Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

PvP Changes Feedback

1 hour ago, BrQQQ said:

By that logic, cure serious is OP and 'heal' is pretty crap. If you were to introduce a new spell that worked like cure light, but healed 10% in 5 sec (ie half the values), that'd be significantly more powerful than cure light, as it has a lot more use cases with the short timer. My point is healing per second is not a meaningful balance criteria.

I agree the heals from AoEs should be nerfed, but single target spells and their heal per second should not be used as a reference. 

Cure serious has the Achille's heel of only being able to cure one wound. If it could heal any number of wounds it would, as you stated, be OP.

Heal is, as you mentioned, pretty crap. It's the least usable in-combat healing spell in the game. 30 seconds of cast time is simply unreasonable and I can't see a situation where that gets used in combat. Beyond that, it can only heal at maximum 200% health, which is only 25% more than Light of Fo despite taking twice the time to cast and only affecting one player. Hilariously bad.

A spell that heals for 10% in 5 seconds would be very useful. It would, as you mentioned, be more powerful than Cure Light, since it's simply Cure Light with half the cast timer.

Your point that healing resistance per second is not a meaningful balance criteria is simply wrong. If a spell heals 5% per second, can I reasonably deal 5% damage per second to an enemy target? At what point does a spell begin to out-heal the damage that is being done to the target? So long as the cast times are within a reasonable length (5-15 seconds), then healing done per second of channel time is a very good balance measure and I fail to see any logic by which that is untrue. I'm not implying that it should be the sole measurement or only point of balance - that would be stupid - but it is a useful measurement to determine the strength of a spell.

If single target spells should not be used as a measurement, and healing per second should not be used as a measurement, then what should?

16 minutes ago, Threap said:

I dont think reducing the healing they do is the right way to fix it. If you just reduce the healing at some point it becomes pointless to cast them at all and it lowers the skill cap of pvp, a better way imo would be to actually lower the cast times and let the healing resistance do its job, currently nobody lives long enough for healing resistance to have any effect in large scale pvp.

So 

• Fix the lower initial health pool light of FO so it is less reliant on cast power like Scorn.
  • Give Lib Focus will and Make range of focus will and cure light the same as drain health. ( I would even argue you give these to followers as well )
  • Increase the range of scorn and Lof.
  • Lower the cast times, of all healing spells.
  • Make healing resistance actually be worth something, Perhaps once you are healed for 3x your total HP. you are capped until you have no enemy in local.

This will give pvp a much more rewarding game play and raise the skill cap to pvp. Going the other way so heals are worthless will just lower the skill cap and just reward the team with the most numbers.

Also to further improve pvp, there were changed to combat in general a few years ago which significantly lowered the time to kill a player even on chaos where people wore drake and scale, this just promoted the zerg pvp style were focusing 1 player meant they would die in under 15 seconds, and rended block and parry almost usless in large scale pvp. this sucks in general and removed any chance of staying a live if you where zerged. 

If you think healing 175% to 180% of health on a single spell which allows it to penetrate healing resistance up to 75% and still heal half the target's health is okay, then there's really nothing I can say to you. That's just a flawed view of the current state of healing and I cannot fathom your logic to defend it.

Reducing the healing to the point where it becomes pointless to cast should occur after healing resistance. The values make healing resistance irrelevant. The point of the change is to make the numbers scale in such a way that healing resistance functions properly. The problem that you're seeing isn't that nobody lives long enough for healing resistance to have an effect, it's the fact that healing resistance doesn't function on the BL side because Scorn heals for so freaking much that even with 15 minute resistance it basically heals someone up to full.

• Increasing the lower end of Light of Fo is absolutely not the right choice. It heals so many wounds that even if you do 5% health per wound, it's going to have a significant impact. The problem is how much healing is done, not how little. No increase to the lower end of Light of Fo. We should be working these AoE spells down in power until they're balanced, not up.
  • Higher range on cure spells would be okay, but only a few tiles. If you make it sniper mode like Drain Health, then people will start pre-casting heals on horses from afar when a player goes in to dehorse an enemy. This would create a very toxic environment where WL will basically destroy BL every time if they play correctly because there's nothing BL can do to prevent this tactic. It's a no-go.
  • Increasing the range of Scorn and LoF is just a neutral change that doesn't really solve any problems.
  • Lowering the cast times of all healing spells would make it even more toxic to play against, as it would reduce the time players had to tangleweave or interrupt these casts. At that point, it would be - similar to how it already is - a battle of who had more priests to cast the heals.
  • Healing resistance actually works really well but the problem is spells are too potent to make it function properly. This is the problem that reducing the potency of Scorn and LoF would solve. When a player has 15 minute healing resistance, they should be hardly getting healed. Instead, with Scorn and Light of Fo, they can still heal for half their health! It's stupid, it's overtuned, and it needs to get nerfed.

