Sign in to follow this  
Pelegandromn

Surface Mining

Okay so I know this is simple or irrelevant for most, but I have five screen shots showing my progress and problem.

The LARGE dirt diamond is going to suck me up like an anchovy if I keep digging but I have to get to rock to complete the four squares of Rock... so I can 'mine' in or on the center tile corner. Probably the last screen shot.

I simply asked in the beginning if I was doing something wrong to get into this predicament, or if such extreme excavation is normal for surface mining.

I'm gonna post this cause I'm here - there doesn't appear to be a means to browse to my Images.

Alright so have no idea what Imigur is ...hosting sight etc. I'll work it out. Thanks

https://imgbb.com/

upload your picture 1 by 1 there, then copy the link and paste that link to the image on forum post. Have to do it individually for each image. Thats pretty much how we all post pictures in forum

Edited by Skatyna

I think I understand your problem. Unfortunately, the only solutions are: 1.) Keep digging, or 2.) find a different place to try to establish a mine. 

My second time playing Wurm was on the Independence server at approx. 23x, 46y*, I decided I needed my own mine, since there were none nearby. There was, however, a fairly steep slope to the west end of my deed. I decided that should be a great place to build a mine - the stone has to be close to there, right? 

160 dirt down I dug, making a longer and longer access ramp behind me. By 100 down, I had hit stone on only one corner there. I finally gave up and raided the nearby boat tunnel instead. 

* South of what is now called Balmoral Harbor, and on the south side of West Coast Highway (I built a guard tower that is still there, 7 years later!)

Indy is a special case, as the dirt layer over there seems to be the deepest in all of Wurm. If you are on the new cluster, I am finding the dirt layer to be quite shallow in most places. If the purpose of your digging is to open up a mine entrance, then all you need is to uncover 1 tile (all four corners of the tile must be dug to the rock). If instead you want to surface mine (which means to dig the rock down even further) then you will need to uncover all 4 tiles that surround the corner that you want to lower. If you want to lower a large area, then you should dig everything down to rock. If this seems like a large excavation process to you...well, it is. However, I have found that one of the most satisfying things in this game is that moment when all the dirt gets placed back over all of your hard work and everything is exactly as you had planned it to be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McGarnicle said:

However, I have found that one of the most satisfying things in this game is that moment when all the dirt gets placed back over all of your hard work and everything is exactly as you had planned it to be.

I've played this game for thousands of hours, and it's safe to say at least half of it has been spent terraforming.

It's weird how enjoyable it can wind up being