Samool

Wurm Online Roadmap - What's after Steam?

Recommended Posts

How about you turn rifts and missions on the northern servers.. that be a start .

Also add back the moon metals to mark store....since people had already purchased some and its still out there ..

Dont think it would hurt anything at this moment..

 

Also spawn is wacked out again...try and get this fixed...adding hoards or rooming packs be good..

As for building adds .. can you make a roof actually go to the wall insted of a peek ...have the two options ...

 

At the moment i see Wurm going the same way it did when they added the last servers ... busy then die off again ..

It is time to hitch the horses and get moving....

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2020 at 3:10 AM, Etherdrifter said:

The economy of wurm is somewhat a mixture of problems.  

 

Ask yourself a moment; why can players drive down the price of a 90 QL pickaxe to the same price as a 40 QL pickaxe?

 

If both items are the same price, why would a player ever buy the QL 40 pick?

 

The skillgap means a skilled (95 blacksmithing) player with an utmost iron vein (not uncommon) can make QL 90 tools at roughly the same rate a middle of the line Smith (50 blacksmithing) can churn out QL 40 tools.

 

Regardless of any form of skill drain, this situation will persist; and it forms part of the problem

 

1.  There is no incentive to buy low QL tools over high QL ones.

 

2.  The production of high QL items isn't "difficult" once you have high skill.

 

3.  Both tools can be drawn from the same basic resource node.

 

From here we can also see that...

 

4.  Items persist indefinitely, so a higher quality tool is always a better investment

 

Next we come to the matter of magic; on wurm priests are designed to be alts.  All magic is tied to 2 skills; one of which is an afk grind (faith) and one of which is a cheese grind (channeling).  Once a player has high enough skills, a priest alt becomes a "good investment"; further elevating their wares.  Thus we have...

 

5.  Magic is easily alted, so high quality tools are usually further enhanced by enchants.

 

The existence of highly skilled characters isn't the real problem here; the issue is low QL items have far less utility for the same basic material cost.

 

Changing how items are improved (making them need progressively rarer resources to improve at higher QLs such as quenching in source etc) and linking wurm's magic to more than just two skills is a far better and longer lasting solution as it takes out 2, 3 and 5.  This would force up the price of these prestige tools due to their difficulty to produce and increased difficulty to maintain.

 

However we're still left facing 1 and 4; with 4 being unsolvable as to do so would violate wurm's character and 1 being a huge upheaval as it would require a change in the very way wurm is played 

 

What if you could "tier" or "masterwork" items.  Takes a minimum quality item then begin the process to improve it adding some powerful bonus.   So say to Masterwork an item you need a base 50ql item.  You start the process by using a tool to flag creation of a masterwork, think like making it a clay item for pottery able to be improved but not used.  This process resets it back to 1 ql and you start improving which adds bonuses to the item.  When completed you can :"stamp" "Sign" "engrave" or what ever the item making it useable but unimprovable.  It will eventually break.  Now you have our current forever tools but can if you want to make the investment get a powerful tool/weapon/armor that doesn't stay in the game forever.  Trading the convience of a forever item for a powerful short time item.

 

Using a base item of specific quality can open a market for mid tier items that masterwork smiths can buy up so they aren't using all their time making base items.  

 

Doing something like this could greatly boost the econemy with out affecting the existing items.  There is no way to make the current forever items go away.  You would need to add something else.  In this case most people will want master work if they are min/maxing but it won't effect those that like their forever items and won't screw people out of their memento style items either.

 

Just a thought. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give us more tailoring options and clothing variations! Please :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank god for the account system its kinda atrocious at the moment.  Though i do hope we get o have a better taming system and more in-depth animal system. Also could we get a update to the tree graphics? Fruit trees in particular are really to small for how populous they are. They could really stand to be tall enough that riding through them does not get you stuck inside their branches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, Etherdrifter said:

The economy of wurm is somewhat a mixture of problems.  