The goal here isn't to remove healing from PvP. Right now, the state of the game is that it's all about healing spells. The idea would be to move it closer to the center, where healing is valuable, but not the only thing that matters.

The problem with drain health isn't how much it damages or heals. It's the fact that it is only used as a ranged, super short cast time single target spell to slow horses. Slowing and killing horses is one of the biggest factors that contribute to winning a fight. Nobody else has a 2 second decently ranged guaranteed way to slow a horse. You can't counter it. Its super low favor too. It's pretty crazy actually.

I think making it a longer cast time, more favor and let it drain a lot more and heal a lot more too.

Right now it's just being treated as a spammy way to slow horses with no way to counteract it.

Can we please remove grave stones?
They are dumb and only helps the bigger force!

3 hours ago, Darklords said:

Whats the main issues you have with them?

As far as spells go we will be doing a dedicated thread with proposed changes and discussion for spell changes soon.

promotes zerg, couples scenarios

1. you get a few kills on people that are out of position, but you're outnumbered 2 to 1 and can't loot because of numbers

2. you get quite a few kills literally 30 tiles away from an enemy deed, but can't get loot due to numbers because they've respawned on deed, regeared, rehorsed and just push you away and reloot everything, including your own kingdoms graves

3. you get a nice fight between two kingdoms somewhere, yet you don't have enough time to loot anything due to grave timers because theres 30 nerds with red phones next to their beds awaiting a death tab/someone to tell them a fight is about to happen and where its at, you get no loot

4. you manage to snag a quick kill in the middle of a 10v15 right off of your own deed, you get no loot due to the fact that you can't keep the pressure in order to loot

whos to say the winner in a scenario where you manage a kill in a 10v15 but can't loot due to being outnumbered while losing nobody is just the kingdom with the most players?

i really shouldn't have to add anymore scenarios here, the loot system was unanimously unsupported on epic by anyone that didn't have the upper hand on numbers, and it carried over in an even worse fashion onto defiance

35 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

If you think healing 175% to 180% of health on a single spell which allows it to penetrate healing resistance up to 75% and still heal half the target's health is okay, then there's really nothing I can say to you. That's just a flawed view of the current state of healing and I cannot fathom your logic to defend it.

Thats only the first heal, healing resistance is applied to the healing pool after that, The idea is its possible to heal the player the first time back to full, second heal might do half to 75% of their HP, 3rd barely anything 4th nothing as they are capped on heal resist. So its possible to keep someone alive for a little while using skill, thus helping push pvp to where skill wins not numbers.

Going the other way just makes healing virtually pointless, players already dying in 20-30 seconds if they are focused, whats the point of a 15 second cast that heals them for 20% of their HP. it makes heals worthless and pvp will be less about any sort of skill and all about the zerg. 

11 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

promotes zerg, couples scenarios

1. you get a few kills on people that are out of position, but you're outnumbered 2 to 1 and can't loot because of numbers

2. you get quite a few kills literally 30 tiles away from an enemy deed, but can't get loot due to numbers because they've respawned on deed, regeared, rehorsed and just push you away and reloot everything, including your own kingdoms graves

3. you get a nice fight between two kingdoms somewhere, yet you don't have enough time to loot anything due to grave timers because theres 30 nerds with red phones next to their beds awaiting a death tab/someone to tell them a fight is about to happen and where its at, you get no loot

4. you manage to snag a quick kill in the middle of a 10v15 right off of your own deed, you get no loot due to the fact that you can't keep the pressure in order to loot

whos to say the winner in a scenario where you manage a kill in a 10v15 but can't loot due to being outnumbered while losing nobody is just the kingdom with the most players?

i really shouldn't have to add anymore scenarios here, the loot system was unanimously unsupported on epic by anyone that didn't have the upper hand on numbers, and it carried over in an even worse fashion onto defiance

i think a much lower timer will be better, like 10-15 second would be fine. The main thing that graves stop is the corpse snatching where all that matters is using potato settings so you don't get the falling animation and having a low ping means you get the corpse every time. it just needs to be long enough so people cant grab the corpse while on a horse and ride off with the loot. The same problem still exists for horse gear, people who play with potato settings pick up the horse corpse before people with normal settings even see the corpse client side.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Threap said:

Thats only the first heal, healing resistance is applied to the healing pool after that, The idea is its possible to heal the player the first time back to full, second heal might do half to 75% of their HP, 3rd barely anything 4th nothing as they are capped on heal resist. So its possible to keep someone alive for a little while using skill, thus helping push pvp to where skill wins not numbers.

