Sign in to follow this  
grak

Tile borders not actually "too moist to plant"

I am on Freedom server, and just started building on a small peninsula close to the entrance of Elysian Bay. I have been trying to plant hedges but keep getting the response that the ground is too wet and the sprout would rot. The tile borders are level and not submerged by water, so this makes zero sense. It would be great if it would stop saying it's too moist when it's not. I have one whole side of the peninsula done with hedges, but the other two I am trying to do are having this issue. Again, everything is level. https://imgur.com/a/6fwt1GP link for screenshot.

Edited by grak

If you are only 1 or 2 dirt above water you will get this message. If you are in a cave, and the floor is not reinforced, it will show water puddles among rock spikes. Consequence is: you cannot plant on that tile, including planting hedges on its borders, or prolly dropping large planters (not tested). Fences and walls will work, you may even erect a building when the ground is flat (reinforced in caves).  But you will not be able to meditate on such tiles. It is part of game mechanics. You may raise the tile by dropping dirt, or raising with concrete in caves.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

You can narrow this down a bit more: have tried right clicking the tile? if it says drink, it is too low. 
When you place a meditation rug on it and it says you cannot meditate here, it is one above water level or so, which is also still too moist for hedges but does not allow drinking. It would allow you to construct buildings though (which is kind of weird really, the meditation threshold being different from the building one). 

If you drop one dirt on each corner and check, then, if it doesnt work, drop down one more on each corner, that will also help narrow it down. 

Reverse direction, if you dig down one corner, can you then "drink" assuming you couldnt before?

Long story short, there are different data points you can gather to narrow it down, but most likely, the tile is simply too low. 

Now, side note: if the entire peninsula is level (i.e. ALL tiles on it are the same height) and it worked on one side of it but not on the other, that sure would be a bug 

The issue might be, even tho you are planting on a border, the check that is  being done is on the entire tile.

Are the 2 sides that you can not do, the North and the West sides?

If so then it's because that tile is considered in the water even tho the border is not.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:42 PM, Faerian said:

You can narrow this down a bit more: have tried right clicking the tile? if it says drink, it is too low. 

Yes, but even if you cannot drink, it may still be too low.

Edited by Ekcin

One side cannot be lower than the other, as Wurm water level is universal and the whole plot  is flat. I checked it myself, all tiles on that peninsula are exactly on the same level above the water level, also a tile that has water on it, including a tile that comprises a scaffold of island or a peninsula will give you a drink option, and yet you can still plant hedges and build fences or even plan buildings.