Sign in to follow this  
RainRain

Amateur titles for skills at 30

Though 30 isn't much of an accomplishment for most skills, I feel like adding a new array of titles that are gained at 30 skill rather than only starting at 50 would serve as a decent encouragement for new players/casual players playing the game- getting a title is a fun achievement, though it can be quite some time before people begin to earn their first tiles in the game.

Having some earlier ones that are 'amateur' in nature might add a small, neat incentive to new players to keep struggling on for just a moment. Plus, there are many skills where 30 skill is a decent accomplishment.

30 body strength is a fairly decent accomplishment on pvp servers, as it's the point where DR starts to become greatly diminished in gains.
30 masonry is when you can begin to plan and build stone houses.
30 fight skill is around the point where the first few aggressive monsters are fought (assuming you dont have incredibly enchanted/good gear)
30 locksmithing isn't too far off from the 25 limit of being able to make lockpicks.
30 axe/weapon skill isn't too far off from the 40 limit to being able to parry/block (though really, neither is 50 but w/e)
30 faith is, naturally, the cutoff point before you can become a priest.
30 in most cooking skills is just 3 points shy of being needed so you no longer quality cap your ingredients (most of them using skill*3, for example baking bread)

I could keep going, but 30 skill is a fairly decent point where you're "okay" at a skill, and I feel like rewarding players with a title at that point seems fitting. Most of the titles could reflect that a player is amateurish at the skill, i.e "Aspiring Chef" or "Amateur Alchemist" or just have a weaker emphasis on their prowess such as "Tough" for body strength, "Fast" for body control, and so forth.

Plus, making new title names is always fun.

• Like 1

Makes sense to me. It is indeed a milestone for many skills as you described. One thing, however. A lot of Journal entries have a requirement for X number of titles. Wouldn't be much of a challenge if amateur tiltes were a thing. 

46 minutes ago, armyskin said:

I thought 50 was amateur.

50 if you do not grind it's the long waited goal you just reached after 6-12 years of playing or.. still chased dream for one day.

Some people wont ever grind for skill numbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vessel said:

Makes sense to me. It is indeed a milestone for many skills as you described. One thing, however. A lot of Journal entries have a requirement for X number of titles. Wouldn't be much of a challenge if amateur tiltes were a thing. 

That's fair; those could be modifier to want more titles as well- i'm not sure how important it is to the devs to have those particular challenges be untouched. I always thought they were one of the easier ones as it was.

Edited by RainRain

70 in my mind has always been the point where I felt it was ok to mention that I possessed a skill.

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

50 if you do not grind it's the long waited goal you just reached after 6-12 years of playing or.. still chased dream for one day.

Some people wont ever grind for skill numbers.

Colour my hand up.  I do not grind, and have ONE skill over 50 and only a couple of others over 30.

Wait, no, I did grind, for about a day or two to get my FC high enough to make a spinning wheel.