Going the other way just makes healing virtually pointless, players already dying in 20-30 seconds if they are focused, whats the point of a 15 second cast that heals them for 20% of their HP. it makes heals worthless and pvp will be less about any sort of skill and all about the zerg. 

Clearly it's not well understood how the healing resistance works.

Injure someone to 50% health. Heal them with Scorn which heals them completely. They now have 5 minutes of healing resistance.

Injure them to 50% health again. Heal them with Scorn. 180% * 0.75 = 135%. They are healed completely. They now have 10 minutes of healing resistance.

Injure them to 50% health again. Heal them with Scorn. 180% * 0.5 = 90%. They are healed completely. They now have 15 minutes of healing resistance.

Injure them to 50% health again. Heal them with Scorn. 180% * 0.25 = 45%. They are healed to 95% health. They now have 20 minutes of healing resistance.

2 minutes pass. They have 18 minutes of healing resistance.

Injure them to 50% health again. Heal them with Scorn. 180% * 0.1 = 18%. They are healed to 68% health.

If you really think that someone with 75% healing resistance built up should be getting basically full healed from half HP, then your view of healing in general is simply warped and there's nothing further I can say to correct it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

Huh? On Epic anyone could loot a corpse immediately after it dropped. Epic changed it so that you were blocked by enemy's presence to loot/pickup corpses because they were tired of ninja-looting where essentially where one side would win a fight but lose a ton of gear. This helps prevent that. There's no unanimous agreement on anything here. This is the first time honestly in 3 months it even seems to be addressed and it's really just more salt from the same individuals after every fight. 

10 minutes ago, Threap said:

i think a much lower timer will be better, like 10-15 second would be fine. The main thing that graves stop is the corpse snatching where all that matters is using potato settings so you don't get the falling animation and having a low ping means you get the corpse every time. it just needs to be long enough so people cant grab the corpse while on a horse and ride off with the loot. The same problem still exists for horse gear, people who play with potato settings pick up the horse corpse before people with normal settings even see the corpse client side.

I used very poor setting and i can’t take lol. in battles near deed jk, I generally had an out of sync with a delay of 3-6 seconds

Edited by Babuly

@scorn topic fully agreed though i prefer making scorn/lof stay good and implementing a very hard cooldown for how often they can affect the same player, rather than nerfing them down.

@graves topic

So, here's my take on graves
1. They heavily support defender's advantage: This is sort of moot between JK/MR because you guys decided to move everyone in your kingdom to BL's doorstep, but normally gravestones favor the defending kingdom during attacks/raids- Every kill you get is another 1 minute you need to spend grabbing their loot- both enemy and ally. This heavily increases the time you need to spend in enemy territory, which in turn allows them to regear and come back and fight you again, weakened and possibly without horses. Each body you loot is another risk, and that's not even considering the weight if you do loot.

2. They prevent really lame plays with mag priests: I've already seen it happen but grabbing a corpse mid-combat and securing it is pretty lame, but it's especially more lame when you might completely obliterate the enemy and yet they rolled their 35% chance and now get to keep everything that they took because of, literally, rng. I personally hate the mag priest res-stone entirely and think it should be removed, but w/e. This already happens and has happened several times with horse gear.

I do think that this issue lends itself to another problem though, in my eyes, and that's simply my opinion that horses are, in general, too bloody fast. Two of the biggest weaknesses of being in a large group is disorganization and travel time- however, with horses being able to traverse the entire map in a matter of minutes at their speeds, it makes large distances next to meaningless- and also makes it much easier to pull off baits when you can have people a local over enter combat quickly.

there is no winner in this situation? losing one person isn't a loss, nor should it mean anyone is gaurenteed the loot lol; not to mention that it's not at all hard to just shoot the guy looting every now and then to cancel his action- if you can't keep the pressure here, the blame's entirely on you.

That said, the problem you guys are facing right now is frankly a side effect of you all placing your deeds adjacent to ours. Naturally the enemy is going to be able to regear and show back up when they can spawn a local away from where they died lol, and at that point it's just a numbers game. Completely different story when it comes to roams in MR

Overall, I like graves; I even wish there was something like that you could do for horses (maybe make horsegear not drop until it's butchered etc)

Edited by RainRain

34 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Clearly it's not well understood how the healing resistance works.

You are not the only person able to decompile some java and see how stuff works bro, I suggested fixing resistance as well in my original reply:-

2 hours ago, Threap said:

Make healing resistance actually be worth something, Perhaps once you are healed for 3x your total HP. you are capped until you have no enemy in local.

