Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Rare role on imping = rare

Simple idea and maybe there is a really important reason that this would not work, but why not just have a rare roll on imping turn the item into a rare, rather than just a chance it might go rare?  Simply adjust the chance of a rare roll so they happen less often on imping and make every roll count.  It would be far less disappointing for us.

• Like 1

the way rare rolls works is pretty silly, higher skills have a lower chance to have the rare roll succeed than lower skills, queueing repairs and actions or using a g-series to fill your queue completely demolishes chance for it to actually work, could do with a rewrite

• Like 4

I've noticed I get far fewer rares as time goes on. Call me crazy but it seems to me higher skills should give more chances not less.

• Like 1

So to play the game the way devs intended, we need to make more alts.  Check.

Edit: I really just want to play the game and not have to game the play.  Seems when we have unusual coding mechanics that make us play in ways that are not intuitively natural, it just detracts from the immersion of the game.  Such as lowering our tool QL so we can gain skill, when using higher Q tools provides no skill, because we did our job and "got good".  Sure, 99% of the player base has had 10+ years to learn this bizare gaming technique, but as I've said in the past, this is not a great system to introduce new players to.

I know WU had some code changes to address the skilling system, but nothing changed here.  Can't change it here, because all the existing accounts had to use the old system.  But honestly, so what?  All the other game companies evolve (well most do) and change their mechanics as needed.  One can hope.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 2

I always asked for a "rarity gauge" to be filled while doing action and being able to turn the item you want into a rare / supreme / fantastic with different tolls on that 'rarity gauge', while the random rare on creating can be fun (and exploited then nerfed), the imping is a huge mess and usually a waste of time (when it should be the true way to get rare+... read the description of fantastic and wonder how the hell that sprout is perfectly crafted?!).

• Like 3

A million times yes. The rare system is so stupid it needs to be tweaked. I've had 10 rare rolls on imping items in a day and not a single item went rare, but then you have an account with little to no skill popping off rares on creation sometimes once an hour.

• Like 1

Pretty annoying having tens of moi on 1 item that never turns rare

I just imp 100x of same if i want rare ( ye it sucks big time but i get rare ).

Imping at high ql (depending on skill lvl) for rares not really worth it, you fail more and if rare roll comes up it's wasted...

Edited by Martynas5

i can play my main toon for days, sometimes weeks to get a single MOI on it, but when you grab an alt priest to do some silly stuff it gets MOI left and right. Always felt broken, but i thought that was just me lol. 

Would make them way too common. They're meant to be rare. Everyone is improving items, if it was 100% chance everyone would have a full set of rare gear + within a week or 2.

-1 artificially and greatly increases the amount of rares in the game

i'd rather MoI just not show up if the item isn't going to turn rare instead, despite rolling it in the background

• Like 1

If you read my original post, my suggestion actually is to keep the rare chance the same and only get the MOI when it is actually going to go rare.  No more MOIs with no rares.  I really don't want a lot of rares.  Way too common now.  Just adjust the MOI chance to = the actual rare chance, so we don't get any more empty MOIs.

• Like 2

so you're only bothered by the rainbow animation effect on the screen when you 'fail' to get anything from it

Slot machine design 101:

Near misses generate addiction as effectively as actual wins.  The rube conflates achieving a win with actually obtaining it.

The case of rare "near misses", though, may fall into the overuse category ("another loss role" Vs "I might win this time").  A guaranteed rare on a roll would make the event much rarer, and possibly lose some of the desired effect above.

• Like 1

I meant to have a bit of a comment there, too.

I understand the desire to not have the drumroll/swirl moment frequency reduced, but whether the mechanic is adjusted to only show the Moment when you actually get a rare, or whether it is adjusted to always give you something even when you don't get a rare, the MoI should NOT be a disappointing thing.

• Like 3

On 10/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, Wurmhole said:

lowering our tool QL so we can gain skill, when using higher Q tools provides no skill,

Because I don't grind, I don't go looking for min-max mechanics, but when I first came across this one I was kind of stunned.  It makes producing half-way decent objects a bit of a catch-22 lockout early on.  If you use good tools you could make good stuff if it weren't for your low skill.  To improve your skill in order to make good stuff, you have to use crap tools, which results in still making crap stuff.  I could never get my head around all the "70 skill in a couple of days" talk because I was unaware of this basic fact; that unless you meta-game in some fashion to grind your skills, even your grinding will not appreciably build them.  Fortunately for me, I don't much care about skills.

Little did I know that the tools I was making weren't rubbish at all; they were "skillers".  😄

Rares a bit the same for me.  I don't meta-game enough to dig into what benefits go with the rare version of a particular object - except that for horseshoes and boats they add up to extra speed, oh and toolbelts get an extra pocket.  Beyond that they are shiny.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 6:50 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Slot machine design 101:

Near misses generate addiction as effectively as actual wins.  The rube conflates achieving a win with actually obtaining it.

The case of rare "near misses", though, may fall into the overuse category ("another loss role" Vs "I might win this time").  A guaranteed rare on a roll would make the event much rarer, and possibly lose some of the desired effect above.

When my Dad was studying sociology and addiction, he came across a paper regarding slot machines that don't ever give a payable win (the machines were rigged, and the unsuspecting players were afterward informed, reimbursed and debriefed).  These machines were specifically rigged to NEVER pay, so there were not even the little mini-wins.  The combination of the build up and the lack of payoff generated a growing conviction in the mind that the a) the payoff had to happen soon because of how many times it hadn't and b) since they had been putting in the payment and spins the payoff when it happened was rightfully theirs and therefore they had a right to prevent someone else from getting it.   It creating a mindset whereby pretty soon the entertainment money was gone, then the fuel money, and pretty soon the grocery and rent/mortgage payment was being fed into the one-armed bandit.  Mini wins paradoxically reinforced this.  There's a reason the most common scratch-it win is of enough to buy another couple of scratch-its.

Anyway, for me, the drumroll does not happen nearly often enough to make me chase it for its own sake.  Rolling a rare is always just a bonus, and there is never in my mind an anticipation that "this could be the one".  To be honest, the MoI has been a nil outcome event often enough that for me, I usually ignore it and on the occasions where there is a positive outcome it usually takes me some time to spot it. (The only real exception has been to forage specifically for rare coins, but that was goal oriented towards putting together a set of rare coins - when my neighbours had rare coins, I was more than happy to just swap my "normals" for their blue-shinies).  Now if the MoI always resulted in something (a rare when imping, or maybe a significant ql improvement) I might actually find the drumroll and swirl a little bit exciting. 

Well, if you so worried your no-life creation spam market would be ruined, they can just lower the moi chance or whatever so the actual noobs won't get excited for nothing when they getting drum rolls while actually playing the game

On 10/13/2020 at 10:10 PM, Finnn said:

so you're only bothered by the rainbow animation effect on the screen when you 'fail' to get anything from it

I am developing a ptsd