Sign in to follow this  
Wyndolm

[Under Investigation] Harmony Animal Spawns Bugged

I'm living in the North at D15 on Harmony (Barlow's Port). In the beginning there were usually way too many spawns/animals. But since the spawns got "fixed" it seems there are no more or only very little spawns. I haven't seen a single wild horse, bison, cow/bull, hell horse at all for days if not weeks now. I visited a large steppe area today which should be crowded from horses, hell horses, bisons but nada. Not a single animal. I don't have too much of a problem with that since i breed that stuff anyway but whats a new player supposed to do? On my 2 hour exploration trip i found 2 spiders to kill. Prolly the last 2 (not anymore) living spiders in the NW corner of the map. Should be fixed.

Bump!

I'm having the same experiences. I've been playing since launch and never seen a wild cow, bison or hell horse for example and I live really close to a big desert AND steppe area...

Lately I also been hunting some agressive mobs in the desert (crocs, spiders and scorps mostly) and I feel like they don't respawn? The desert and steppe areas are completely empty... 

During the last month, the number of aggressive creatures actually halved, from 12k max to 6k. That cant be intentional

A further observation, on patchday last week, there was a slight increase in aggressives, and since then it has only been going down. It seems as if there are no new creatures spawning at all?

8 hours ago, Faerian said:

A further observation, on patchday last week, there was a slight increase in aggressives, and since then it has only been going down. It seems as if there are no new creatures spawning at all?

Yes thats my observation too, there are no spawns at all. On my 2 hour exploration trip today i found only 1 - in words: ONE - mob to kill.

We're quickly running out of aggro creatures: https://harmony.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Max                     Average             Current
Aggressive Creatures count:         12 k creatures      9858 creatures  5409 creatures
Total Creatures count:                    42 k creatures       38 k creatures    34 k creatures

I haven't checked every single server, but this problem seems to be unique to harmony, which is the really weird part. Cadence, Melody, Defiance, Celebration, and Independence are all respawning creatures properly. To put into perspective, Melody, a map 1/4 the area of harmony, has 1/2 the deeds of Harmony (double the deed density in count/area), but has even more total aggressive creatures than Harmony right now. 

Edited by Arronicus

10 hours ago, Arronicus said:

We're quickly running out of aggro creatures: https://harmony.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Max                     Average             Current
Aggressive Creatures count:         12 k creatures      9858 creatures  5409 creatures
Total Creatures count:                    42 k creatures       38 k creatures    34 k creatures

I haven't checked every single server, but this problem seems to be unique to harmony, which is the really weird part. Cadence, Melody, Defiance, Celebration, and Independence are all respawning creatures properly. To put into perspective, Melody, a map 1/4 the area of harmony, has 1/2 the deeds of Harmony (double the deed density in count/area), but has even more total aggressive creatures than Harmony right now. 

Probably just a typo in the setup for Harmony, like 1000 instead of 10000 aggro creatures. Would be easy to fix if someone cared to look ...

Honestly, this has been said before, but denying hunting to an entire server (one of the new ones even, where a good impression is even more important for player retention) is kind of in a different league than a pile where shift dragging leaves an item on the ground. It would be nice if these important issues at least receive a nod like "oh, that's important, we are looking into it". This issue is four days old now and visible in the logs for 6 or 7. 

• Like 1

More observations on the creature graph, server restart once again brought a small respawn (about 500 or so and almost instantaneously ) and now they are dropping again.

Creature count is still declining. We are down to 5300 mobs and rapidly declining. Barely any wild mobs visible.

it's almost a week now and no official reaction. For a bug that affects everyone who wants to hunt on Harmony. Not even an we are aware of it. Welcome to wurm...

Hi everyone. 

Rest assured,  We are aware of the lack of respawning creatures, and we are looking into it. 

It seems to be a harmony specific issue as other servers are fine, so it's a little more confusing, but we are actively working on it! 

I will try get more information over the weekend 

• Like 1

Bump +1 I live in Q-20 area by a desert, i have an active croc lair and haven't seen one in about a week now. i have to hit forest over 200 tiles away in hopes of scrounging up anything. is this the notorious north west migration coding in effect again?

no, if you look at the creature graph linked above, it is clearly simply the amount of creatures. They dont respawn at all. 

To that end, when you look closely at the graph, you'll notice that whenever the server restarts, whatever mechanism spawns creatures starts working for a short time, then stops. Quite frankly, this issue has been persisting since mid of September and according to Retro, he wanted to "try to get more information over the weekend" (last weekend). So, 4 weeks after the issue started. I find it hard to believe (I do have 20 years background in software engineering) that a bug like that is so hard to find...and for a large percentage of the population on Harmony, it is a very critical issue.

So, long story short, please at least let us know what's happening.

Edited by Faerian

Defiance animal spawns are down as well now. I can only speak to MR territory but I see a fraction of what ive seen before the mobpocolypse. 

22 minutes ago, Zao said:

Defiance animal spawns are down as well now. I can only speak to MR territory but I see a fraction of what ive seen before the mobpocolypse. 

https://defiance.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Still up, but we've noticed unusual clustering compared to 2 weeks ago. For instance, the desert/steppe area near J-17 has 1 or 2 mobs on every tile even though we constantly kill them. They respawn faster than a group of 5 can kill them. Other areas that used to be teeming with life are now vacant.

bump+1 there are zero anything in my desert or anywhere for that matter.....im reduced to fishing...ugh

Fishing comes next. Glad I have enough animals for breeding so that i have meat from culling my herds. Yet I'm not surprised that the decline of player base is currently as epic as the loss of animals ...

The tile per aggressive creature ratio of this server is 3809.52.  This is a good figure. 

Harmony in a few days:

OrkUACO.jpg

It's already pretty safe. I did a big tour from the NW coast (d15, Barlow's Port) down to Harmony Bay and back home along the big western canal on sunday. The only creature i killed was a black bear. Other than that there was NOTHING. If I'd be a new player I'd rage quit when i notice there is nothing to hunt, breed, ride which are major wurm game mechanics. I handed out 24 furs to players yesterday. Not to mention all the animals i gave away to starters in our ally just to keep them in. Not sure whats declining faster, critter count or player count. DO SOMETHING!

If you look at the announcement forum, they'll have an update next Friday. It IS ridiculous.