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

If you really think that someone with 75% healing resistance built up should be getting basically full healed from half HP, then your view of healing in general is simply warped and there's nothing further I can say to correct it.

Also I literally said how I think it should work in the post you replied to, yet you reply suggesting I am saying something completely different, either you are not reading and digesting posts before you reply or you are intentionally poopooing ideas from other factions.

2 hours ago, Zao said:

The problem with drain health isn't how much it damages or heals. It's the fact that it is only used as a ranged, super short cast time single target spell to slow horses. Slowing and killing horses is one of the biggest factors that contribute to winning a fight. Nobody else has a 2 second decently ranged guaranteed way to slow a horse. You can't counter it. Its super low favor too. It's pretty crazy actually.

Right now it's just being treated as a spammy way to slow horses with no way to counteract it.

Why do I keep seeing this posted by JK and MR?
I must be missing some inside joke to hear it echoed so many times.

4QmZtlT.png
this is drain health damage on a horse.
it has a 3 second cast.

if this spell is losing you fights (its not), try shooting a horse with a bow and decent skill and compare the damage.
if 5 seconds isn't justifiable for the damage done compared to drain health, try throwing some 50ql weapons(++if they are RT) at a horse and see how much that does. (instant)

you'll quickly realize this is a non-factor for the argument it's being used for.
Definitely a top spell, but I don't know why people are complaining about it being used on horses.
WL's single targets (shard of ice does like 25-35%) are arguably better in most cases in the situations that people are whining about.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.

Edited by Groot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Groot said:

4QmZtlT.png
it has a 3 second cast.

if this spell is losing you fights (its not), try shooting a horse with a bow and decent skill and compare the damage.
if 5 seconds isn't justifiable for the damage done compared to drain health, try throwing some 50ql weapons(++if they are RT) at a horse and see how much that does. (instant)

you'll quickly realize this is a non-factor for the argument it's being used for.
Definitely a top spell, but I don't know why people are complaining about it being used on horses.
WL's single targets (shard of ice does like 25-35%) are arguably better in most cases in the situations that people are whining about.

You can miss with a short bow and glance you can't with drain health. 100% hit chance and also 3 seconds faster then a quick shot short bow. And from chev video last night the range is insane. Issue is being able to put a player/horse on hurting status and Wl having no 3sec spell counter

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Cure serious has the Achille's heel of only being able to cure one wound. If it could heal any number of wounds it would, as you stated, be OP.

Heal is, as you mentioned, pretty crap. It's the least usable in-combat healing spell in the game. 30 seconds of cast time is simply unreasonable and I can't see a situation where that gets used in combat. Beyond that, it can only heal at maximum 200% health, which is only 25% more than Light of Fo despite taking twice the time to cast and only affecting one player. Hilariously bad.

A spell that heals for 10% in 5 seconds would be very useful. It would, as you mentioned, be more powerful than Cure Light, since it's simply Cure Light with half the cast timer.

Your point that healing resistance per second is not a meaningful balance criteria is simply wrong. If a spell heals 5% per second, can I reasonably deal 5% damage per second to an enemy target? At what point does a spell begin to out-heal the damage that is being done to the target? So long as the cast times are within a reasonable length (5-15 seconds), then healing done per second of channel time is a very good balance measure and I fail to see any logic by which that is untrue. I'm not implying that it should be the sole measurement or only point of balance - that would be stupid - but it is a useful measurement to determine the strength of a spell.

If single target spells should not be used as a measurement, and healing per second should not be used as a measurement, then what should?

The balance is dependent on the cast timer, favor cost, difficulty, range, if you can heal specific wounds, if it can heal multiple wounds, if you can heal others (players or horses) with it, cooldown and general practical use cases.

That's why, despite the massive difference in heal per second compared to AoEs, cure light is still incredibly powerful and practical. It's why cure serious is often less useful, despite having much higher heal per second. It's why even though drain health has the same heal per second to cure light according to your numbers, drain health is almost entirely useless for healing and is almost exclusively used for fast damage. When you compare all these spells by their heal per second value, you get no meaningful information about how good or practical they are. That's why you can't use it as a balancing metric. It is as silly as saying WA is better than BotD because WA costs less favor.

