Sign in to follow this  
Taramill

Meditation help

two exquisite rugs, QL 50ish. Med skill 25

I know about the cooldown 30 minutes and after 5 it goes to 3 hours. BUT

I have yet to see more than two Med ticks in a play session... this has been going on for weeks.

I have two toons, both love, identical skill. One will get a tick, the other will spend an hour and not get anything.

This morning both, 15-20 meditations.. no tick for either and it has been over 12 hours since I mediated. I think I have gone from 24-25 skill in two weeks... ridiculous  

I am wasting all my SB on useless meditations.

Seems all I do is run from rug to rug.. not a great way to play a game...

If this is intended this is ###### mechanics

you dont seem to understand how it works. after you reach 20 skill you get 1 attempt to gain skill every 30 minutes, you cant keep trying, either you get skill or you dont, then you wait 30 minutes and do it again. doing it 20 times  this morning doesnt make sense.

Try with 1QL regular meditation rug  with a high coc/botd, not exquisite

While the hint with the low ql and high CoC/BotD rug is certainly good for higher skill gain per tick, it does nothing for tick occurrence which is plain RNG caused.

And you are doing something wrong when losing any amount of sleep bonus on meditating.

I (and my alts, if logged on) use to meditate when I start playing, on a high CoC low ql rug. I invoke repair once having fallen into trance in order to avoid forgetting and ruining the rug. Once I get into the last 10 seconds of the 2 minutes timer, I invoke SB, and stop after end of meditation or at most end of repair (mostly that on my main char due to his high repair skill). That way, I may spend a minute of SB on all possible attempts per day.

Check your skill once you finished meditation. There are three possible outcomes: meditation gain (tick), soul/soul depth gain (normally when no tick), nothing (no tick, possibly 20 minutes/3 hrs not elapsed yet, but also possible outcome at valid chance window, especially at higher skill).

Anyway, your chance will be gone, no tick chance until the next 30 min/3hrs period begins, except you did not switch the 10 tiles (and are inside the 24hrs uptime period). There is no point to repeat more than at most 8 times a day. 

42 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

While the hint with the low ql and high CoC/BotD rug is certainly good for higher skill gain per tick, it does nothing for tick occurrence which is plain RNG caused.

Always felt like low QL rug doesn't do anything about higher skill gain but increases chance for a skill gain, but might been just convinient for me RNG all this time. Hope someone else will come up with more relevant info

Your rug ql is too high. In order to gain a skill tick, the hidden roll needs to be between 1 and 40. Since you are using a high ql rug, then you are probably hitting higher rolls more often. Try a 20ql rug. Also exquisite rugs increase the chance of a higher roll. I’d recommend a regular one.

Using https://www.dreamsleeve.org/wurm/grinder/ I did a few tests and found that it’s not actually going to make much of a difference if you use a 20ql vs a 50ql. Seems the best case scenario is you have just over a 50% chance to get a tick. So RNG has been unlucky for you so far, but you should expect on average about 2.5 skill gains per 5 meditations.