 

First of all I consider all that summoning of the allegedly bad economy nonsense, and ignorance of RL history, economic history in particular. Every economy alway has been a mixture of problems frequently resulting in collapses. Obviously, many cluelessly adhere to the neoclassic dogma that markets tend to equilibrium. That is not true in RL economy, and even less in Wurm. It all stems from the wrong belief (carved in stone in econometric models) that markets were ergodic systems which they are not. Instead, every non expanding market will always tend towards disequilibrium, towards hierarchy, towards monopoly.

 

To say it shortly, there is no way to "fix the economy".  The economy evolved as could be expected, and no disruption of the existing system of qualities, enchantments etc. will cause more than that, disruption, then calmly going its way towards the next disequilibrium where the more experienced, together with those with more time budget, will continue to control what is left as "markets".

 

We could observe that some of the "laws" of free competition seemed to work fine after the launch of the new servers, meaning a rapidly expanding ingame economy. That party was over soon by the influx of experienced veterans from start on, knowledgeable to raise their skill fast and able to get control of most market segments.

 

But so what? Economy in Wurm is just a side game, not much more important than fishing, and often less fun. And it is easy to ignore, and widely is.

 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, Etherdrifter said:

2.  The production of high QL items isn't "difficult" once you have high skill.

 

The production of any item within the limits of .77*skill+23 is not difficult

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 9:28 PM, Samool said:

We also intend to expand further on the construction features, adding both new building elements and decorative items and features. One of our desired features that we’ve been playing with are docks, which would allow you to create structures on water. On the decoration side, a popular suggestion (as well as something we want to see in the game) is hanging items on walls - we’ll be looking at how we can add that.

Animal keeping is another feature that we feel has much more potential to be realized. We’ll be working on expanding that part and making keeping different animals a more varied and in-depth feature, with perhaps a new animal or two thrown into the mix.

Does this mean I will soon be able to build my Log Cabin on my Ostrich Farm? :)

 

Seriously people asked for Log buildings over 8 years ago and the texture already exists with Palisade gates just turn them sideways and add windows.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a great job on that UI and other features in the last six months. Looking forward for more improvements and very much like to see 1handed spear, so i can use a shield. I have already mention this a year ago and someone else brought it up. I know there so much to do, depending on the manpower and skills, just gotta be creative and patient.

 

Back then sometimes end of last year, i heard rumors that they were planning to have log cabin, so you can build a cozy cabin in the wilderness. Now that i would very much like to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things I would like to add to the endless list of wants....

 

Please, can we have some armor that allows females to look like females?  I don't mind having a butt ugly avatar, but if it could look like a butt ugly female avatar, that would be great.  Said with love, of course.

Stained glass

Green peppers

A much wider variety of plants and flowers.

 

I know you guys are working your fingers to the bone for us and it doesn't go without saying how much we appreciate and often revere you.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great news!

 

I particuarly like the combat overhaul, UI improvements, exploration and random PvE encounters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 4:28 AM, Samool said:

We also intend to expand further on the construction features, adding both new building elements and decorative items and features.

- Would be nice if we could finally get fences matching height with bridges.

- Also some kind of interior ramps to ride/drive between the floors.

- Also maybe increase limit of building stories?

- Wooden floors with different colors of wood would be nice.

- Some kind of fillers between roof and inner house walls (not outer).

- Removing requirement to make a door/opening at the bottom floor of the building.

- Wider variety of doors, some metal gates for houses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 10:20 AM, kochinac said:

To all the people thinking in this way. People don't play this game to do the chores of saving everything you accomplished over the years every day... We don't like to loose what we got, nor we like to do any extra stuff to maintain that what we got.

If i have to regrind my skills everytime i log in or to spend even hour every day repairing everything on my deed, ###### it, its not worth it, wont play it.

I couldn't agree more! I have been playing on and off for about 7 years now, and the single most thing which REALLY annoys me about this game is the decay rate of items in general, and off-deed structures.

YES I KNOW and AFFIRM that decay is necessary for the game to function, but to me it just seems WAY TOO FAST. With Wurm already being a game where grinding and repetitive tasks are part of the deal and for many players taking 75% or more of their playing time, it doesn't get better with knowing you will then need to repair all your items and off-deed fences/structures like at least every real-life week!

