Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mmmslash

Unable to Launch Application - java.lang.NullPointerException

Howdy folks, having a bit of trouble.

Go to the site, hit Launch Wurm, get an Application Error.

"Unable to Launch the Application"

I hit details, and get this under Exceptions:

"

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.wurmonline.client.e.b(SourceFile:1119)

at class.gq.<init>(SourceFile:58)

at class.gq.a(SourceFile:214)

at com.wurmonline.client.WurmLauncher.main(SourceFile:157)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

"

I use Firefox, which I read has issues with launching jnlp files? I'm using a 64-bit version of Vista, and have the latest version of Java.

I browsed the forums, and found one other case with a person very similar to mine, but he simply said he fixed it, by making Firefox launch the jnlp's, seemingly without the prompt and the way Firefox downloads things before running them, or something?

I'm at a complete loss, can someone be of assistance?

Any help, at all, would be extraordinarily appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Couple of things for you to try. You could right click on the 'Go to Wurm'  and 'Save link as' and save the jnlp file to your desktop, you should then be able to run that file direct.

Or, type javaws -viewer in the search prompt on the start menu, this will open the java cache page. You can see from here if the wurm app has installed correctly.

If it has installed you can right click on the wurm app and select 'Install shortcut' this will put the proper icon onto your desktop.

If it hasn't installed properly, you can clear the cache and try again.

Hopefully these tips will help.

@teal

That's the way I have been trying to do things, Firefox doesn;t seem to give me an option to directly launch the .jnlp into Javaws from the get go, I need to select open from the dialog, and that's when it borks.

I went through the Cache Page, and it's not listed, I presume because my client fails to do anything at all?

@Dashiva

I try to run the Unstable link you suggested, but this one actually crashes, I get red crash notification, with the following information:

"

Crashed while starting up launcher. The error was: <3184>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of temporary launch log:

Time is Sun Nov 22 22:10:37 EST 2009Running client version 2.6.8-1805 [unstable]=== System information ===Operating system: Windows XP (arch: x86, version: 5.1)Java version: 1.6.0_17 (Sun Microsystems Inc.) &lt;http://java.sun.com/>Jvm version: 14.3-b01 (Sun Microsystems Inc.) [Java HotSpot Client VM]Available CPUs: 3====== CLIENT CRASH ======Crashed while starting up launcher.java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 3184 at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolder2.getFileChooserIcon(Unknown Source) at sun.awt.shell.Win32ShellFolderManager2.get(Unknown Source) at sun.awt.shell.ShellFolder.get(Unknown Source) at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel$LazyWindowsIcon.createValue(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getFromHashtable(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.UIDefaults.get(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.get(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getIcon(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.UIManager.getIcon(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI.installIcons(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI.installDefaults(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI.installUI(Unknown Source) at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI.installUI(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JFileChooser.updateUI(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JFileChooser.setup(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.wurmonline.client.WurmLauncher.a(SourceFile:369) at com.wurmonline.client.WurmLauncher.b(SourceFile:233) at com.wurmonline.client.WurmLauncher.main(SourceFile:142) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source) at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

"

I'm at a loss.

This seems to be a bug in Java that happens if you run in XP compatibility mode. It should work if you disable the compatibility mode.

Should be faster than waiting for the workaround. :)

I wasn't aware I was running anything in XP compatibility mode.

When i go to the properties of the .jnlp it doesn't even give me a set of compatibility modes, like a .exe would.

I know this is awfully novice, but can you point me in the right direction?

Edit: I checked Javaws.exe, and it is not running under any sort of compatibility. Is it another file I should be looking into?

The executable actually running the client is javaw.exe.

You can tell the compatibility mode from the "Operating system: Windows XP (arch: x86, version: 5.1)" in the crash log.

Not currently running under any sort of Compatibility.

120rzh4.jpg

Set Javaw.exe to run as administrator.

Great success was had, it's now installing.

Thanks a bunch for the help, regardless.