Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Wurm Online Roadmap - What's after Steam?

They gave up on this roadmap and are working on Wurm VR now.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

haha, implying they're actually working on something

get ripped by performing 20k physical digging actions

2 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Wurm vr was long long ago, before the 4.0 client. Its in one of budda's roadmap actually! 

current steam statics show that almost no one plays WO on steam anymore. Went from the launch at 1200 concurrent players daily to 200 a day max. all avoidable mistakes that were made. 

The steam count is crap, that has been discussed more than once. Steam showed 1200 in July when over 3000 players at a time could be observed on NFI, or even more  ("the steam servers" as many called them - I can prove over 3k from my logs but recall in excess of 4k in July/August). They showed 140 players at times when there were over 750 in all of WO, about half in NFI (and I know a couple of players with steam client on SFI too).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azuleslight said:

current steam statics show that almost no one plays WO on steam anymore. Went from the launch at 1200 concurrent players daily to 200 a day max. all avoidable mistakes that were made. 

Also, daily max does not equal MAU, which is generally the key metric for a game. 

Monthly Active Users takes people who play weekends, or for an hour at a time on weekdays, or randomly into account as well. 

don't look at daily max for any information (or worse "daily average") because it's not counting individual people, just because the max is 200, doesn't mean it's not 600-1000 people logging on throughout the day on Steam alone

• Like 1

Is summer people go outside and if you are from Europe then holiday/vacantion aswell.

But no matter the time of year we will never get good progress on any patch unless they hire more paid devs.

Is a simple concept as long as you dont have people being paid to work on the game then the content will be added at a snail's pace.

So if they dont hire more paid devs the roadmaps will be like new year's resolutions: we really really want to stick to them but we realised is too much work and return to old habbits in  1-2 weeks:)

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

The steam count is crap, that has been discussed more than once. Steam showed 1200 in July when over 3000 players at a time could be observed on NFI, or even more  ("the steam servers" as many called them - I can prove over 3k from my logs but recall in excess of 4k in July/August). They showed 140 players at times when there were over 750 in all of WO, about half in NFI (and I know a couple of players with steam client on SFI too).

Might be they only count users who play over a certain amount of time to combat bot inflation.

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

Also, daily max does not equal MAU, which is generally the key metric for a game. 

Monthly Active Users takes people who play weekends, or for an hour at a time on weekdays, or randomly into account as well. 

don't look at daily max for any information (or worse "daily average") because it's not counting individual people, just because the max is 200, doesn't mean it's not 600-1000 people logging on throughout the day on Steam alone

Well, you just failed your data science module, again.

Just remember, if you log in for 5 mins once a month to check upkeep you're not really an active player.

If you log in, but fail to chew through the tutorial, you are not really an active player.

Hell, MAU likely counts alts as different players because, if they're paying preme, they are in the eyes of the business!

Given that MAU is there to convince corporate to continue paying the coders, I'd suggest that it is less than accurate, for good reason.  Why not inflate it and boost your stocks kids!

Average daily/montly users isn't perfect either, it can miss users!  The thing is, over a long period with enough samples, you would be missing roughly the same number of players over time.  These also fail to account for alts; are we counting more alts than we are missing players?  On the old cluster, I would argue we are slightly overcounting based on a small survey.  For the new cluster, I lack enough data to suggest a conclusion.

However, it does show a continuous and steady decline over a long period.  Trying to fob that off as unrepresentative is just demonstrating a failure to understand how statistics work.

Trend seems to be constant sinking number, new content should shake this 'red'.

Big portion of the player count have always been alts.. so actual people playing might be the same, just alts being left on the side to focus on main characters.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1179680 

(steam only population tracked; alts might or might not be counted here, idk if the w/e multiclient run breaks the tracking*)

332cfe622856838eb59e65cd56065f13.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Might be they only count users who play over a certain amount of time to combat bot inflation.

Well, you just failed your data science module, again.

Just remember, if you log in for 5 mins once a month to check upkeep you're not really an active player.

If you log in, but fail to chew through the tutorial, you are not really an active player.

