Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Pilings and Piers

This is something that's long overdue, and should not be too difficult considering that bridges already exist.

Piling

• This is a heavy, rounded, wooden pole that may be sunk into the water. 
  • A player can craft a Piling from a felled tree using a hatchet. The pilling will weigh ~90% of the weight of the tree, the remainder being turned into wood scraps.
  • A piling may be painted using Tar. Up to four Tar will be needed, depending on the weight of the piling.
  • Pilings can be stored in bulk storage containers. Unpainted pilings and painted pilings will be stored separately.
  • A Piling can be Planted on a tile corner that is below sea level.
  • The weight of the piling limits the depth at which it may be planted. At the upper limit, a 160kg piling may be planted in water 40 dirt deep. If a piling is bigger than needed, any excess wood will be left in the player's inventory in the form of a smaller piling.
  • After planting, the piling will protrude above sea level to a height of about 15 dirt.
  • After planting, a lantern may be attached to the piling.
  • A planted piling will decay in one Wurm month to one year (depending on quality) if not tarred. A tarred piling will last ten times longer.
  • Planted pilings may be repaired or improved using Tar.
  • A tile corner with a piling planted cannot be terraformed.

Pier

• This is a flat wooden deck, held up by pilings.
  • Piers will sit 5 dirt above sea level.
  • Containers and decorative items may be planted on piers.
  • Floorboards may be made into a pier on any tile that has a piling planted on each corner.
  • Floorboards may also be made into a pier ramp, on any tile that has pilings planted on two adjacent corners and two corners that are 5 dirt above sea level.
  • A player in a boat may Disembark onto a pier.
  • A player who is Climbing may climb onto a pier from the water.
  • Piers decay at twice the rate of pilings.
Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 9

I like this idea. Piers would be a great add for waterfront areas, deeds and/or public marketplaces. 

48 minutes ago, Bakhita said:

I like this idea. Piers would be a great add for waterfront areas, deeds and/or public marketplaces. 

And pilings can be used to mark safe/dredged channels in shallow water, whether or not you attach lanterns that are painted red and green 🙂

This fits really, really well with something I want to build in Wurm...  I wish we could do it...

• Like 1

I love this idea - would certainly allow for more interesting marinas and boat areas :)   +100