Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Wurm Online Roadmap - What's after Steam?

3 minutes ago, Tigerclaw said:

Skin colors for wagons red black whatever be nice not to have just the old green ones.

Thanks for the update guys good job..

or ability to make dyeable wagons, with the base freedom isles banner, but ability to dye wood and cloth part of it.

also it would be nice the ability to have banner on the ship sails. Can be a skin item purchased with merits or silvers from traders, i really don't mind spending 10s to get my knar have a Hots banner or some other banners.

imagine seeing that on boats around the world with kingdoms affiliations or preferences 

• Like 3

No beverages improvements?

zfNWrQQ.gif

For real, there's a whole lot I want to say but I'll just mute it. But if you're saying no Jackal for the foreseeable future, please give us a way to get the current jackal skins in a way we can choose. I thought the idea of a skin token from journal was a neat idea.

Summary without fluff for word count to make it 1 confusing and 2 long(yes thats me saying that ;) )

1. more tutorial polishing and ingame tips and tools to help new players
2. future ui improvements 
3. finishing up combat overhaul
4."major content updates" to be talked more about with more "large" marketing
5. wilderness overhaul to make it more interesting to explore with possible unique creature rework and skill changes
6. more construction options for decorative items and a new feature docks(building on water) and more animal keeping related things
7. more visual improvements eg character models
8. more game client optimizations
9. sound effect expansion
10. pvp changes
11. jackal has been canceled rip jackal
12. complete account system(at long last thank god)

I still wish you guys would just take 6 months to a year to work on fixes and optimizations and then release a proper tested content update that included a lot of things in 1 go but thats just me

• Like 3

8 hours ago, munster said:

If you're not addressing utter lack of decay (in everything, including skills), or the long-running problematic bugs that players have begged to be fixed for years, all the window-dressing in the world won't save the north clusters from becoming just as stale as every other WO and WU server out there. And to address decay, you have to address playtime (and alts by extension). Someone playing 6 hours a day isn't going to see decay remotely the same way as someone playing 3 hours a week. Without these core problems addressed, it'll be a few more months and the north and south servers will be indistinguishable, in scarcity and player counts.

Here's hoping you can get some of these problems solved, in a meaningful way.

Quite sure you are alone on this demand ;) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Samool said:

We also intend to expand further on the construction features, adding both new building elements and decorative items and features. One of our desired features that we’ve been playing with are docks, which would allow you to create structures on water.

Now THAT I can't wait to see😁!!!  

• Like 4

YES!!! Thank You for finally giving combat an overhaul, the current grandpa combat system is just too boring and requires absolutely no skills. target mob, click attack, wait.......

We also intend to expand further on the construction features, adding both new building elements and decorative items and features. One of our desired features that we’ve been playing with are docks, which would allow you to create structures on water. On the decoration side, a popular suggestion (as well as something we want to see in the game) is hanging items on walls - we’ll be looking at how we can add that.

Animal keeping is another feature that we feel has much more potential to be realized. We’ll be working on expanding that part and making keeping different animals a more varied and in-depth feature, with perhaps a new animal or two thrown into the mix.

im excited about this. 

Other than regular content updates, we plan to continue improving the visual side of the game as well - certain elements of Wurm look aged compared to others and we want to fix that soon. One of our desired upgrades has always been an overhaul to how the characters look - while it might be a bit far off right now, we will be looking at improving the character’s appearance along with better customization options

do i hear the sound of 1000 tailors start clapping their floor looms in unison?

i soooo wanna be a part of this.

P.S.

dose that mean i may yet see my pirate hat become reality? \o/

5 hours ago, Ogare said:

This combat business scares me. I like Wurm's casual combat. I know the skilled button-mashing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay) players will demand they receive advantageous rewards for their perceived superior performance. This means those of use who want casual combat will have to play the twitch gamer's way.

So much this. Wurm isn't a twitch game, which is one of the main reasons I play it.  If I need to start memorizing attack sequences and mashing all kinds of buttons just to step outside my deed I may need to hang up my wurm spurs and retire. I do like the idea of an *option* for folks if they feel like they want to be more challenged but they should not receive any different experience or drops because of it.

