Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

New creatures - termites, eat carts and boats if they are left too long.

Would be nice to add an action to Tar to "protect" against termites or somesuch, similar to applying tar to wooden floors. 

That way (1) there is another use for tar! and also (2) if a player knows in advance that they need to take a vacation, an extended break, upcoming scheduling conflict, etc.... they have some action that they can use to help delay the termites' destruction. That will differentiate a returning player's vehicles from truly abandoned things.

And, in case it isnt obvious  - I like this idea! +1, please help us clear out piles and piles of abandoned carts and wagons and bins

• Like 2

Yeah i wouldnt mind having something like that, i seen so many boats and ships that have been abandoned. Even cant bash a wagon cart either, i wanted to park it over a campfire, sadly didnt do anything. So on Indy and other servers as well, there are so many things out there are laying around like a junk yard :(

Around my new place, i been trying to clean up, but gonna take awhile.

• Like 1

Nice idea, I'd also suggest here some animals that attack directly your horse, like if its tamed

+1

Reel it back a bit. An idea for animals that attack horses is way off base from the original suggestion. 

Tune the original suggestion. It's not necessary for that to be an actual animal - just make it a decay mechanic that is called Termites. If a cart sits off-deed for more than two weeks without being used (mounted, inventory changed, pushed, etc), then animals on it get unhitched and it starts taking extra decay damage ticks until it's either used or destroyed. 

Simple, straightforward, and easily understandable. 

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nekojin said:

Tune the original suggestion. It's not necessary for that to be an actual animal - just make it a decay mechanic that is called Termites. If a cart sits off-deed for more than two weeks without being used (mounted, inventory changed, pushed, etc), then animals on it get unhitched and it starts taking extra decay damage ticks until it's either used or destroyed. 

Simple, straightforward, and easily understandable. 

I like the idea apart from the bit in bold, just unhitch the animals on the last tick before destroyed , that way if a person logs back in and his cart is 90 % damaged he can repair it and hasn't lost his animals.

• Like 1

Given what people are saying about the masses of carts lying around, aren't animals more likely to die from old age or starvation before the carts hit 90% damage anyway? 

1 minute ago, Nekojin said:

Given what people are saying about the masses of carts lying around, aren't animals more likely to die from old age or starvation before the carts hit 90% damage anyway? 

Not if we had a new system that would speed up decay, also if left on a grass tile and cared for some animals last a long time it seems.

2 hours ago, Nekojin said:

It's not necessary for that to be an actual animal - just make it a decay mechanic that is called Termites.

That's pretty much how I was thinking.  A specific mechanic with some logical attribution.  Based on inactivity of the object, and even lack of traffic in the tiles around it.  Even a bit of RNG wouldn't hurt terribly - after a period start rolling to see if termites have started on it.  Plonk a termite mound on an adjacent tile for everyone to see 🙂.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:24 AM, Amata said:

Would be nice to add an action to Tar to "protect" against termites or somesuch, similar to applying tar to wooden floors. 

Yep, that would be great.  I like this notion of treating the vehicle to prepare it for your long absence.  If the action stops the usability of the item it would have to be applied before an absence and then removed upon return.  I wouldn't want it to last indefinitely, in any case, but it means someone who has to be away can treat their object, and that treatment will show so that everyone can see that it may be fallow but it isn't abandoned.

Edited by TheTrickster

I can see this being a beneficial mechanic that would massively inconvenience me XD

I live away from the shore on the old cluster, and due to deeds just evaporating my boat is often just anchored out in the wild.  I use it about once every 1--2 months.

The need to apply preservation to it would be a pain, and as a Fo priest if it were to decay away I'd not be able to build a replacement.  Odds are I'd end up losing it to termites.

However, this would help clear up abandoned carts which can last years. 

A longer timer based on player activity AND lack of use for termite mound spawn might be the middle ground here.

Added bonus: "Source Termites" that murder shacks around source huts.

• Like 3

I'm inclined to only want to have it affect carts, really - carts are trivially made in under an hour - maybe a little bit longer for a completely new player. Boats, even the smallest of them, take notably more time to create.

• Like 2

Disagree hard. You want abandoned vehicles gone? Much easier ways. 

The lock just needs to poof when noone has ridden/used the vehicle for a while. Add owner not logging in and you got a good system

Well if you want, you can push that wagon carts all you want outta your way, but if someone made a wagon cart to park on or nearby someone deed for harassing, then nothing can do about it except push it around some more. Not much can do with bigger boats, they can be around for very long time. Sadly cant ask the GMs to park it somewhere else, unless its on your deed.

When i deed my new place, i have another elf and i parked her near my place that i wanted to clean up. I deed that spot of course, costing almost 5s, but get the job done. But i cant destroy everything though.