 

On another note, the (relatively, especially to server-capacity) few loyal players to the game are already PAYING to play, so why piss them off by forcing them to spend even more money deeding every single roundpole fence? YES there will be people who will do this and bring money to the game, but won't you SCARE AWAY so many other players, so the game actually LOSES MONEY in the long run?

 

It SADDENS me to see the player count in Wurm go down from 2000 to 600 in about 2 months (European daytime). But on the other hand I can understand new people leaving the game after they find out, after spending hours or even days building their 2x2 wooden shack, that they now need to repair it every few real-life days, or be forced to spend even more money to deed every single puny fence. You can't force people who just want to live on their own to make a deed. A deed is for a village/community, not for a single 2x2 shack!

 

Not to mention giving deed-owners SECOND THOUGHTS about EXPANDING, because then they need to expand the deed with it to prevent the decay rates for off-deed structures/fences destroying everything in no-time. Isn't this game about building/expanding?

The decay rate for off-deed structures is so steep that is seems COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to me. Not to mention that deed-owners will many times ask new players to either help fund the deed or do feudal peasant-like labor if they want to build their structure on their deed or even join, scaring them away not only from joining their village but many times from the game itself! And again, they were already PAYING MONTHLY to play the game!

 

All these bad incentives and mechanics can be solved just by lowering the decay rate for off-deed structures. YES there should be a decay-rate. Just a much slower one than currently implemented.

 

Edit: I know this forum for years now so I know there will be people who will try and break down and disprove every single point I made here. But nevertheless there are many (ex-)players who share my views! If you want players to keep playing this game instead of leaving in a month, better start to listen to their concerns instead of arguing with them. I made a similar point about 7 years ago on an old account and the reply from other players pissed me off so much that I stopped visiting this forum back then.

Edited by AliDarwesh
Extra point
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AliDarwesh said:

I couldn't agree more! I have been playing on and off for about 7 years now, and the single most thing which REALLY annoys me about this game is the decay rate of items in general, and off-deed structures.

YES I KNOW and AFFIRM that decay is necessary for the game to function, but to me it just seems WAY TOO FAST. With Wurm already being a game where grinding and repetitive tasks are part of the deal and for many players taking 75% or more of their playing time, it doesn't get better with knowing you will then need to repair all your items and off-deed fences/structures like at least every real-life week!

 

On another note, the (relatively, especially to server-capacity) few loyal players to the game are already PAYING to play, so why piss them off by forcing them to spend even more money deeding every single roundpole fence? YES there will be people who will do this and bring money to the game, but won't you SCARE AWAY so many other players, so the game actually LOSES MONEY in the long run?

 

It SADDENS me to see the player count in Wurm go down from 2000 to 600 in about 2 months (European daytime). But on the other hand I can understand new people leaving the game after they find out, after spending hours or even days building their 2x2 wooden shack, that they now need to repair it every few real-life days, or be forced to spend even more money to deed every single puny fence. You can't force people who just want to live on their own to make a deed. A deed is for a village/community, not for a single 2x2 shack!

 

Not to mention giving deed-owners SECOND THOUGHTS about EXPANDING, because then they need to expand the deed with it to prevent the decay rates for off-deed structures/fences destroying everything in no-time. Isn't this game about building/expanding?

The decay rate for off-deed structures is so steep that is seems COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to me. Not to mention that deed-owners will many times ask new players to either help fund the deed or do feudal peasant-like labor if they want to build their structure on their deed or even join, scaring them away not only from joining their village but many times from the game itself! And again, they were already PAYING MONTHLY to play the game!

 

All these bad incentives and mechanics can be solved just by lowering the decay rate for off-deed structures. YES there should be a decay-rate. Just a much slower one than currently implemented.

 

Edit: I know this forum for years now so I know there will be people who will try and break down and disprove every single point I made here. But nevertheless there are many (ex-)players who share my views! If you want players to keep playing this game instead of leaving in a month, better start to listen to their concerns instead of arguing with them. I made a similar point about 7 years ago on an old account and the reply from other players pissed me off so much that I stopped visiting this forum back then.

When mentioning new players being asked to do slave-labor or pay up,  I admit that I partially talk about my own experience as a new player about 7 years ago, when I joined Bell's Hell, led by Davidlewisbell, on Serenity. But I have seen this behaviour over and over and over, scaring many new players away. Another example would be Croatoan, I  forgot the name of the leader but one of the prominent players there being Redneckgranny, on Desertion, also about 7 years ago.

