Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Satellite internet from Tesla (Space-x)

For those living in areas with really terrible internet options, I suggest signing up for this (Beta soon).  Sounds like it might be North America initially, but 100gig and under 30ms latency, which is killer for satellite.  Better than a lot of land based internet.  I'm signed up to be notified when Beta is available and if I get in, I'll post back with my results.  Game changer for rural locations.

https://www.starlink.com/

• Like 1

Shifted over to woodscraps, but looks cool! 

I do worry about the impact on our night skies though :( 

• Like 1

Thanks! 

Yeah, there will be some more specs up there, but moving stars are fun too!  When I look up on a clear night here (Northern Idaho) with very little light polution, I do see a couple satellites now and I can say they are not distracting in the least.

Edit:  I think most of the "pollution of the night sky" is a concept that people latch onto, without realizing what it will actually be like.  What is worse, stringing land cables through our rural cities, making a huge impact on our views of the local landscapes and sunsets, or a few extra pin pricks of light in a dark sky?  One people see every day and the other would be viewed rarely, except by those star gazer enthusiasts.

Edited by Wurmhole

I know they're meant to be using a darker, non-reflective paint.

I heard the initial ping results weren't great but I imagine they've gotten much better since.

Personally I can't wait.

• Like 1

The first beta is likely to only be very northern US and southern Canada to start, someone made a map on a reddit thread I saw awhile ago. Read somewhere I can't find again that the public beta will start when the batch that launched a few days ago reaches its target orbits. I'm excited for how fast SpaceX has been moving forward on all front lately, even starship development seems to be going at an insane rate for making a new rocket of that size and fully reusable.

Ux9ihwE.png

• Like 2