Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

More suggestions (part 5)

Economy

As I mentioned before, the economy in this game is a failure. It is based on the unrealistic assumption that items are indestructible and can be repaired endlessly (look at real world!). Such a system could be survived if the number of new players was constantly increasing and then medium-level crafters would have a constant demand for their goods.

However, with a limited and not very fast growing number of players, such a system causes inflation very quickly and in fact reduces the demand for goods below 50ql, which deters new and intermediate players even more.

There are several solutions for this problem.
- Make the number constantly increase (rather the least likely).

- Allow crafters to protect their products (seal, burn pottery items like) so that they can no longer be improved. Of course, if someone has a rare item, they don't have to protect it this way. This solution would create two markets, one for cheap and non-improvable items and one for more expensive items that would function as items function right now.

- Create an NPC merchant in the starting city that would buy many different items (tools, weapons, armors...), but with a ql and quantity limit for each player so that cannot be spammed. Some of these items could be available on the NPC market, where the new player can buy back that items for base price in the starting city.
The condition of the sale/purchase would be that you have to travel to the starting city, no CoD to NPC.

Armors
There should be a skill responsible for training the armor, just as there is a skill for all kinds of shields. If you bought armor 90ql, but you have armor skill 20, you should be able to use only a fragment of defense that this armor provides or get limited in movement and combat skill.

It makes little sense that at any time you can change the armor from cloth 90ql to plate 90ql and suddenly you change from archer to tank.

Armor training can work differently than other skills, and should also be much faster. It may be more like an alignment from religion, but not quite the same. After changing or removing your armor, your skill slowly starts to decline. When it reaches zero, only then does the training of the new armor begin. Skill increases not only during combat (but combat gives highest gain), but also during other activities.

Skill level should also affect armor damage during combat.

Weapons

Fighting skill should limit the ql of weapons that can be equipped, eg if you have FS 50 the maximum ql of weapons you can use is 50ql. Combined with the ability to block weapon/items upgrades, this would have an interesting effect on the market. Sellers would have an offer for different FS ranges. Thanks to this, even new and middle level crafters could compete with the best.

Edited by Darnok

no -1

no -1

no -1

ty, play the game a bit.. learn how it works.. suggest non nonsense ideas later.

pottery is already how you suggest.. clearly pointing you're too new and suggesting things you have no clue about.

armor idea is trash, rather go play minecraft than this ###### stinks in thought mode.. imagine it as content..

if you think weaponsmithing is something you can compete with... at 50 skill to make tons of 50ql weapons for new players... believe me.. in few minutes a well skilled player with right tools can make in times more than what you can create at ql50 in hours; skill matters, 'get gud kid';      mainly this idea will make fs grind suck as your gains depend on the damage done.. and with a toothpick.. you do ~nothing.. dragging your grind with month(s)... really unfun content change.. 

You or any other noob can skill to 70 or 90 in a matter of a week or bit over... with right time spent in the game to grind it.. right enchanted tools and amount of sleep powder, and that's far less than you'd imagine; anyone can do it, if you know how gains scale, ask in ca-help, ask in gl, ask 1-2-3-4-5 skilled players, gather some tips and go for it. We all learn and the so hated 90/+ accounts didn't just get there overnight.. most did spend months to get the skill, only a few actually do the speed grinds in a week or 2-3..   

anything besides WS .. you can grind quite fast to 90

#ydoibotheransweringtotheseposts

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

if you think weaponsmithing is something you can compete with... at 50 skill to make tons of 50ql weapons for new players... believe me.. in few minutes a well skilled player with right tools can make in times more than what you can create at ql50 in hours; skill matters, 'get gud kid';      mainly this idea will make fs grind suck as your gains depend on the damage done.. and with a toothpick.. you do ~nothing.. dragging your grind with month(s)... really unfun content change.. 

So you are saying that the game is extremely hostile to new players/crafters who are late to start the new server? And now, if a new player has decided to become a blacksmith and will make tools, he has no chance to sell his tools 30-40ql, because there is no demand for them?
If you tell a new player that he has to play for two months and during this time no one will buy his tools from him, and in order to earn anything, he should probably use alt to perform boring tasks, such a player will log out and uninstall the game.

