned above, I'll take a look at it in the near future, as well as the focus issue you mentioned.

• Like 1

I've just released a new version that: 

• Fixes the focus order of the fields on the Biomes tab.
  • Allows exporting and importing biome defaults, as well as saving any changes you made when populating biomes to your project.

You will get the update the next time you launch.

One request so far.
A confirmation box would be greatly appreciated when the Reset All is pressed in the biomes tab. Or make the Undo Last put them all back. Or both 🙂

:) I'll look into that. Probably the confirmation box.
In the meantime if it happens again, you can go to the Actions tab and click the Save Actions button. Then with a simple text editor (like NotePad, not WordPad or anything fancy) remove all the actions from that saved file except for the ones you want to repeat. Then load that actions file.

Don't delete the first two lines or the last line of that file, but all the specific actions you don't want, i.e. <dirt>....</dirt>, <biome>...</biome>, etc.

• Like 1

Im placing biomes and trees and such but they dont seem to be appearing.  ANy idea why this might be?