 

Yes there SHOULD be incentives for players to join a settlement. Off-deed decay just shouldn't be one of them!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. First of all i understand that creation skillgain is reduced to 33% on most jobs. But why also on creation only? Like Lock Smithing? Is already pure chance. Why not give creation only jobs more skillgain?

2. praying: we do priest get punished for praying in a faith zone? The current process kinda annoying. If you want to make a journal hard why not change it to channeling 70? at least the priest would grind something useful which doenst fell more and more as a punishment

3. I love the cooking recept book. The mark as favorit feature is awesome. Could we also get something similar for creation crafting? Like small amboss + iron and i can filter out by only mark my favorits (locks, lock picks and so on?)

4. If the concern is that ppl on pvp still not use SB on pvp after the SB merge, a one sided merge would be a nice solution. So one can only use pve SB on pvp but not pvp gained SB on pve.

 

Edited by Yuchdan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AliDarwesh said:

I couldn't agree more! I have been playing on and off for about 7 years now, and the single most thing which REALLY annoys me about this game is the decay rate of items in general, and off-deed structures.

YES I KNOW and AFFIRM that decay is necessary for the game to function, but to me it just seems WAY TOO FAST. With Wurm already being a game where grinding and repetitive tasks are part of the deal and for many players taking 75% or more of their playing time, it doesn't get better with knowing you will then need to repair all your items and off-deed fences/structures like at least every real-life week!

 

On another note, the (relatively, especially to server-capacity) few loyal players to the game are already PAYING to play, so why piss them off by forcing them to spend even more money deeding every single roundpole fence? YES there will be people who will do this and bring money to the game, but won't you SCARE AWAY so many other players, so the game actually LOSES MONEY in the long run?

 

It SADDENS me to see the player count in Wurm go down from 2000 to 600 in about 2 months (European daytime). But on the other hand I can understand new people leaving the game after they find out, after spending hours or even days building their 2x2 wooden shack, that they now need to repair it every few real-life days, or be forced to spend even more money to deed every single puny fence. You can't force people who just want to live on their own to make a deed. A deed is for a village/community, not for a single 2x2 shack!

 

Not to mention giving deed-owners SECOND THOUGHTS about EXPANDING, because then they need to expand the deed with it to prevent the decay rates for off-deed structures/fences destroying everything in no-time. Isn't this game about building/expanding?

The decay rate for off-deed structures is so steep that is seems COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to me. Not to mention that deed-owners will many times ask new players to either help fund the deed or do feudal peasant-like labor if they want to build their structure on their deed or even join, scaring them away not only from joining their village but many times from the game itself! And again, they were already PAYING MONTHLY to play the game!

 

All these bad incentives and mechanics can be solved just by lowering the decay rate for off-deed structures. YES there should be a decay-rate. Just a much slower one than currently implemented.

 

Edit: I know this forum for years now so I know there will be people who will try and break down and disprove every single point I made here. But nevertheless there are many (ex-)players who share my views! If you want players to keep playing this game instead of leaving in a month, better start to listen to their concerns instead of arguing with them. I made a similar point about 7 years ago on an old account and the reply from other players pissed me off so much that I stopped visiting this forum back then.

Good points on the decay rate, but it is a tightrope the devs try to walk. As it stands now, I have seen buildings in my area (or perimeters and in wild) that are still standing after close to a year with no repair. While this is great for the owners of said buildings, it stifles any further development of the land around it. With even slower decay I'd think we would see all available shore and most desirable inland areas littered with old buildings nobody can do anything about. Given that, the devs need to tune the decay so players feel like they can make a go at off-deed housing while simultaneously keeping the land from being "locked" with old crap.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2020 at 4:10 AM, Etherdrifter said:

4.  Items persist indefinitely, so a higher quality tool is always a better investment

The Wurm economy is like this:

  1. New server opens, new characters made.
  2. People rush to carve out their niche and make crazy silver selling in an open market.
  3. Other players catch up and prices stabilize.
  4. Buyers purchase a handful of items that will last them for months or years with proper care.
  5. The market becomes oversaturated with goods from competing sellers trying to keep silver flowing in.
  6. Prices crash due to lack of buyers, most items are barely worth the time put in to them.
  7. People complain.