All these Healing resistance changes are just bandaids, all it's doing is making stronger toons stronger due to the fact that x healing is way more powerful on them than a weaker toon, and the fact that healing resistance overcapping isn't really a thing means that you scorn/lof to 20 minutes healing resistance, wait 5 minutes, then get another one and its still healing 20-40% health. I know sotg isn't on new servers but you've said you're open to bringing the 11 paths back, but all it does is further enforce that you need to be x strength with sotg and mm armor and all that garbage because if you're not you'll get dunked for 50% health and then you're heal resistant for the next 20 minutes, if someone even bothers to heal you just to watch you get two tapped later on. Bring lof/scorn power down, reduce healing resistance for single healing spells, make healing resistance based off base health healed not after sotg and strength modifiers (if my strength reduces damage by 40%, my healing resistance should go up 40% faster too, so if a 10 wound is reduced to 6 and i heal it, i should get the same amount of healing resistance as a weakling who got hit for 10 and healed it, if i'm sotg or or continuum'd or whatever same thing). Strength and resistances directly increasing both your effective maximum health and the amount you can heal by exponentially is stupid as hell.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

1 hour ago, Groot said:

4QmZtlT.png
it has a 3 second cast.

This issue with drain health, always has been, and currently is not the damage, but the range vs hurting status on a horse. It doesn't just enough to slow down a full speed horse more than enough to get caught up to and basically hard kill a horse. It's far better for me to literally sit there for 3 seconds to cast drain health like 10+ tiles vs me using a bow. What'll happen? I'll maybe just fail casting it... but the reality of it is. It's a spell that basically pierces through armor and puts either that character/horse in hurting status immediately. While other people who use bows will glance or just flat out miss with even 90 archery deeming it pointless. Oh, and you also have absolutely no time to react to the spell being casted or can't even get out of range unless you're already standing behind a hill...

tldr; it's the complete best engage spell in the game right now. severely broken range for what the original intent of the spell was being a defensive spell like drain stam, and the range being very short for the timer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Threap said:

i'd agree with a 10-15second trial, I just don't think 1 minute is working atm

• Like 1

I don't think you're going to be happy until every spell BL uses is going to become useless, Carmichael. You're trying to change the game to work for your strategy. When your enemies have a counter to your strategy, you just want it nerfed. Last night's example is that you guys want to do a spear hit and run, but it backfires because your horse is slown down. Instead of rethinking your strategy, you want the spell that caused your strategy to fail to be nerfed. It isn't the spell that's the problem, it's you. Meanwhile several of our horses were shot down, either to death or nearly to death, but you don't see people complaining about archery being OP.

One minute for gravestones is perfect IMO. Epic's anti loot with enemies nearby was also very good. It adds a very fun depth to the game, because people have to hold their ground and fight instead of run through a battle and run away.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BrQQQ said:

I don't think you're going to be happy until every spell BL uses is going to become useless, Carmichael. You're trying to change the game to work for your strategy. When your enemies have a counter to your strategy, you just want it nerfed. Last night's example is that you guys want to do a spear hit and run, but it backfires because your horse is slown down. Instead of rethinking your strategy, you want the spell that caused your strategy to fail to be nerfed. It isn't the spell that's the problem, it's you. Meanwhile several of our horses were shot down, either to death or nearly to death, but you don't see people complaining about archery being OP.

One minute for gravestones is perfect IMO. Epic's anti loot with enemies nearby was also very good. It adds a very fun depth to the game, because people have to hold their ground and fight instead of run through a battle and run away.

No, it's just key spells that are obviously not okay. And to getting your horses shot down. Either A. Put a barding on or B. Grind Archery. Simple. I don't have the option to quick cast your horses to a hurting status and engage and dehorse you. So yes I'm going to complain with my above stated reasons. Because I don't think it's good that you don't have to even consider grinding archery because you can simply just drain health my horse and ride up to me instead. While I have to grind my archery to sit at a 4-5 second timer and GLANCE/MISS shots. While drain health is a guaranteed hit and instaslow.

Edited by Carmichael

2 minutes ago, BrQQQ said:

you're fighting from the kingdom that literally never has a problem pulling 1.5 to 2 times numbers, you would take a 45 minute timer because it benefits you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Threap said:

Agree. I like the idea of gravestone but it was kinda just randomly implemented at steam launch I think it needs to be tone down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

No, it's just key spells that are obviously not okay. And to getting your horses shot down. Either A. Put a barding on or B. Grind Archery. Simple. I don't have the option to quick cast your horses to a hurting status and engage and dehorse you. So yes I'm going to complain with my above stated reasons. Because I don't think it's good that you don't have to even consider grinding archery because you can simply just drain health my horse and ride up to me instead. While I have to grind my archery to sit at a 4-5 second timer and GLANCE/MISS shots. While drain health is a guaranteed hit and instaslow.

lmao

2 hours ago, Groot said:

4QmZtlT.png
it has a 3 second cast.

Hey bud if you are going to put in your two cents. Log in the game.