Edited by SirMuttley
  • Like 4

So many exciting things on the way! Fantastic post Samool! 

6 hours ago, elentari said:

Like the news about the combat overhaul, but may I ask what's going to happen about Epic?

There's a 3rd cluster you know. Just in case anyone forgot. That keeps being ignored for quite a long time now as those playing there are also paying customers, albeit in smaller numbers.

I mean really, I know it's the elephant in the room but any news? Are we moving epic to chaos? Will epic receive any updates ? It's a ghost town there. New players aren't attracted to dead servers.

Good to see someone still is active  on good old epic! 😮 🙂

I think we could use some "really useful" uses for Wool - like, why can't i use wool to make strings and why can't i patch wounds with it? Fo needs to accept is, aswell with a good favor per QL of Wool! Tapestries etc. is just so limited to have around. We just dump wool on the ground and wait for decay so far

Edited by Daryan_AT
  • Like 1

All of it sounds really good to me, well done and best of luck in moving ahead with all these plans! More devs (hopefully paid and hopefully pay for the volunteer devs who do the most work as well) is also possibly the most exciting thing announced here. So happy the Steam launch allows that to be done now. 👍

on note for wilderness exploration

treasure maps? be able to use lockpicking skill to unlock chests

My personal favorite thing would be the introduction of the age of steam, for example with steam boats or steam carts or steam machines that do stuff or so.

Other than that I'd actually already be satisfied if the spawn bug on Harmony would be fixed post haste.

Edited by Wyndolm

Fix the game breaking exploits and bugs that are ruining PVP.

Finally something about combat and PvE! 

PvP:ers complain that there is no focus on PvP, but reality is that the area that has gotten the least attention by far is PvE combat, nothing worth noting there ever, unless it was a change to PvP that also leaked over to PvE. Except new creatures, but it hardly counts since they are all pretty much the same anyway. (I will of course get bashed for this comment since it's likely not 100% accurate, but I still stand by it :) )

It's exciting news indeed. Also a bit scary. The current system does work in a way. It doesn't add much fun but it also doesn't have that much impact on everyday gameplay. There is always a risk that a new system will be more intrusive and scare away some people. But let's hope that is not the case! 

Remember also that PvE combat or PvE activities are not all about the actual fighting, even the current system could be made a lot more fun if there was more variety to where, why and when you choose to fight. Creature dens could be improved and add some fun, more varied and actually usable rewards/loot, rare encounters, more regionally unique creatures, night creatures, swamp creatures, cave creatures, pirates,  mini bosses with minions... the possibilities are endless. I think currently one of the things that makes PvE boring is the complete randomness to creature spawns, seeing a desert full of every possible kind of creature is not really that fun, when every desert and every forest is the same. So, creature spawns is a major contributor to the fun factor.

You also mentioned additions to exploration, sounds very promising!

Overall a great update. Let's hope at least some of it reaches the live server within the coming year.

• Like 1

"we haven’t had a proper summary to the Steam launch yet"

Its been months... You guys have been on autopilot too long.

The gaming community is going to leave you guys in the dust AGAIN if you dont manage to pick up the development pace.

People from our village are dropping like flies.

Glad to hear all of this! 

Sounds like the devs are singing the Suggestion forum's greatest hits... I love playing a game that is actually aware of player feedback. 

Personally, I think I need to see more developed, fleshed-out posts on each future concept before I would feel comfortable diving into discussion, request, and concrit. So I'm keeping my eyes peeled for future updates. For now, thanks to the Wurm crew for all the hard work & I look forward to reading all the glorious forum fights about every little detail to come!! 

~ A 💜

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vedalkin said:

"we haven’t had a proper summary to the Steam launch yet"

Its been months... You guys have been on autopilot too long.

The gaming community is going to leave you guys in the dust AGAIN if you dont manage to pick up the development pace.

People from our village are dropping like flies.

