Sign in to follow this  
sweatygopher

New town?

I'm going to be blunt.  Our town (The Settlement) has gone from 140 people, to 10.  The pop is dieing, and I don't want to quit wurm just yet.  So my town has been discussing merging.

I'm not sure how many other people are in the same boat and would like to merg into one big town.  I thought an open discussion would be good.  The population has dropped a lot and I miss having people to play with.

With the freedom to create what we desire, human kind's natural urge to control, and the comfort from leading from our chairs... you will find most people will be in towns/settlements with populations of 1.  Some have alts making that number grow.  Groups of friends or small families will be in small towns.  Typically, though, outside of pvp servers most people just don't stay villager for long.

I have 1 main, 1 priest, and 4 alts, and I own 4 deeds across 2 servers, and technically am in another deed I rarely seem to have time to visit.  Just a typical example I'd guess.

I think most new players will join a town for the help and direction they offer, but once their feet are pointing straight and they have some days behind them they tend to venture off and create their own homes.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, sweatygopher said:

I'm going to be blunt.  Our town (The Settlement) has gone from 140 people, to 10.  The pop is dieing, and I don't want to quit wurm just yet.  So my town has been discussing merging.

I'm not sure how many other people are in the same boat and would like to merg into one big town.  I thought an open discussion would be good.  The population has dropped a lot and I miss having people to play with.

That seems ... unlikely?

How do you merge two villages?

Just abandon one?

Edited by Andru

that's what alliances are for. To have more people to talk and collaborate with without having to disband a deed. 

• Like 2

If you like the game, don't quit. 

Villagers come and go, and there's more to the game than just being around other players.

Ten is not a bad number for a village, especially if everyone is active.

• Like 1

agreed, 10 seems reasonable,  people tend to quit or go MIA, especialy with new server launches, people lose interested, real life needs em etc..

having a active core group is always good to have, 10 is far more then the average village has or had on the old cluster.

just keep on recruiting, join a active alliance, having a active core group will ensure  others are less inclined to quit too, atleast thats what ive experienced in the 14 years of playing wurm

I was surrounded by deeds, now they are dropping like flies.  I had hopes for engaging communication about where the game was going from here.  Just something to look forward to that would keep people excited and wanting to play.  But lack of information has killed it for most.   

3 hours ago, Ascorbic said:

I was surrounded by deeds, now they are dropping like flies.  I had hopes for engaging communication about where the game was going from here.  Just something to look forward to that would keep people excited and wanting to play.  But lack of information has killed it for most.   

I feel sympathetic to you for losing active people around you, but people generally don't stop playing due to "lack of information". Unfortunately, wurm has always suffered from people dropping out of the game after people managed to claim a deed, build a house or two. After the obvious tasks for people familiar to survival type games and the excitement has settled, the game changes. The player is no longer guided by survival, but they need to carve a path for themselves based on their fantasies.

I think that's the point where most players seem to decide to stop playing.

53 minutes ago, Kelebeth said:

I feel sympathetic to you for losing active people around you, but people generally don't stop playing due to "lack of information". Unfortunately, wurm has always suffered from people dropping out of the game after people managed to claim a deed, build a house or two. After the obvious tasks for people familiar to survival type games and the excitement has settled, the game changes. The player is no longer guided by survival, but they need to carve a path for themselves based on their fantasies.

I think that's the point where most players seem to decide to stop playing.

Maybe it is just me that's always checking the news of games to see what's coming to give me excitement about the future of the game.  That is entirely possible, but lack of news and dwindling players is making me lose interest again.

PVP is the exact opposite, its as many people crammed into as small of a deed as possible and i wouldn't want it any other way.

Hi, we are the settlement of Moenia at P/Q 18/19 and have been growing our alliance stronger everyday, where are you located? We are in the same boat, but numbers are starting to pump up again, currently 18 online with our alliance with many more online at other parts of the day! If you wanted to join the alliance let us know :)