Sure you might think my solutions are bad, but that won't change the fact that the current system is even worse. There has to be some solution to create a demand for medium ql items for new and mid-level players to thrive. Without it, how do you want to attract new players to the current servers? And without new consumers, even those 90 skill crafters will lose the market pretty soon.

14 minutes ago, Darnok said:

There has to be some solution to create a demand for medium ql items for new and mid-level players to thrive.

No, there isn't.

If such way existed, vet players would spam those in such quantities that new accounts still wouldn't be able to compete. Shorter actions and higher creation quality plus improving to mid-level quality taking 4-5 actions on vet accounts makes creation of such items a breeze.

Current system rewards you for your hard work. Economy can't be fixed because there are only 138 skills in the game, about 20 of them producing anything at all.

There are thousands of players using the same 20 skills, producing the same items.

The higher your skills the easier it gets to produce the same item so new account versus yours stands no chance to make anything, of any quality faster than you are.

This is the case in most games and real life as well. Unless you're coming in to the market backed by huge investment, you have to compete with the whales who rule that market for years. Any new player expecting anything else, in any game, is delusional.

Edited by Locath
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Locath said:

No, there isn't.

There is always a solution to every problem.

If such way existed, vet players would spam those in such quantities that new accounts still wouldn't be able to compete. Shorter actions and higher creation quality plus improving to mid-level quality taking 4-5 actions on vet accounts makes creation of such items a breeze.

The solution, if you produce or upgrade many of the same items, your action timer grows, so each action becomes slower. The average player making 3 swords will finish 3 swords faster than you if you forged today 30 swords.

It could work like a bar that loads in UI in skill tree at the Weapon Smithing skill with each subsequent action. The more you charge this bar, the slower you create or upgrade items from this skill tree. The higher goes this bar the more times the action fails too. Because in the normal world you have limitations such as fatigue and at some point you make more mistakes.

But actions from other skills are performed normally, so you can make fence for example in normal rate, waiting for the weapon smithing bar to be reduced.

Current system rewards you for your hard work. Economy can't be fixed because there are only 138 skills in the game, about 20 of them producing anything at all.

There are thousands of players using the same 20 skills, producing the same items.

The higher your skills the easier it gets to produce the same item so new account versus yours stands no chance to make anything, of any quality faster than you are.

I don't mind that the higher skill you have the easier you can do certain things (although I think in the real world iron would take as long to heat up for a novice as it is for a pro), but the fact you can spam crafting or upgrading items on a scale of tens or hundreds destroys this game.

This is the case in most games and real life as well. Unless you comin in to the market backed by huge investment, you have to compete with the whales who rule that market for years. Any new player expecting anything else, in any game, is delusional.

Solving this problem in the real world and in the game is very easy. The same solution is in the game, the fact that a 90 skill crafter can sell his 50 swords is due to CoD range, if the mail coverage is limited to a small area of the map or shipping costs are very high, local mid-level players will benefit.

Edited by Darnok

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

The more you charge this bar, the slower you create or upgrade items from this skill tree. The higher goes this bar the more times the action fails. Because in the normal world you have limitations such as fatigue and at some point you make more mistakes.

You never built a colossus, did you? Or made 1k nails or anything in bulk at all?

Or imped the horseshoes for your 12 horses in one sitting

Or farmed

Or harvested a forest of nuts

Or launched Wurm?

3 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Solving this problem in the real world and in the game is very easy. The same solution is in the game, the fact that a 90 skill crafter can sell his 50 swords is due to CoD range, if the mail coverage is limited to a small area of the map or shipping costs are very high, local mid-level players will benefit.

Unilever, Mondelez, Amazon (the whale equivalents of Wurm Vets) don't seem affected at all. The small producers are because they don't have the logistic behind it.

What would stop me from karma-porting with inventory full of 100s of items to where i want to sell them? I have enough karma on alts to keep doing this forever to mitigate the mail cost or it's range limitation. The small guy (a.k.a. new player) doesn't.

Just now, Locath said:

You never built a colossus, did you? Or made 1k nails or anything in bulk at all?

Or imped the horseshoes for your 12 horses in one sitting

Or farmed

Or harvested a forest of nuts

Or launched Wurm?