Hell, MAU likely counts alts as different players because, if they're paying preme, they are in the eyes of the business!

Given that MAU is there to convince corporate to continue paying the coders, I'd suggest that it is less than accurate, for good reason.  Why not inflate it and boost your stocks kids!

Average daily/montly users isn't perfect either, it can miss users!  The thing is, over a long period with enough samples, you would be missing roughly the same number of players over time.  These also fail to account for alts; are we counting more alts than we are missing players?  On the old cluster, I would argue we are slightly overcounting based on a small survey.  For the new cluster, I lack enough data to suggest a conclusion.

However, it does show a continuous and steady decline over a long period.  Trying to fob that off as unrepresentative is just demonstrating a failure to understand how statistics work.

See, you keep claiming to understand data, but then you ignore actual data standards in order to drive a very narrow viewpoint. 

I can not imagine any setup that would choose arbitrary online counts over active users, which in steams case is actual users, not alts. 

At the end of the day, you have one goal. To prove that the direction is wurm (which coincidentally, does not match what you would like to see, given your continued disappointment in the treatment of priests) is taking is leading to a declining player base. 

The problem is, you try to back this up with data that any person who understood data science would know is inadmissible in any situation. 

It's fine to not be happy with the direction, it's fine to point out that player counts are lower. It's not fine to try claim the work you do as any form of in depth or scientifically acceptable analysis. 

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 1

This thread is about upcoming content not about player count or any other topic.

If the game has 1000000 or 1 players they still have to make new stuff right?

WTB account system and non micro arrows. Thank you ❤️

• Like 1

I feel like all this player count speculation and data guessing games are a direct result of the choice to hide the subscription graph, hiding it didn't solve the problem and stop the doom and gloom it seems to have just made it worse

• Like 2

*edit*

No point arguing with folks who havn't got a clue about the subject; I'm not being paid to teach here!

11 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

This thread is about upcoming content not about player count or any other topic.

Yup, good point!  I'll drop my argument with Archaed on this matter and stop polluting this thread!

Upcoming content, would be under wurm's "soon (tm)" policy I think!

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 10:28 PM, Samool said:

We also intend to expand further on the construction features, adding both new building elements and decorative items and features. One of our desired features that we’ve been playing with are docks, which would allow you to create structures on water. On the decoration side, a popular suggestion (as well as something we want to see in the game) is hanging items on walls - we’ll be looking at how we can add that.

I know that there's been recent mention of wall decor, but I'm curious where we are with the docks? Is this still in the queue? It's a feature I'm rather eager to see implemented. (along with the ability to dye rugs)

Only thing Ive heard of being on the current to-do list is some "exploration" update. Afaik the roadmap in the OP is no longer valid, which is a shame imho as it consisted of many things Id like to see.

No idea or word about what kind of system exploration might be.

Not even sure VR support is still in the works.

Edited by Karrde

53 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Patiently awaiting some news over here as well.

I feel the same, it would be nice to have updated roadmap (or have at least roadmap for roadmap).

• Like 1

Likely the crash in user number between launch and now has put a crimp in plans. Planning for a population of a couple thousand peak users is a lot different than planning for a population of a couple hundred or less peak users. You have to realize it's a matter of scale. I fully understand but still I'm sure there will be 'stuff' pushed out just have to be a bit patient.

Edited by TheMacGregor

What about merge the two clusters and brand this as the "exploration update" since we'll all have a whole new cluster to "explore"? :P

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 1:21 AM, Bloodreina said:

What about merge the two clusters and brand this as the "exploration update" since we'll all have a whole new cluster to "explore"? :P

Because that would not be any kind of enhanced exploration mechanic.  We can easily explore both clusters without a merger (I certainly did).

Merge or not is a whole different discussion to enhancing the gameplay for us Wurm Wanderers.

Genuine exploration is just about the only way to play the game and get no gain in anything for your time (oh, climbing gets ticks, I guess).  Fortunately, we do it for the doing of it, but a little something in return from the game itself as well would be wonderful.

Edited by TheTrickster