 

Following the Eve Online model, which also has a primarily player driven economy similar to this one, I think that there should be a chance for some of your items to either be destroyed or degrade when you die. People are going to complain about it, but you cannot have a balanced economy when there is nothing taking items out of circulation. The only item sinks that exist are decay, which hardly affects anything on a deed, or players forgetting to repair; compare that to the sheer amount of items flowing into the market and you'll see just how lopsided it is.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up it looks like the animal spawns are broken on defiance again. I see next to nothing after hunting for 3 hours and I am looking in unusual places as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zao said:

Just a heads up it looks like the animal spawns are broken on defiance again. I see next to nothing after hunting for 3 hours and I am looking in unusual places as well.

 

They all in JK lands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zao said:

Just a heads up it looks like the animal spawns are broken on defiance again. I see next to nothing after hunting for 3 hours and I am looking in unusual places as well.

i have tons of mobs in JK land

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sovos said:

The Wurm economy is like this: ..

.. I think that there should be a chance for some of your items to either be destroyed or degrade when you die. People are going to complain about it, but you cannot have a balanced economy when there is nothing taking items out of circulation.

 

Actually -100 for forced item decay. And wrong "analysis" again. There is no such beast as a "balanced economy", it will be evolving all time. Items already do decay and are lost. Destruction on death is a PvP ##### idea.

 

 

6 hours ago, SirMuttley said:

Good points on the decay rate, but it is a tightrope the devs try to walk. As it stands now, I have seen buildings in my area (or perimeters and in wild) that are still standing after close to a year with no repair. ..

 

Obviously, those owners are still logging on on that server, and their structures are of stone, sandstone, marble etc., and quality of 70 and beyond. Maybe they are even repairing here and then. That is game working as intended. A low ql wooden structure will decay ways faster.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

And wrong "analysis" again.

Actually it seems to follow what I've observed so far.  Perhaps it's only the kind of trend you notice when you've been around a while; if you remember I was around for the early days of Release/Pristine and the similarities in market trends are quite striking.

 

If you'd like to back your opinion up with some theory I might give it more weight.

 

6 hours ago, Sovos said:

you cannot have a balanced economy when there is nothing taking items out of circulation

 

I'm not too sure there; it's not just a matter of removing items from circulation but making it beneficial to remove. 

 

For example (very rough notion here): have items that are used pick up "wear" which can then be used by crafters to enhance the item further in a specialised way (for example, a sickle that becomes more effective at picking sprouts but slower at pruning).  Allow one tool to "absorb" another (removing the other tool) to get a portion of its "wear".  This creates an incentive to "remove" old tools you find from the game to enchance your own special set and would likely act as a very viable item sink.

 

The point here is that you can remove items from circulation in a way that benefits players; it doesn't have to be something punishing and un-wurm-like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

 

Obviously, those owners are still logging on on that server, and their structures are of stone, sandstone, marble etc., and quality of 70 and beyond. Maybe they are even repairing here and then. That is game working as intended. A low ql wooden structure will decay ways faster.

I know that, and yes it is working as intended. My point was how much *worse* it would be if things basically never decayed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we fix weapon smithing 😰 im excited for 3 people to quit and the defiance server to go back to 50ql weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Melros said:

Can we fix weapon smithing 😰 im excited for 3 people to quit and the defiance server to go back to 50ql weapons.

??? Whats wrong with Weapon smithing. I just started lvling it. Heard bl defiance lost a wep smith.  Waiting for the ban hammer list to drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AceRifle said:

??? Whats wrong with Weapon smithing. I just started lvling it. Heard bl defiance lost a wep smith.  Waiting for the ban hammer list to drop.

 

:) Great comment! Thank you for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melros said:

Can we fix weapon smithing 😰 im excited for 3 people to quit and the defiance server to go back to 50ql weapons.

 

Why would we go back to 50ql weapons? We have two weapon smiths at 90. If you need weapons, just kill JK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now