Maybe it's time to take a break from the game? You give yourself some examples of what makes the game difficult for new players who start the game one month after the server starts. The fact that older players can do everything on a large scale, but what if they couldn't...

Just now, Locath said:

Unilever, Mondelez, Amazon (the whale equivalents of Wurm Vets) don't seem affected at all. The small producers are because they don't have the logistic behind it.

What would stop me from karma-porting with inventory full of 100s of items to where i want to sell them? I have enough karma on alts to keep doing this forever to mitigate the mail cost or it's range limitation. The small guy (a.k.a. new player) doesn't.

So you will use it if you decide that it will pay off for you, and I will get on my horse and take my 3 swords to 3 neighbors and it will be enough for me.

didnt even read as this guy is always tripping with his suggestions. Anything worth reading have i missed? :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darnok said:

It could work like a bar that loads in UI in skill tree at the Weapon Smithing skill with each subsequent action. The more you charge this bar, the slower you create or upgrade items from this skill tree. The higher goes this bar the more times the action fails too. Because in the normal world you have limitations such as fatigue and at some point you make more mistakes.

that sounds like a horrible idea that makes the game more tedious for the majority of players solely to appease the minority that play the market.

11 minutes ago, Darnok said:

if the mail coverage is limited to a small area of the map or shipping costs are very high, local mid-level players will benefit.

If the mail coverage is limited or costs are higher depending on distance, the new player who currently can buy my 90ql weapon for pennies will pay the same price + CoD or they will be punished by this system and have to use a 50ql weapon from their local supplier which will likely be more expensive than a 90ql weapon from me. 

Put yourself in this situation. You started the game a month ago, yo nailed the basics and want to start exploring. Your option is to spend an hour in a rowboat to get closer to me to buy cheap weapon of 90ql or you buy one locally because you don't want to sail for an hour. You get it in 80 minutes anyway because the seller's mailbox is unlikely to have high cast on it or you spend an hour waiting for it to be delivered on a horse after "lemme just finish imping it" and it will cost you about as much if not more as it would cost you from my warehouse full of 90ql weapons which just wait to be sold.

6 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Maybe it's time to take a break from the game? You give yourself some examples of what makes the game difficult for new players who start the game one month after the server starts. The fact that older players can do everything on a large scale, but what if they couldn't...

Those are the players who kept this boat afloat for over a decade.

Those examples show exactly how little thought you put in to this suggestion. If you want a big farm - you make a big farm. You pay the upkeep and all of a sudden, you are punished by the system because you went big, as if spending 4h every day farming those tiles isn't enough.

You start building a colossus and after punching in X number of clay lumps, your action timer gets progressively longer. Colossus consists of 4k elements, by the time you get to the last one, you have retired.

You improve horseshoes in one sitting because what's the point in imping one of 16 on a wagon to 90ql while rest are damaged, same thing happens.

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

that sounds like a horrible idea that makes the game more tedious for the majority of players solely to appease the minority that play the market.

If you say that after an hour of doing the same activity and charging bar, it's not time to change and do something else, then we have a different definition of the word tedious.

17 minutes ago, Locath said:

If the mail coverage is limited or costs are higher depending on distance, the new player who currently can buy my 90ql weapon for pennies will pay the same price + CoD or they will be punished by this system and have to use a 50ql weapon from their local supplier which will likely be more expensive than a 90ql weapon from me

Put yourself in this situation. You started the game a month ago, yo nailed the basics and want to start exploring. Your option is to spend an hour in a rowboat to get closer to me to buy cheap weapon of 90ql or you buy one locally because you don't want to sail for an hour. You get it in 80 minutes anyway because the seller's mailbox is unlikely to have high cast on it or you spend an hour waiting for it to be delivered on a horse after "lemme just finish imping it" and it will cost you about as much if not more as it would cost you from my warehouse full of 90ql weapons which just wait to be sold.

A local crafter would not be more expensive after you add your travel costs... you would have a choice better ql vs travel time, right now you don't have to make it.

Those are the players who kept this boat afloat for over a decade.

Those examples show exactly how little thought you put in to this suggestion. If you want a big farm - you make a big farm. You pay the upkeep and all of a sudden, you are punished by the system because you went big, as if spending 4h every day farming those tiles isn't enough.