Some players do harass others by building wagon carts and/or boats and spam them on or nearby their plots and that isnt good.

I never saw harassing by building vehicles. As to carts and wagons, it is always possible to push them into a mine, then collapse it and wait for cavein to do the trick. Or just create a lava tile and push the vehicles on.

As to the new servers, most carts are of low ql and will be gone fairly fast. Ships are bit different, but in fact it would mean to create new chores for those who want to maintain their vessels moored far away (like my caravel).

Similar proposals have been made and rejected again and again. So another -1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nekojin said:

If a cart sits off-deed for more than two weeks without being used (mounted, inventory changed, pushed, etc), then animals on it get unhitched and it starts taking extra decay damage ticks until it's either used or destroyed. 

Thank you for remembering to bring this up!
I can't stand the sight of animals stuck hitched to an abandoned vehicle, slowly starving to death. 

As much as I'm greedy and selfish, and obviously would want to have the animals (and any gear) for myself - in the case of abandoned, starving animals, I would be very happy for those animals to be auto-freed and able to go graze, no matter who ends up "finding" them in the wild. 

12 hours ago, Muzukurin said:

The lock just needs to poof when noone has ridden/used the vehicle for a while. Add owner not logging in and you got a good system

I'd honestly be absolutely fine with this approach, too. 

3 hours ago, Amata said:

Thank you for remembering to bring this up!
I can't stand the sight of animals stuck hitched to an abandoned vehicle, slowly starving to death. 

As much as I'm greedy and selfish, and obviously would want to have the animals (and any gear) for myself - in the case of abandoned, starving animals, I would be very happy for those animals to be auto-freed and able to go graze, no matter who ends up "finding" them in the wild. 

That the sad part of the game, seeing animals suffer like that and pretty much cant do much about it. When i first start playing, its break my heart seeing that happen and a dead horse just laying there. There are some good players respect that and roleplay out their character well and some do the opposite too. But most of them just dont realize that.

When i starting learning the ropes how to play the game, i had several players trying to teach me and take me out on a adventure and unfort it didnt go well :(

termites and rust ,3 mths no movement off deed termites with a mound . with rust on locks 2 mth for everything off deed that way horses free, prob fix bit o lag 

On 10/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, Wildelf said:

That the sad part of the game, seeing animals suffer like that and pretty much cant do much about it. When i first start playing, its break my heart seeing that happen and a dead horse just laying there. There are some good players respect that and roleplay out their character well and some do the opposite too. But most of them just dont realize that.

When i starting learning the ropes how to play the game, i had several players trying to teach me and take me out on a adventure and unfort it didnt go well :(

I'm with you on this, though I know and am often reminded that they are just virtual, it's still the principal of the thing. The animal lover in me often over rides the knowing that it is just pixels and programing. 

As for termites I personally spend more time then I care to repairing off deed buildings and would find this just that much more tedious.

Edited by Katrat

Either the termites and/or the torch to burn it! Like that orb shaker to seal the mine entrance, could use something like that to buy one, but that gonna be costly though. The priests should have that ability to cast termites, destroy w/e on those vehicles. But what if that player came back six months later and see his/her boat gone? Aint gonna be pretty though. Those ships take alot of efforts and believe most of them bought it from ship builders instead of making it themselves.

I would say, if the deed is abandoned more than three months and hardly no one will want to deed over that plot, cause its ugly and beside take alot of efforts to clean up the mess too. On the same server, the GMs should teleport that boat/ships to nearest spawning points. For example, on Indy, should be moved either Haven Market Docks or The Howl. Several times i tried to contact GMs about removing or moving those boats and ships outta the areas, that nothing is around and sadly i couldnt deed that far out, they wont do nothing about it.

Now for wagon carts, those are very easy to make and should be able to bash it!

I would rather see more incentives to get the owners of some of these vehicles to come back and play Wurm again.  In my opinion its not the number of vehicles that is the problem, it's finding a way to encourage their owners to come back and use them again.  I don't see how decaying their property is going to encourage them to come back. As long as the vehicles exist there's a chance that some of these owners can find and use them again, given the opportunity and incentive.  I would rather not give up on them. Just a thought.  

If it's been a while since I played, I'd rather have an email once a year saying:  "Your Corbita is parked outside Southport, why not come sailing in Wurm Online?" Register for premium this December and get a free gift!"  

• Like 3

No! We can't hunt termites, but yes for animals that would destroy wooden vehicles and structures...

Beaver_GettyImages-1160279429.jpg

• Like 1

I was (semi-jokingly) suggesting a mechanism for dealing with abandoned stuff.  Why would I want that to just be part of the bestiary, subject to spawn rates, hunting and other unbalancing suppressions?  This is as far off base from what I was suggesting as the comment to have something attack tamed horses.