Sign in to follow this  
Faerian

Forester for deed to prevent sprouts replanting

I propose a forester as a buyable npc (like merchants, traders, wagoners) that does a very simple thing. Allow you to toggle sprouts planting themselves on your deed. 

Of course, one could elaborate that further, but for me at least that very simple functionality would be worth a few silver (could also cost upkeep like spirit templars, maybe based on deed size).

Generally, "No" to NPCs performing stuff that can wait until the player is online to do it.  There are other mechanisms for this, paving, hedges, lawns and beyond that a bit of hatchet-work on saplings.  A groundsman is probably not really needed as an NPC ( and he would probably want a tractor, anyway).

What server are you on?  As a PC I could come do some odd jobs for you 🙂.

Well, that's certainly a valid point and comes down to a different opinion on what the game is about. 

My point, basically, is the following: 

1) my playtime is limited

2) I want my deed to look nice and trees planting themselves are in the way of that. 

3) Taking care of that takes time I would be willing to spend if I had nothing else to do. I prefer to spend my limited time on other things though, not what my subjective opinion marks as "chores". There's enough of that in real life, don't need that in a game.

4) So, while I understand the point that everything that can be done should be done by players, it is not something i agree with. 

I of course accept the point of view that with limited resources you cannot have everything (in this case, it means i will have the sprouts there because I don't care enough) but frankly, I see no harm done in making tedious chores easier for players willing to support the game with silver. There is ample examples of much more impactful benefits money gives you in game, like sleep bonus for money, levelling love to 11 then switching to knowledge, magical chests, etc.. 

Addendum: what it boils down to is subjective opinion, in part about what the game should be about, in part about how money is allowed to affect in-game activities. So please take that suggestion simply as something I would like to have, would be willing to pay for and don't see any harm done to the economy or other players (it's basically cosmetic).

This is quite interesting.

I understand, that you have trees on or near your deed, you don't want the trees sprouting, and you would be prepared to pay to stop them.

A large perimeter of steppe or sand will currently prevent sprouts travelling onto your deed, but if you have trees or bushes already on your deed, there is currently no way to prevent them sprouting.

Understandably, a lot of people tend to see NPC's as 'real-player replacements' - worried they are going to take our jobs, or reduce the playable features of the game. It's a fair point.

We're all always on the lookout for features that can provide work for other players, or otherwise boost the economy.

With a few changes, the sprout-free result could be achieved in a number of ways - not necessarily involving an NPC.

One idea could be applying some tar-based material or buying some specially manufactured liquid which can be applied to the trees to stop them sprouting, perhaps for a year or some period of time.

Another idea could be to 'treat' the specific lawn areas you don't want to be affected by sprouts for a period of time, using a similar crafted liquid preparation.

Another idea could be buying or crafting a planted object such as a garden ornament  with an area of affect which inhibits tree sprout growth.

I think if these checks only apply to deeded tiles, it would provide the environment the deedholder requires.  It would not get in the way of the natural grow-back of abandoned deeds and wild areas and would not have any long-lasting negative impact.

I love your suggestions. That would work quite the same way and fit more into the "produce something to achieve something" way of wurm. 

• Like 1