I don't know... I mean.. there's like 15 years of added content for new players to digest, should be enough to keep people around for years. I think if youleave now because of lack of content you will leave anyway because the game is not for you.

The survival of Wurm is about keeping enough players, not keeping everyone. Marketing the game and getting some new players in continuously I think is the right way to do it, most will stick for just a few months but some will stick for a very long time. If you do like this game and the way it is meant to be played you are in it for many years. If not, you can have fun with it for a while and then move on, maybe come back now and then to try out new features. But reality is that Wurm will never be able to keep more than a few percent of the players over a longer period of time, and that is perfectly fine actually.

• Like 6

Thank you for the excellent update report.

It took from when I first suggested it in mid-2013 to December 2019 for Set Sails - Fury Sails speed controls to come in for Boats and Ships with Sail power.

6 years..... but when it finally got here, it gave PvP'ers a new tactic to try out and on both PvP and PvE folks could finally build beautiful harbours without risking a boat in the back yard once a week, from someone trying to dock in a Gale Force wind.

I hope the new improvement which benefit the whole community will not take as long as this one did.

... NO to Skills Decay.  I too would not relish having to regrind a skill each week to keep it up to the high level it took me 8 years to achieve.

... YES to inter Cluster Travel.  I would love to sail over and visit the Steam worlds as a tourist, without having to make yet another avatar.

... and no more TIny Isles in PvE.  They fill up too fast for casual weekend players to have a chance to explore and find a nice place.

Please keep all future additional servers Indy sized at 16km by 16km.  Big enough for a wide variety of terrain without the hideous lag that plagues the 32km by 32km Xanadu.

I am also sure some of the Steam folks would love to come can visit the Castles and other extraordinary sites on the Southern Cluster worlds without having to make a new avatar to do so.

Food for thought!

Cheers!

Hughmongus

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

Edited by HughMongus
added an additional suggestion

15 minutes ago, Torgrim said:

I don't know... I mean.. there's like 15 years of added content for new players to digest, should be enough to keep people around for years.

That doesn't really mean anything.

This isn't like WoW where 15 years of content means multiple expansion packs put together by teams of dozens of people. I came back to this game after playing almost 12 years ago and most of the changes that were made just fleshed out certain skills. Cooking is more complex, carpentry has more items to make, houses can be multiple stories, fishing is...let's not talk about it. But outside of rifts and jackal, which are not in the game, there's really not years worth of content here. You can experience all of the skill changes in the first month easy, since it's part of normal progression. Once you're past that, you're where we are now.

Biggest thing I'd like to see is some dates on this roadmap, otherwise it's more of just a roadsuggestion.

Edited by Sovos

Thanks for this, Samool - there's some really cool stuff in there.

While I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) will welcome the combat improvements - me personally, I'm most excited about docks and animal-keeping improvement (and extra animals) - hardly surprising as more than half of my game is around collecting, breeding and keeping animals in Wurm. Really looking forward to all this being introduced over time.

I'd happily pop in a vote for goats and ducks as mentioned above (or possibly peacocks?), but to be honest, given how much time people spend keeping animals - just anything that adds more variety would be great. I'd love domestic creatures to have breedable colour variants in the way horses do (sheep, cats, dogs and chooks leap to mind - perhaps also cows), and I reckon those of us that keep non-working animals would welcome any more non-monster creatures - beavers, badgers foxes, pandas, mustelids - perhaps tameable gorillas or other monkey family creatures.

Thanks for the update and all the hard work! ❤️

Edited by crimsonearth

I would love to see a new "desert themed" patch. Where trees and bushes like Palms and Cactus can only grow on sand tiles, the introduction of camels that can have a passenger like unicorns. Maybe also some Arabian or Moroccan styled walls.

• Like 4

Would have liked to seen some indication Epic is being thought about. Again, this is 4 servers that new players from STEAM have been going to that are essentially dead and replaced by Defiance. Is there plans to revamp these servers, merge them, close them? 

15 hours ago, Samool said:

a complete account system,

This is the most important work you could possibly do right now.

• Like 1