You start building a colossus and after punching in X number of clay lumps, your action timer gets progressively longer. Colossus consists of 4k elements, by the time you get to the last one, you have retired.

You improve horseshoes in one sitting because what's the point in imping one of 16 on a wagon to 90ql while rest are damaged, same thing happens.

And? Then you won't build a colossus in one day. I guess this should be the point if great achievements are spread over time?

Why do you even assume that repeating the same activity several hundred times per hour should be rewarded? Spammers should be punished, not rewarded. You said that the game contains over 100 different skills, why should you be rewarded for leveling only one all day long?

So you have a choice to reduce your farm or hire a few people who want to develop farming too. It would be a natural impulse to build a community. Unless some fanatics start creating 4-5 alts for farming, but that's their problem.

Edited by Darnok

4 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Why do you even assume that repeating the same activity several hundred times per hour should be rewarded? Spammers should be punished, not rewarded.

You understand that building a single floor of a structure can use 1k bricks and 1k mortar, internal walls included, right?

You understand that you get skill gains for performing actions?

I appreciate that you see some problems with the game, we all do have some pet peeves with it but spamming suggestions just for the sake of it, without giving it a moment's thought seems like "if one of them is implemented, no matter if suggested before or not, i'll be able to gloat like in Salem" kind of approach.

Wurm has a very specific skilling system which keeps us all here. This and other systems here are the reason why we play the game for so long. There isn't anything comparable to Wurm out there and this secures the loyal players premiums and upkeep money for the devs.

You hinder players the ability to build their dream castle in a week or two, after they spent years working on those skills, and those players are likely to not build the castle or anything else and simply leave.

11 minutes ago, Darnok said:

A local crafter would not be more expensive after you add your travel costs... you would have a choice better ql vs travel time, right now you don't have to make it.

Any local crafter with more than 2 brain cells would likely raise their price due to lack of competition in the area. This is how economy works.

There is a common theme to your suggestions: Shaft the vets who play for years because -insert a non-valid argument like "unfair" or "mwaah, i want to".

So far you haven't backed up any of it with any deeper analysis of what happens to the rest of the food chain IF this or any other of your suggestions was actually implemented. They hinge on a very narrow view of a single activity or task without showing how to solve other problems presented by people commenting on the subject.

• Like 1

You understand that building a single floor of a structure can use 1k bricks and 1k mortar, internal walls included, right?

You understand that you get skill gains for performing actions?

And in the Middle Ages it took a year to build such a house.

Yes, but do you need to level 20 points in one day with the same skill?

Wurm has a very specific skilling system which keeps us all here. This and other systems here are the reason why we play the game for so long. There isn't anything comparable to Wurm out there and this secures the loyal players premiums and upkeep money for the devs.

Not too many players...

You hinder players the ability to build their dream castle in a week or two, after they spent years working on those skills, and those players are likely to not build the castle or anything else and simply leave.

They will still be able to build a castle at the same time, but not alone...

Any local crafter with more than 2 brain cells would likely raise their price due to lack of competition in the area. This is how economy works.

And every player in the vicinity of such a crafter will start to wonder if it is not worth investing time in the development of this skill, if there is such a large demand for these items.

There is a common theme to your suggestions: Shaft the vets who play for years because -insert a non-valid argument like "unfair" or "mwaah, i want to".

If these super veterans for over 10 years did not manage to bring the game to a state that can be considered balanced and attract more players with their suggestions, then perhaps that does not speak well about them?

So far you haven't backed up any of it with any deeper analysis of what happens to the rest of the food chain IF this or any other of your suggestions was actually implemented. They hinge on a very narrow view of a single activity or task without showing how to solve other problems presented by people commenting on the subject.

What other problems?

2 minutes ago, Darnok said:

And in the Middle Ages it took a year to build such a house.

Yes, but do you need to level 20 points in one day with the same skill?

Yes, roughly similar to what it takes by Wurm callendar.

Yes, to be able to compete with those vets which i should not speak of.

Starting a game and being told by the system "sorry, man, i know you'd like to be a mason but you better go making spindles now because i hate you. By the way, after you make 20 spindles, switch to making nails because of reasons."

