Sign in to follow this  
Ryaanna

Special events to improve player retention

I'm really sad about how this game is going. It's fading away again; slowly, but faster than I'd hoped. 

There needs to be some excitement injected back into the game, and this doesn't necessarily require any major changes, just something special to give people that push to log in again, or reprem. 

This push could be in the form of events, goals, and small bonuses.

Some examples off the top of my head: 

• A weekend with special drops from hunting. For example a "rare leather hunter's hat" cosmetic skin.
  • Special woodcutter's week, where you get an extra 10% on max quality wood, plus a chance for some special drops. For example a special bow cosmetic skin.
  • Miner's week, extra 10% on quality + a higher chance to get gems.
  • Bring back monthly skill gain events, like we had on the steam launch opening weeks.
  • Special premium purchasing deals, buy 2 months, get 1 free.
  • Special cooking recipes events, where a wider range of recipes are dropped from all creatures.
  • Higher Winds Week, where boats receive a 20% speed increase, and the increased tides have unearthed underwater chests for people to hunt out.

You get the idea.

Other games have these kinds of events extremely regularly to make the game feel more alive, and it makes people feel like there's always a good reason to log in and play.

Edited by Ryaanna
  • Like 20

Agreed!

For some, just grinding is exciting enough seeing the numbers rise. But I think more would appreciate events like this.

Doesn't take much implementation, just a little imagination

• Like 1

Yes, but it'll be put on the backburner like everything else.I feel like they need a dev focused solely on Events and Player Retention.

• Like 1

Yes, i fully agree Ryaanna! Bring some more excitement to the game. Even some small gimmick events can bring the game more alive

• Like 1

100% agree with this.

This sounds particularly fun (and easy to implement):

22 minutes ago, Ryaanna said:
  • Higher Winds Week, where boats receive a 20% speed increase, and the increased tides have unearthed underwater chests for people to hunt out.

• Like 1

I honestly wish we had some of the GM powered events again, the ones done by Spellcast were amazing.

But yes, Wurm needs to follow the exemple of many others MMos where weekly/monthly events are a thing. Even if the game is a sandbox, some of our new (and old)  players want a bit more directed content.

• Like 1

Proceeding at pace with getting rifts done on the new server should be a priority too

Yes, it may be hard or even impossible. But you could have hundreds show up, potentially. Make the most of it. Not everyone is weak, and we have some good priests and excellent gear.

Yes, besides Enkounters that are kind of rare, the only in game event I remember was April Fools where you got nice chests plus player hosted events: impalongs and my "The Mystery Of Astrix" riddle solution hunt.

On 10/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, WesternConglomerate said:

Yes, but it'll be put on the backburner like everything else.I feel like they need a dev focused solely on Events and Player Retention.

Oh god this! exactly this!

After you get used to most of wurm's activities, the repetition really sets in. You build up your deed ? Check! You skill some stuff? Check! You do some hunting? Check! Same people spamming the same things in trade chat? Check!

We kinda need events or things to make us play other than "oh, that number went up by 0.016748 again". I am tired of the grind and of building, I'd rather be invested in other things in wurm, but when you take out the grind / building, wurm's activities are sparse and too few. Missions? Rifts? Pvp is dead on Epic. Chaos isn't doing much better.

We simply have too few things to do other than sit on our deeds and build or grind.

We need a developer to add new events to the game.

• Like 1