Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

New creatures - termites, eat carts and boats if they are left too long.

12 hours ago, Muse said:

I would rather see more incentives to get the owners of some of these vehicles to come back and play Wurm again.  In my opinion its not the number of vehicles that is the problem, it's finding a way to encourage their owners to come back and use them again.  I don't see how decaying their property is going to encourage them to come back. As long as the vehicles exist there's a chance that some of these owners can find and use them again, given the opportunity and incentive.  I would rather not give up on them. Just a thought.  

If it's been a while since I played, I'd rather have an email once a year saying:  "Your Corbita is parked outside Southport, why not come sailing in Wurm Online?" Register for premium this December and get a free gift!"  

Yes, this would be preferable.

Also, there should be some way to recycle vehicles, by the owner.  Give players a reason to tear down their small cart when they make a large cart to replace it, and then tear down the large cart when they build a wagon to replace it.  Have the row boat and small sailboat able to be loaded onto the deep-draught boats and have any boat hitchable to another boat to be towed.  Make it worthwhile to not just leave stuff lying about.

• Like 2

I appreciate the idea to get an opportunity to recycle vehicles in some way. I have an excess of small carts as well, ok may push them on my backyard lava :) but would love to get an opportunity for a more meaningful disposal as these carts have served me well when I was a beginner and pulling them around holding all my stuff I could not carry otherwise, above and below ground. And yes ++1 to loading and/or towing smaller vessels onto the large ones, at least caravel and cog, maybe corbita.

As to the termites or whatever idea, -1. In fact, it is hard to say when a ship or cart/wagon is definitely unused, and it is pleasant for a returning player to find her vehicles from a long gone past. And any accelerated decay would create additional chores.

• Like 2

The termites idea was really just a bit of a flail at the clutter problem, largely for humourous effect, but the discussion has been quite constructive.  I have seen separate suggestions for material recovery, and for small boat loading and towing, and these seemed to harmonize well with encouraging players to not just leave their old stuff lying about.

Another idea is to use small carts and rowing boats to make furniture and decorations.  For example, cut a rowing boat in two to make a pair of display shelf units, or turn a cart into a bed. A wagon-wheel candelabra.  Prop up a cart and use the thing as a large planter.

lets have the locks rust after 3mths if no movement on everything off deed ,and towing allowed and a   (scrap yard )  where we tow the boats and other stuff to at (one place ) for all the servers. when there it is exchanged for say a set price for each different thing ,10c etc, this gets the players to clean up and or salvage because they will make money and its another thing todo in the game it puts a value on all the junk aswell 

Not sure how the rate is for the carts to decay over time, depending QL i guess and what kinda material or wood. But sitting there for a long time is crazy, i been seeing too many pile up. Really bad in Haven Landing, i had ask a GM to move this one off the road and only had 1QL with no name on it. So i imped, still nothing once i got it up to 18+ Finally the GM push outside of Haven so i can push it some place or out of the way. Wanted to see if i can use that cart with no name, after Imped it, didnt work :(

This can be the same issues with boats too, just aint please about it and not much you can do.

Edited by Wildelf
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

Not sure how the rate is for the carts to decay over time, depending QL i guess and what kinda material or wood. But sitting there for a long time is crazy, i been seeing too many pile up. Really bad in Haven Landing, i had ask a GM to move this one off the road and only had 1QL with no name on it. So i imped, still nothing once i got it up to 18+ Finally the GM push outside of Haven so i can push it some place or out of the way. Wanted to see if i can use that cart with no name, after Imped it, didnt work :(

This can be the same issues with boats too, just aint please about it and not much you can do.

There are many warnings about using abandoned carts, as you can get badly caught out if you take them onto someone else's deed where you have don't have enough permission to use it or get at anything in it.  You ignore the warnings at your peril.  I did, and when the inevitable happened I was lucky to only lose an empty chest (although that stung because the chest was a gift from a neighbour).   The problem of carts is made worse because making one is a journal task.  In my village, a lot of the abandoned stuff get shoved in the town mine so it isn't an eyesore.  

I reckon that public marinas at spawn towns would be useful, so when a GM moves a boat they can move it to a marina birth.  It would be out of the way, would visually fit in its location, and would still be available for the owner if/when they come back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

There are many warnings about using abandoned carts, as you can get badly caught out if you take them onto someone else's deed where you have don't have enough permission to use it or get at anything in it.  You ignore the warnings at your peril.  I did, and when the inevitable happened I was lucky to only lose an empty chest (although that stung because the chest was a gift from a neighbour).   The problem of carts is made worse because making one is a journal task.  In my village, a lot of the abandoned stuff get shoved in the town mine so it isn't an eyesore.  

I reckon that public marinas at spawn towns would be useful, so when a GM moves a boat they can move it to a marina birth.  It would be out of the way, would visually fit in its location, and would still be available for the owner if/when they come back.

When i first played the game, last year it happen to me once. I was roaming around in Indy, exploring, etc. Found this rowboat i can use and parked on someone deed. Then i just realize i cant get it back lol. New players may ended up like i did, even if they make a cart or boat, they will get that message. The toughest parts is the boat, if that boat is not on a deed and has a hostile player or players doesnt like that one owned that boat, can push it out so far into the ocean. I have seen some, sadly they couldnt afford a anchor for it.