Not too many players...

Making things harder won't improve this.

They will still be able to build a castle at the same time, but not alone...

Which means that multiple characters wouldn't be able to to the same because they are working on one structure because someone with 99 skill can't handle it according to this system.

5 minutes ago, Darnok said:

And every player in the vicinity of such a crafter will start to wonder if it is not worth investing time in the development of this skill, if there is such a large demand for these items.

Which brings it back to the current state, except in smaller pockets AND whales who have deeds on every server still rule the market by karmaporting alts who join their own deeds on rotation.

By the way, CoD used to cost 1s per item. It was later changed to 10c within the same server and 20c to another server. This was changed to 1c and that was cherished by all. Not a single person complained.

7 minutes ago, Darnok said:

If these super veterans for over 10 years did not manage to bring the game to a state that can be considered balanced and attract more players with their suggestions, then perhaps that does not speak well about them?

Again, Those are people who you want to punish for being loyal and for working on their skills for years, by suggesting to hinder everyone's progress and effective production capacity, vets AND new players alike. 

9 minutes ago, Darnok said:

What other problems?

-insert about 100 quotes from other posts here-

Also,

6 hours ago, Darnok said:

- Allow crafters to protect their products (seal, burn pottery items like) so that they can no longer be improved. Of course, if someone has a rare item, they don't have to protect it this way. This solution would create two markets, one for cheap and non-improvable items and one for more expensive items that would function as items function right now.

Who in their right mind would buy an item which can't be re-imped? What issue does this fix? Newbies not being able to buy a 50ql item because they can't sell their produce, now have to buy multiple of the item which they couldn't afford in the first place. Sellers make their own items so they care very little about this and they again are selling 90ql item for 1s (can't be reimped but will last longer) rather than 4 50ql of the same which all have much longer timers and wear down faster and will cost more than the 90ql item. This fixes nothing except making new players less likely to buy because the item is effectively single use.

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

- Create an NPC merchant in the starting city that would buy many different items (tools, weapons, armors...), but with a ql and quantity limit for each player so that cannot be spammed. Some of these items could be available on the NPC market, where the new player can buy back that items for base price in the starting city.

It's called a trader. Traders generating money in to the economy was JUST removed recently. Replaced with adding to upkeep of their deed.

Arbitrary setting of prices at anything higher than extreme low, in any game, makes people mass produce and sell to the NPC rather than other players (multiple free accounts to forget about the item sell limit)

Pumping money in to the economy is simply something that doesn't happen in Wurm (other than from prayers but those are negligible amounts) because the whole system is built around currency having value and inflation based on what players buy from the web shop versus what is drained from the game via upkeep and premium paid in token. Putting money in to this system out of thin air is not something that would be wise from CCAB standpoint and would only cause further inflation (effectively, a country printing more money).

There should be a skill responsible for training the armor, just as there is a skill for all kinds of shields. If you bought armor 90ql, but you have armor skill 20, you should be able to use only a fragment of defense that this armor provides or get limited in movement and combat skill.

It makes little sense that at any time you can change the armor from cloth 90ql to plate 90ql and suddenly you change from archer to tank.

Armor training can work differently than other skills, and should also be much faster. It may be more like an alignment from religion, but not quite the same. After changing or removing your armor, your skill slowly starts to decline. When it reaches zero, only then does the training of the new armor begin. Skill increases not only during combat (but combat gives highest gain), but also during other activities.

Skill level should also affect armor damage during combat.

Adding skills beyond the current 138 is highly likely to mess up everyone's affinities from the cooking system.

If you have ever seen an armour, you know that a cheap and easy to make chain mail will rip just from wearing it while decent armor will stop an arrow and a sword blade alike. It doesn't matter how many times you wore it, it will work exactly the same, no matter how much you learned about it. What you train is parrying and shield using. Armor is something you wear and in real life, there aren't any skills you need to train, past being strong enough to move in it.

If you wear your sweat pants and get kicked, you will feel it. Wear plate and the kicker will. This isn't made up for the purpose of the game, this is as close to reality as it gets. Taking of your sweats and putting on plate literally turns you in to a tank.

