Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

Rip jackal it was fun the one time you came around we wish you came around more but alas

jackal!!!  

32 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-10 how much did you enjoy the idea of jackal and what it could be(not how it was done)

10 hours ago, Samool said:

There have been quite a few questions and suggestions regarding the future of Jackal. While the first iteration of that has been quite fun, it does require a ton of work and changes to make it worthwhile to run another edition of it, and that is not something we’re interested in - we feel that work is currently much better directed at improving the base game, and not the extending “episodic” content. Generally, you should not expect another Jackal run for quite some time, as we prefer to focus on the other things we have planned. But, never say never!

I wish it came around more :( it has such potential but alas i hope some day we will still get a j2 but just like with challenge i doubt it :(

@SamoolI don't understand, if developers do not wish to work on Jackal, but was playable and fun, why not to put it "as it", unless there are some bugs like item/stat losses or data corruption/security problems. I also heard that was some considerable artist work put in there. So, why not? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Platyna said:

@SamoolI don't understand, if developers do not wish to work on Jackal, but was playable and fun, why not to put it "as it", unless there are some bugs like item/stat losses or data corruption/security problems. I also heard that was some considerable artist work put in there. So, why not? 

Because at this point we don't believe running the same thing will be fun. There was a lot of issues raised with how Jackal played, and while the novelty excused most of them on the first run, it does require a lot of tweaks to be viable longer term.

Even just putting it there "as is" requires a heap of work from us on setting it up and then maintaining it, bugfixing the issues that are bound to pop up etc.

We're not ruling it out for the future, it's just not something that is of any priority at this point.

• Like 5

It would have made a good free to play server for 6 months at a time .

Let new players get there feet wet ..

They could still have made money from it with deed and upkeep .

Even letting some of the skill trickle back to WO would have been ok , may have helped keep some new players to switch over ..

But it was a ok server ... wetta's for the win ....

I would definitely iterate it to include some form of PVP play into Jackal. It seems Wurm PVP might best working on time limited scenarios.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Samool said:

Because at this point we don't believe running the same thing will be fun. There was a lot of issues raised with how Jackal played, and while the novelty excused most of them on the first run, it does require a lot of tweaks to be viable longer term.

Even just putting it there "as is" requires a heap of work from us on setting it up and then maintaining it, bugfixing the issues that are bound to pop up etc.

We're not ruling it out for the future, it's just not something that is of any priority at this point.

How about some open-source spirit: let us play on it but put some warning it is a legacy server, no longer supported, a service provided as is? How about maybe to allow WU modders to put their two cents etc? Maybe keep it open only during Rift days etc. Humans generally like to be involved and I see here that a lot of players want it, so they probably will enjoy it and if it will fail you can always shut down it again. Honestly if it wasn't PVP I would love to visit it, I am a new player and never was there. If you think this could be a good idea, maybe make some popular vote. It would be a nice cookie for us. Just some loose idea. 

Edited by Platyna

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

I would definitely iterate it to include some form of PVP play into Jackal. It seems Wurm PVP might best working on time limited scenarios.

@JazI think you may be on to something there. Don't give it time to get so postmodern that no one can enjoy it anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samool said:

As someone who ran the largest team of players actually completing the Jackal objectives and winning the map - Jackal was an amazing idea, and decently executed. Episodic content is definately where you want to go if you want to make money in wurm. I've been playing wurm for 13 years and that was the first sign of something really new and exciting in wurm. Jackal was able to take a team of people and have them committed to the overall goal, and that kept deeds together, because it wasn't about petty freedom drama - just about completing the maps objective and focusing on that, that does wonders for playerbase retention. Jackal saw a sharp decline because those players who didnt mind losing their houses didnt get a decent skillgain or reward back from investing time in Jackal previously. The skins from Jackal points? cmon... they're so boring they were insulting.

Two things you need to fix to make jackal better. Use freedom skill gain (not epics system), and have ticks transfer back to main characters. Who cares if people get more skill on their main char while working on one that will get deleted? Just make people feel like their time is well spent.

Reduce the damn slope of the spikey terrain, everyone agrees it was infuriating, even with wetas. Just cut the max slope of the jagged terrain by like 5-10. 

Change those two things, and you can have a 3 month cycling server that will keep people totally entertained for a long time. I think the "heap of work" is just a cop-out. GM's and Enki mainly probably had a blast with the stronghold at the end. It wasn't anything fancy, but when we had 30-40 warriors in local all fighting back the hoards, it built such a wonderful community with players that don't normally play together. Friendships made on jackal are everlasting.

You can keep the same Jackal map even if it's alot of work, just change the stronghold location.

Thats something you can never do with Freedom in a decent amount of time.

Jackal gave that "new start" feeling while still keeping your old character.

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 3

i'd like a Jackal like thing that you can just portal to.

Like rifts.. but you can go through? Then come back. J

Just want some fun adventures to do with people but at the end of the day I want to come back to my deed.

• Like 3