Skill decay existed and it was uniformly hated by those who can't compete with people who can play 12h+ a day and not let their skills decay. Just another chore.

Weapons

Fighting skill should limit the ql of weapons that can be equipped, eg if you have FS 50 the maximum ql of weapons you can use is 50ql. Combined with the ability to block weapon/items upgrades, this would have an interesting effect on the market. Sellers would have an offer for different FS ranges. Thanks to this, even new and middle level crafters could compete with the best.

So you start with a 10ql sword which you can't use.

Everything kills you and you can't save your own life by wielding a better/sharper/balanced sword, instead you have to use a rusty old butter knife to learn how to use a weapon which is effectively easier to use?

Having held a good few swords in real life, i can tell you, people who invested in decent gear have it much easier than those who didn't. Balance being the main attribute but not only that.

Market being flooded with 10, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45 and so on quality weapons won't make a dent in the economy, getting FS to 70 takes a few days and 70ql weapons are made by those damn vets again!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Locath said:

Yes, roughly similar to what it takes by Wurm callendar.

Yes, to be able to compete with those vets which i should not speak of.

Starting a game and being told by the system "sorry, man, i know you'd like to be a mason but you better go making spindles now because i hate you. By the way, after you make 20 spindles, switch to making nails because of reasons."

I wonder how many millions of fans of single player games in which the quest system works exactly this way will not agree with you...

There is a reason why in a single player game you cannot spam the same skill for several hours, otherwise you could finish each game in a few hours.

12 minutes ago, Locath said:

Making things harder won't improve this.

But making the game less boring and less mindless grind will attract more players. As for the difficulties, agree, Wurm is complicated, maybe even too complicated, and some systems offer too few advantages in relation to their complexity level.

Fun fact: With sleep bonus and coc all imping skills besides weapon smithing can go to 90 in 2 weeks without even really playing too too much.

Ok im going to be the bad guy and just summarize this suggestion.

A new players wants to compete with crafting with old timers and suggest to make life easier for new players without them putting the work for it.  Also, punish the old timers that took time to grind out skill because I guess its not fair for new players because equality?

You dont really expect to just become a smith and instantly compete with master smith do you?

Weapon and Armor effective quality base on skill is terrible and will not help economy for low lvl crafters at all it will just make the grind for new players for FS and Skill worse because now they are limited on gear base on their skill.  Have you tried combat with crap ql gear? its terrible and slow. 

Plus old timers will out compete lowbie crafters at any level because crafting low lvl item is so much easier to make.  If there really was a market for mid lvl 50ql gear I pretty sure the old timers would have that cornered to but that market is dead for a reason.  Why would a new players spend money on sub par stuff when they can get more bang for their coppers by buying higher ql items.  I mean just like in RL yes you can buy yourself a cheap hammer at Ross or Walmart with some unknown brand but will it last you your lifetime?  Highly doubt it. 

14 minutes ago, Darnok said:

There is a reason why in a single player game you cannot spam the same skill for several hours, otherwise you could finish each game in a few hours.

you're kidding, right?

A bit of consistency in your views please... in other threads you were convincing me that PvE is not a race, and here you try to convince me that in order to earn money, as a crafter I have to race with the best players...

As for punishing high skill players, my idea doesn't punish them, they will still be able to make 3 swords much faster and easier than a low skill player, but if they try to craft weapons on a large scale they will be slowed down.

So as a high level player you will have a choice either to create 3 high quality swords and earn a lot from them or try to compete with medium players and make 3x 50ql swords.

Edited by Darnok

5 minutes ago, Darnok said:

As for punishing high skill players, my idea doesn't punish them, they will still be able to make 3 swords much faster and easier than a low skill player, but if they try to craft weapons on a large scale they will be slowed down.

Why slow anyone down? The blacksmith might not necessarily be using a sword, making and selling swords is their bread and butter.

If i'm a farmer, i want to meet the market demand and not be artificially capped at 20 per day. It's up to the competition to catch up.

If i'm a blacksmith, i want to meet my customers demand and not have to tell them "i'll imp your stuff tomorrow because the timers are making it impossible." I have a reputation which makes people come back, i now have to tell them "go find someone else"?

I like your response to the rest of the issues i posted as well...

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

What other problems?